Cultivated Reef

Aqueon 8.3G shrimp tank

Reefer1957

Hey folks.  Newbie here, well sorta.  Was in the hobby 15 years ago.  Boy how things have changed and prices also!

Saw the Aqueon 8.3 Shrimp tank which is has two pieces of glass in the front, one upright and the other at 45 degrees to the surface.  Very interesting tank.  Was wondering if anyone else considered.  The only negative (which can also be a positive) is unless you’re staring right into the 45 degree portion,  when looking at the tank straight on you will see distorted image like a broken landscape.  Comments?

Saw this tank too, looked cool.  One thing potentially, when you go to scrape the glass of algae, you’ll need to have your arm at even more of an angle to get around that 45 degree top piece.

For some reason I was thinking it came with a specially shaped mag cleaner... 

I've seen the tank - and I think it's really cool.  But I haven't seen one with actual water in it so I can't comment to the actual experience of looking at the front or through the angled window.

I will say the one I saw had crappy silicone seams...  I think the first thing I would do in any aqueon tank is scrap the seams clean and re-do them with a much cleaner thin seam. 

If you put the tank on a table or desk where sometimes you're seated and sometimes you're standing it could be pretty useful having the window.  Also shrimp tend to hang at the bottom so if you actually use it for shrimp then it should provide a cool point of view. 

• 2 weeks later...

So now being up and running for two weeks with a ai prime on it, AMP got it right.  The 45 degree angle reflects the light right out at you.  Looking down into the 45 degree it does not.  You have to find the spot where it doesn't when looking head on.      Strip lighting less work since they are directly about the tank.  Have to rethink the tank if I want to use the AI Prime.  The AI prime might be for sale soon.  Or I may just switch over to Rimless 14 G cube

• Like 1