Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

SPS 12.5 Gallon Micro-Reefs Aquariums AIO evolution!

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
19 minutes ago, sadie said:

Nice tank!!  I have the same chiller in my 16 gal and it works great!!  Love the little gobies

Hi Sadie,

Had I found your thread on the 16 gal with the chiller, I would have made a quicker decision to purchase it based on you having it my friend.  But I am glad I found your thread!  Coming back to the reefing world has been new challenges and remembering old ones and stepping over them.

IslandofTiki is back and has a live thread going in the pico section.  Sadie, did you see my other thread on the 30 gallon temperate system?  It is going to be an awesome journal of a cold water build here on nanoreefs. 

Wow, it just feels great talking to you again, my reefing buddy. 🙂  

p.s 

Can I ask you how often you feed your fish?  I have (1) Yasha Goby, (1) Barnacle Blenny, (2) Striped Gobies,  (2) Red-head Gobies. So, that is 7 fish total in 12.5 gallons.  They are all super small and should stay pretty small.

I haven't been able to measure Ammonia or Nitrite since adding them but the water parameters were cycled when they entered one spread out by a week.

Just doing frozen brine, now and they love it, I will pinch part of the cube and place it in small coffee shot cup and feed them what they can finish from this pinch, they eat all of it nothing is wasted.  Then I feel bad and give them a tiny bit more, again nothing is wasted. 

I am trying hard to not feed each day, but I love them and think they are twisting my arm, can you help?

Am I overfeeding them?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

Hi Sadie,

Had I found your thread on the 16 gal with the chiller, I would have made a quicker decision to purchase it based on you having it my friend.  But I am glad I found your thread!  Coming back to the reefing world has been new challenges and remembering old ones and stepping over them.

IslandofTiki is back and has a live thread going in the pico section.  Sadie, did you see my other thread on the 30 gallon temperate system?  It is going to be an awesome journal of a cold water build here on nanoreefs. 

Wow, it just feels great talking to you again, my reefing buddy. 🙂  

p.s 

Can I ask you how often you feed your fish?  I have (1) Yasha Goby, (1) Barnacle Blenny, (2) Striped Gobies,  (2) Red-head Gobies. So, that is 7 fish total in 12.5 gallons.  They are all super small and should stay pretty small.

I haven't been able to measure Ammonia or Nitrite since adding them but the water parameters were cycled when they entered one spread out by a week.

Just doing frozen brine, now and they love it, I will pinch part of the cube and place it in small coffee shot cup and feed them what they can finish from this pinch, they eat all of it nothing is wasted.  Then I feel bad and give them a tiny bit more, again nothing is wasted. 

I am trying hard to not feed each day, but I love them and think they are twisting my arm, can you help?

Am I overfeeding them?

I have not seen the 30 gal thread yet.  I will look.

It seems like a lot of fish in that size tank (unless you plan on moving some into the 30 gal as they grow).  I have a clown, a PJ cardinal and a neon blue goby.  I feed just about every day, but sometimes I will skip a day so it's more like 6x a week.  I mix the frozen, flake and pellet.  I leave the pumps off for maybe 5 min and they (along with the cleaner shrimp) pretty much eat it all.  

I have to say they always seem hungry.  If I accidently knock off one of my tiny snails off the glass, my clown swims over and grabs it like he has NEVER been fed!  He drops it as soon as he finds out it's a snail, but still!  I always wonder if they are getting enough and tried to find a chart to show what fat fish or skinny fish look like, but had no luck.  

Not sure if that helps.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
32 minutes ago, sadie said:

I have not seen the 30 gal thread yet.  I will look.

It seems like a lot of fish in that size tank (unless you plan on moving some into the 30 gal as they grow).  I have a clown, a PJ cardinal and a neon blue goby.  I feed just about every day, but sometimes I will skip a day so it's more like 6x a week.  I mix the frozen, flake and pellet.  I leave the pumps off for maybe 5 min and they (along with the cleaner shrimp) pretty much eat it all.  

I have to say they always seem hungry.  If I accidently knock off one of my tiny snails off the glass, my clown swims over and grabs it like he has NEVER been fed!  He drops it as soon as he finds out it's a snail, but still!  I always wonder if they are getting enough and tried to find a chart to show what fat fish or skinny fish look like, but had no luck.  

Not sure if that helps.

Sadie,

Six does seem like a lot, but 4 are gobies the size of my finger nail.  The yasha and barnacle blenny are small also, I asked the LFS if that would work he said I am at my limit so let us see.  Now, my 30 gallon is a temperate system 55F degrees, if I place the gobies there, instant death....  

Here is the link to my 30 gallon build that I am doing:

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Gobies posed for pictures after having been fed brine shrimp, or should in say bribe shrimp?  Since they got lethargic and didn't move after the feeding! 😆

20210224_182733~3.jpg

20210224_182735_HDR~3.jpg

20210224_182729_HDR~3.jpg

20210224_182725~3.jpg

20210224_182721~3.jpg

20210224_182715~3.jpg

20210224_182713~3.jpg

20210224_182711~3.jpg

20210224_182704~3.jpg

20210224_182655~3.jpg

20210224_182632_HDR~3.jpg

20210224_182149~3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
38 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

20210224_182711~3.jpg    You looking at me!

I need to make shirts that have this photo and say, "You looking at me!"

You got the quote, I got the picture, who wants a shirt? 😁😊😀

• Like 2
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

For those nano reefers that want to see the Aqua Illumination Nero 3 in action!  Zero cords or magnets on the side of your 12.5 gallon AIO, makes for zero cluttered and full unobstructed view for the reefer that needs the clean look of zero cables or magnets. Enjoy....

• Like 3
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

2nd video of the Nero 3 in action on just 12.5 gallons using the false wall, you eliminate both sides to be clean free of any magnets, cables or pumps!  See for yourself when limited space means precious sides of your aquarium need to be fully unobstructed!  

• Like 2
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
38 minutes ago, Zer0 said:

The Nero is looking pretty good!

Do you do all the animations for your videos? They're pretty badass!

Hey Twin!

Odd that your screen name is Zero, and here I am talking about how the Nero 3 from AI, virtually creates Zero cables, Zero magnets and Zero pumps from either side walls of such a tiny AIO, remember an AIO that is already packed with corals and rocks looks much better if it has full view from the front and the sides.  I found a way to make the Nero 3 work from the front view, attached to the false wall.  My future tanks that have euro braces will have cable slots that will allow the Nero 3 to virtually hide the top of the cable even more.  This AIO was made before I knew about the Nero 3.

Yes, I actually do all my animations myself and my website doesn't borrow any photo or animation that wasn't mine, all photos and tanks are made by Micro-Reefs Aquariums.  I am a one man show, working my shop from my garage in my home.  I had a dream that started back in 2011 when I founded Micro-Reefs LLC in California and brought it here to Florida in 2019, to continue the nano community dream for small-midsized acrylic aquariums/filters/sumps.  

Thanks for noticing the small things I do, I really appreciate that Zero, I really do!  

• Like 3
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Coralife mini ultraviolet sterilizer low-voltage ballast 5 watts installed on Eheim 1000 you need to stay below 300 GPH ideally 100-200 GPH.  My temp in my system rose from 78.0 to 78.3 F and holding.

I plan on running the UV from 12am-6am where the Nero 3 is off so it gives the Chill Solutions chiller a break in the cycle of always being on.

20210227_183244_HDR.jpg

20210227_183256.jpg

20210227_195412.jpg

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

That Nero 3 pump looks really sleek with that mounting position, a nice benefit of an all-in-one tank! One of the coolest pumps yet.

I have always been curious about UV sterilizers, if having one from the get-go might help hobbyists avoid a lot of common issues. Seems like a wise addition to account for, and you've got a great place to stash it.

This is a really sharp looking system, lots of thoughtful details. Are You 

On 2/24/2021 at 4:58 PM, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

20210224_182704~3.jpg

Fun new additions! Are they eating well so far?

When does the first coral go in? 🙂 

• Like 3
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Look what Amazon dropped off for the 12.5 system.  Now my entire reef is Wi-Fi controlled.  One cable plugs into the outlet. You then  will see nothing but a reef tank, zero cables, all hidden inside the stand.

Getting all parameters dialed in before I open the pocket books to spend hard earned cash on beautiful but delicate SPS corals.

20210304_164625_HDR~2.jpg

20210304_164759_HDR~2.jpg

20210304_164824_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 4
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
2 hours ago, Reeferadicto13 said:

Curious, Is the magnet of the Nero inside the chambers ?

The Nero 3 is separated by the two magnets and so you have one magnet that normally would be on the dry side if I placed it on either left or right wall.  I don't like that look, not for me but I rather have the pump on the  back wall.  I had to wait for a company to produce the magnet on the out side, called dry side.  Vortech MP 10 does this but the motor is to be dry so that would not work for me on a false wall since it would be inundated with water.  Nero 3 the magnet which can be run dry or wet, is on the  back of the false wall, wet. Future aquariums that I make will have slots on the back wall for the unit to follow, making it even more concealed than what you see with mine.

2 hours ago, Reeferadicto13 said:

Is it waterproof?

From what I have read so far, reports are coming back that it has not leached back into the aquariums.  They are not stating that the magnet is safe 100%, it is undergoing users such as us, showing that it can or will fail eventually.  They are a big company and do back up their stuff, so I am assuming they choose a magnet that can run the course of making it without leaching.

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

KASA Wi-Fi power strip connected to control 6 units, everything is at my control via a simple app to use anywhere there is internet for my reef tank.

Look how clean your system is with one outlet, one cable and no wires anywhere!

For those reefers that like just an aquarium in front of them and zero cables .

20210305_190945~2.jpg

20210305_190921~2.jpg

20210305_190901~2.jpg

20210305_190857~2.jpg

20210305_190717~2.jpg

20210305_190705~2.jpg

20210305_190434~2.jpg

20210305_190354~2.jpg

Screenshot_20210305-192642~2.png

• Like 2
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Been out of the hobby for so many years and I come back to see how technology has now been embraced to check water parameters.  Hanna is crazy accurate and I feel confident in my readings for my SPS nano tank to be.

20210309_180108_HDR~2.jpg

20210309_180114_HDR~3.jpg

20210308_103822.jpg

• Like 2

Yo! That’s awesome haha. I got one of their a low range phosphate testers from a fellow reefer on the forums here. I also got a pack of 50 reagent things for like $20 on amazon. Pretty good deal. 

Let me know how you like their salinity checker, I’ve been looking at getting a digital one for ease of use. I don’t remember refractometers ever being so annoying, but here I am, annoyed at mine lol

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
22 hours ago, Zer0 said:

Yo! That’s awesome haha. I got one of their a low range phosphate testers from a fellow reefer on the forums here. I also got a pack of 50 reagent things for like $20 on amazon. Pretty good deal. 

Let me know how you like their salinity checker, I’ve been looking at getting a digital one for ease of use. I don’t remember refractometers ever being so annoying, but here I am, annoyed at mine lol

Salinity checker is spot on against my Coralife temp check and my chiller temp gauge.  Great investment and salinity is no more guessing lines.  Its all digital the way I like it.

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

My refugium light came in to commence reverse lighting to grow cheato, very powerful little light but small enough to fit against my side wallbof my AIO system.

20210310_173831_HDR~2.jpg

20210310_173835_HDR~2.jpg

20210310_172159~2.jpg

20210310_172155~2.jpg

20210310_163748~2.jpg

20210310_163625_HDR~2.jpg

20210310_163532_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 2