Innovative Marine Aquariums

Can superglue affect a coral's growth potential?

Jerad81

I bought this candy cane from my lfs a few days ago. I've always had great experiences with them in the past so I didn't scrutinize it very hard. That was a mistake I won't make again. The coral looked great so I bought it but after bringing it home I noticed that who ever glued it to the plug seemed to think they needed a whole bottle of superglue to do it.

20210127_160508.thumb.jpg.c691ea14a4290af7020f5901f8abad5e.jpg

The more I look at it I'm starting to wonder if it will affect the coral's ability to grow at the base? I'm a little afraid to remove it because I don't want to do any permanent damage to the coral by accident but will it hurt the coral more in the long run if I don't?

Also, I shifted it to a more stable position on the rock (which is why the polyps are a little shriveled up in the pic) and noticed a couple red spots on the stalk. They look like the outer layer is flaking off. Is this something I should be concerned about?

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Jerad81 said:

I bought this candy cane from my lfs a few days ago. I've always had great experiences with them in the past so I didn't scrutinize it very hard. That was a mistake I won't make again. The coral looked great so I bought it but after bringing it home I noticed that who ever glued it to the plug seemed to think they needed a whole bottle of superglue to do it.

20210127_160508.thumb.jpg.c691ea14a4290af7020f5901f8abad5e.jpg

The more I look at it I'm starting to wonder if it will affect the coral's ability to grow at the base? I'm a little afraid to remove it because I don't want to do any permanent damage to the coral by accident but will it hurt the coral more in the long run if I don't?

Also, I shifted it to a more stable position on the rock (which is why the polyps are a little shriveled up in the pic) and noticed a couple red spots on the stalk. They look like the outer layer is flaking off. Is this something I should be concerned about?

It won’t affect it....... they branch not encrust. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nah, that's fine. The skeleton that's no longer covered by flesh isn't used by the coral, aside from a bit of protection for some 'meat' inside. You could probably put a screw through it without any harm, as long as the screw didn't crack the whole skeleton open. 

Superglue is inert anyway. Encrusting corals will grow right over it just fine. Heck, you can glue soft corals to something with superglue, and it won't do them any harm. 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

It won’t affect it....... they branch not encrust. 

1 hour ago, Tired said:

Nah, that's fine. The skeleton that's no longer covered by flesh isn't used by the coral, aside from a bit of protection for some 'meat' inside. You could probably put a screw through it without any harm, as long as the screw didn't crack the whole skeleton open. 

Superglue is inert anyway. Encrusting corals will grow right over it just fine. Heck, you can glue soft corals to something with superglue, and it won't do them any harm. 

That makes me feel a lot better. I'm really looking forward to seeing this grow. I always thought they looked really cool when they started branching out and have several polyps. Thanks for letting me know!

• Like 1