Cultivated Reef

Not sure what this is?

Tay Kendall

We have this in a frag tank at my work. It appears to come  up once a year around this time. Any of you seen this before? I'll try to get a more detailed picture asap. 

20210126_115726.jpg

20210126_115701.jpg

Once, I had Red Grapes go sexual.  Spores of it grew back which for me was desirable as I grew macro algae wholesale.  The grapes are for buoyancy.

https://www.marineplantbook.com/marinebookbotryo.htm

BoBotryocladia is a beautiful specimen that does very well in the marine aquarium. It features stiff, lightly calcified branches with bright red air bladders. It resembles a cluster of grapes and is sometimes referred to as Red Grape Caulerpa, although it is not a species of Caulerpa at all. Depending on the species, it can grow in rather large clumps attached to rocks and coral fragments in depths of up to 30 feet or more. It is very hardy and seems to do well in aquariums with good water quality and low to medium lighting. There are several varieties available in the aquarium trade, but identification can be difficult as they all have the same basic characteristics.@tryocladia is a beautiful specimen that does very well in the marine aquarium. It features stiff, lightly calcified branches with bright red air bladders. It resembles a cluster of grapes and is sometimes referred to as Red Grape Caulerpa, although it is not a species of Caulerpa at all. Depending on the species, it can grow in rather large clumps attached to rocks and coral fragments in depths of up to 30 feet or more. It is very hardy and seems to do well in aquariums with good water quality and low to medium lighting. There are several varieties available in the aquarium trade, but identification can be difficult as they all have the same basic characteristics.

botryocluster.jpg

12 hours ago, Subsea said:

Once, I had Red Grapes go sexual.  Spores of it grew back which for me was desirable as I grew macro algae wholesale.  The grapes are for buoyancy.

https://www.marineplantbook.com/marinebookbotryo.htm

BoBotryocladia is a beautiful specimen that does very well in the marine aquarium. It features stiff, lightly calcified branches with bright red air bladders. It resembles a cluster of grapes and is sometimes referred to as Red Grape Caulerpa, although it is not a species of Caulerpa at all. Depending on the species, it can grow in rather large clumps attached to rocks and coral fragments in depths of up to 30 feet or more. It is very hardy and seems to do well in aquariums with good water quality and low to medium lighting. There are several varieties available in the aquarium trade, but identification can be difficult as they all have the same basic characteristics.@tryocladia is a beautiful specimen that does very well in the marine aquarium. It features stiff, lightly calcified branches with bright red air bladders. It resembles a cluster of grapes and is sometimes referred to as Red Grape Caulerpa, although it is not a species of Caulerpa at all. Depending on the species, it can grow in rather large clumps attached to rocks and coral fragments in depths of up to 30 feet or more. It is very hardy and seems to do well in aquariums with good water quality and low to medium lighting. There are several varieties available in the aquarium trade, but identification can be difficult as they all have the same basic characteristics.

botryocluster.jpg

Though, ive noticed every year it shows up, we never get the full grape caulerpa. I've looked up photos and it just doesn't seem like that's what it is. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Tay Kendall said:

Though, ive noticed every year it shows up, we never get the full grape caulerpa. I've looked up photos and it just doesn't seem like that's what it is. 

It's not grape Caulerpa Subsea's talking about, it's Botryocladia. Whole different genus. But I don't think it looks like Botryocladia- can you get a picture in white light? 

Whatever it is, it's pretty cool!

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Tay Kendall said:

https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

Red Bubble Algae, Botryocladia

redbubblealgae 300x225

Red Bubble Algae is one of the Botryocladia species, (probably skottsbergeii or pyriformis) . Some of the Botryocladia species, like Botryocladia occidentalis, are desirable. The main difference between an invasive species of Botryocladia and a desirable one is how it grows. Desirable species grow up from branches, and invasive species creep along the rock just leaving hard to remove bubbles. Some are in between both in risk and branch development. 

On 1/28/2021 at 1:46 AM, Ratvan said:

What is the texture like? Is it soft/hard?

Can you see any openings on it at all?

edit: i'm thinking an encrusting Turnicate

So when I touch it, it's squishy but then when I stop it returns back to the same exact shape as before. I'll look up what you've recommended! I'll post pictures when I get back to work next week. 

22 hours ago, Mr. Awesome said:

It's not grape Caulerpa Subsea's talking about, it's Botryocladia. Whole different genus. But I don't think it looks like Botryocladia- can you get a picture in white light? 

Whatever it is, it's pretty cool!

I'll take some more pictures when I get back to work next week!  It is pretty cool looking though, it's very vibrant!

4 hours ago, Tay Kendall said:

So when I touch it, it's squishy but then when I stop it returns back to the same exact shape as before. I'll look up what you've recommended! I'll post pictures when I get back to work next week. 

I'll take some more pictures when I get back to work next week!  It is pretty cool looking though, it's very vibrant!

20210129_124837.jpg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Mr. Awesome said:

It resembles Nemastoma, with the shape and the flourescent tips. That's my best guess, I'm not certain.

I agree, this appears to be a nemastoma algae, you should consider yourself lucky! It is beautiful!

I would pay more for a chunk of that algae than i would for most corals. Like, if you dont want it, I will paypal you $100 for a 3x3 section of that egg crate tomorrow, seriously. 

Please try to let it grow out, just dont see it enough in the hobby.

• Thanks 2

https://www.marineplantbook.com/marinebooknemastoma.htm

You do indeed have something more valuable than coral frags.

beautiful red algae that features gelatinous, slippery branches attached by a single holdfast. Similar to Halymenia Elongata in appearance, but is much more compact, with short, irregular hand-shaped fronds and a deep red coloration. Its branches are filled with fluid, much like Botryocladia, to keep it buoyant. This particular algae is highly variable depending on the individual species and often features bright orange or white tips. Like many red macro algae, it is rarely seen in the aquarium industry and is typically introduced through the importation of collected live rock. Once established, it is very hardy and will grow well in a variety of aquarium conditions, even low light environments. Most species favor good water quality and moderate water current. It is palatable to most fish and invertebrates. 

(beautiful red algae that features gelatinous, slippery branches attached by a single holdfast. Similar to Halymenia Elongata in appearance, but is much more compact, with short, irregular hand-shaped fronds and a deep red coloration. Its branches are filled with fluid, much like Botryocladia, to keep it buoyant. This particular algae is highly variable depending on the individual species and often features bright orange or white tips. Like many red macro algae, it is rarely seen in the aquarium industry and is typically introduced through the importation of collected live rock. Once established, it is very hardy and will grow well in a variety of aquarium conditions, even low light environments. Most species favor good water quality and moderate water current. It is palatable to most fish and invertebrates. 

H

• Like 1
On 1/30/2021 at 6:28 AM, Mr. Awesome said:

It resembles Nemastoma, with the shape and the flourescent tips. That's my best guess, I'm not certain.

Nemastoma - Macro Algae - Nano-Reef Community

Omg yup!! Pretty sure this is it! Thanks dude!

On 1/30/2021 at 1:57 PM, Kylebeano said:

I agree, this appears to be a nemastoma algae, you should consider yourself lucky! It is beautiful!

I would pay more for a chunk of that algae than i would for most corals. Like, if you dont want it, I will paypal you $100 for a 3x3 section of that egg crate tomorrow, seriously. 

Please try to let it grow out, just dont see it enough in the hobby.

I can definitely talk to my boss about sending you some. We wouldn't be able to give you you eggcrate because we're using it for a frag shelf. We could pluck some off though. I've read you can glue it. But message me your info and I'll get back to you!

On 2/2/2021 at 7:02 PM, Tay Kendall said:

I can definitely talk to my boss about sending you some. We wouldn't be able to give you you eggcrate because we're using it for a frag shelf. We could pluck some off though. I've read you can glue it. But message me your info and I'll get back to you!

Thats kind, but I have tried this algae many years ago as small loose pieces, and they all melted away. I would suggest keeping it on the egg crate and letting it grow

• Thanks 1