Pod Your Reef

25 Gallon Reef Stocking Ideas

NanoReefer2025

NanoReefer2025

Hello fellow aquarists! I am Karissa and I set up a Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25 Gallon AIO aquarium last fall. It cycled for about a month, and I started adding livestock a few weeks ago. Right now, it has a hermit crab, a pair of clowns, and some soft corals. Do any of you guys have any ideas as far as future stocking goes? I like colorful fish that really fit in with the coral reef look that I’m going for. I have done a bit of research myself and here are some of my favorites:

Dottybacks (orchid, neon, diadema, magenta), Gobies (yellow watchman, sandsifter, Wheeler’s, Yasha, firefish/ dartfish), Blennies (tailspot, Midas, bicolor), Sapphire damselfish, wrasse (six lined, possum), geometric hawkfish, and royal gramma

As far as inverts go, I will definitely be adding more corals, a CUC, a rock flower nem (maybe), and a cleaner shrimp (maybe)

I would love to hear your suggestions and advice on stocking. I want to eventually have four fish in total including the clowns, as long as it is reasonable. Keep in mind that my aquarium does not have a lid.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, NanoReefer2025 said:

Hello fellow aquarists! I am Karissa and I set up a Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25 Gallon AIO aquarium last fall. It cycled for about a month, and I started adding livestock a few weeks ago. Right now, it has a hermit crab, a pair of clowns, and some soft corals. Do any of you guys have any ideas as far as future stocking goes? I like colorful fish that really fit in with the coral reef look that I’m going for. I have done a bit of research myself and here are some of my favorites:

Dottybacks (orchid, neon, diadema, magenta), Gobies (yellow watchman, sandsifter, Wheeler’s, Yasha, firefish/ dartfish), Blennies (tailspot, Midas, bicolor), Sapphire damselfish, wrasse (six lined, possum), geometric hawkfish, and royal gramma

As far as inverts go, I will definitely be adding more corals, a CUC, a rock flower nem (maybe), and a cleaner shrimp (maybe)

I would love to hear your suggestions and advice on stocking. I want to eventually have four fish in total including the clowns, as long as it is reasonable. Keep in mind that my aquarium does not have a lid.

Before you get another new fish, you might want to invest in a lid. *All fish jump, including clowns. 

As for your list, all those choices are good, but dottybacks have a rep. for being very aggressive, so I'll skip that. The gobies you listed are okay, but a sandsifter will deplete the microfauna in your sandbed and starve, unless it accepts prepared food. Blennies are adorable and add a lot of personality to the tank, but the Midas *can be a jerk. 

Sapphire damselfish are more peaceful than blue devils, but look similar - so if you are choosing this fish, make sure it *is a Sapphire. Possum wrasse are shy & peaceful. Sixlines are beautiful but can be territorial & aggressive towards smaller fish or future additions once established. 

The geometric hawk (pygmy perchlet) is very peaceful, but *might snack on smaller, ornamental shrimp. It's actually more closely related to anthias, I believe, rather than hawkfish. 🤔

Royal grammas are attractive and usually needs a cave. 

What you choose depends on whether you wish to do a tank of semi-aggressive fish, or peaceful fish. 

If it's peaceful, you can do a small shrimp goby like a Hi-Fin or Yasha, a TSB (tailspot blenny) and possum wrasse. 

If you want to go the semi-aggressive route, then you can pick a sixline or royal gramma, and a bottom-dweller (like a Yellow Watchman or the equivalent), and a slightly larger percher species like a Bicolor Blenny. 

When stocking, always add the least aggressive fish first and the most aggressive species last. Also, try to get fish that occupy different levels of the tank so that they may establish their own territories. Too many upper column swimmers will be an issue, just like too many bottom-dwellers will be an issue too. 

You might want to start a journal thread for your tank too. Would love to see its progress. 😊👍

• Like 1

I recommend gobies as they can be very fun to watch. Basically all dottybacks can become quite aggressive at points so they should be housed with adequate fish. A good idea could be a goby and shrimp pair, and then maybe some peaceful top dwellers.

Midas bennies can become quite large sometimes, I have found them at over 5 inches, so I do not recommend those for a 25g

Tailspots are good though, so i think one of those, a goby and maybe a small wrasse (sixline, possum) would work)🐟😀

NanoReefer2025

Thank you for the suggestions! I’ll try to invest in a lid as soon as possible to prevent jumpers from leaping to their deaths. I do have a couple questions. Are these fish ones that I can add in addition to the clowns I already have in there? A total of five fish seems like a bit much for a 25. Also, I would like to know what kinds of fish might be compatible with a dottyback. I think I am leaning towards the semi aggressive route and may consider a royal gramma or six lined wrasse and a sand dweller of some sort. Again, thanks for the input. 

another suggestion (completely different) could be that you cold have a golden dwarf eel as a juvenile, and then you could upgrade it later. I am sure it would do well as a juvenile in a 25 as only gets 10 inches long. Shouldn't bother other fish unless really small so could work with wrasse/clownfish

NanoReefer2025

Ok, I may consider a dottyback, but I also don’t want a lot of trouble with aggression. I will post my final decision once I figure out what that may be. Could I have 4 fish in a 25, or should I just do 3? Sorry, I’ve got a ton of questions, it’s just that I’m new and curious to know the thoughts of fellow reefers. I’ll do a bit more research and look through the forums some, as well. 🙂

I would say only if they are of a relatively small size 1/2 inch of fish per gallon but that sounds (4) about right as long as they are not more than 5 inch i would say 

Have you though about chalk bass (they school and 3 would do great in a 25) they are cool

11 minutes ago, chillifish said:

I would say only if they are of a relatively small size 1/2 inch of fish per gallon but that sounds (4) about right as long as they are not more than 5 inch i would say 

Have you though about chalk bass (they school and 3 would do great in a 25) they are cool

The inch of fish per gallon rule doesn't exactly translate to SW - a lot of other factors need to be brought into consideration when picking out a fish for a tank - bioload (key), temperment, territory etc. 

14 minutes ago, NanoReefer2025 said:

Ok, I may consider a dottyback, but I also don’t want a lot of trouble with aggression. I will post my final decision once I figure out what that may be. Could I have 4 fish in a 25, or should I just do 3? Sorry, I’ve got a ton of questions, it’s just that I’m new and curious to know the thoughts of fellow reefers. I’ll do a bit more research and look through the forums some, as well. 🙂

4 fish should be fine. 

• Thanks 1
NanoReefer2025

Thank you. I’ve seen pictures of chalk bass, but they’ve never really caught my eye. A school of them might be too much in addition to the clownfish that are already in there.

NanoReefer2025

Hello everyone. I had a bit of an outlandish thought. Would something like a golden dwarf moray eel work in a set up this small in the far future? Of course, if I were to do something like this, I would certainly put a lid on the tank and would definitely improve my filtration, perhaps even adding a skimmer or refugium or something. I just wanted to know if it was possible.

I believe they should live in a 30 - but i think if there is enough rockwork and a good filter it could work - for the future. They will, however, eat inverts and possibly small fish that could fit in their mouths. No many fish are this small, though. They are reef safe also, so a good choice.