Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Rougheye's Evo 13

rough eye

• 5 weeks later...

Oct 4. I reduced water changes to every other week. Nitrates still about 5ppm or less. Was 1.5 gallon water changes now doig 1 gallon. I see a little algae here and there but nothing of much consequence. Added 3 zoa polyps and a candy cane. the hermit crab must have knocked one loose; he had pulled up that frag plug and was working on a second one. So later I did see that polyp wedged between a rock and another plug but haven't seen it again. it will either show up at some point or be gone forever. Acan died pretty quick but the candy cane seems to be doing fine. I'm still considering adding a 3rd fish but have no idea what. I guess with the purple stylo a clown goby is out of the question. That might have been a choice, but maybe a sand sifting goby is what I'll choose.

oct4 end.jpg

oct4 southside.jpg

oct4 northside.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...

so i'm a little sad. i was excited to see a baby nassarius who had been coming out at feeding time and was only a few millimeters long. a few days ago my tail spot swooped down, grabbed the snail and dropped it like a gull trying to crack open a clam. came back a minute later and did it again. haven't seen the little guy since then. i hope he's just hiding under the sand and didn't get done in by the blenny.

did a 1 gallon water change a week ago and the little bam bam polyp stayed closed up for the most part of the week. i'm thinking even less water changes might be in order. and need a 3rd fish. also took out the floss today so going to try going flossless for a bit.

• Like 1

ok so what's bright pink under blue lights and might be encrusted on a snail shell? there are 3 circular spots about a cm across each and are way too bright to be coralline, but seem flat. could it be an encrusting coral? one spot looks like it cracked down the center.  and by bright i mean it's the pinkest hot pink thing i ever saw.

• Like 1

not easy (meaning seems impossible) to get a good picture with blue lights only, which is when the iridescence of the spots in question is apparent.

244966178_615435609467940_6611524498932045890_n.jpg

• Like 1

Do you have a clip on lens for taking pics under blues? That could help with showing what’s going on because it should filter out the excess blue but still show what’s glowing more true to what you see. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The actinic blue light strip went in the water (i hate that they have a second connector for connecting another strip and i need to cut that off and pot the leads somehow) and this caused the timer to reset. I've had that light disconnected for now and need to do some troubleshooting to see if it was the light itself, or if it caused something to short out in that channel of the timer it was connected to.

Had a crab battle (or so i believe). The emerald crab was always camping at the base of the stylo coral and one morning i saw an empty shell in the spot where the emerald usually is - the shell the hermit used to occupy, but was now empty. For a couple weeks i so neither crab and thought maybe they had both died in battle. I bought another emerald last week, then a couple days later I put in a little piece of nori for my tailspin blenny to munch on and the first emerald came out of hiding to get some. Bubble algae had been building up. I guess that emerald got spoiled by occasional nori feedings. The new emerald seems to have taken care of a lot of te bubble algae. 

Anyway, I'm at the one year mark and hope to put some pictures up in the next couple days.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, rough eye said:

The actinic blue light strip went in the water (i hate that they have a second connector for connecting another strip and i need to cut that off and pot the leads somehow) and this caused the timer to reset. I've had that light disconnected for now and need to do some troubleshooting to see if it was the light itself, or if it caused something to short out in that channel of the timer it was connected to.

Had a crab battle (or so i believe). The emerald crab was always camping at the base of the stylo coral and one morning i saw an empty shell in the spot where the emerald usually is - the shell the hermit used to occupy, but was now empty. For a couple weeks i so neither crab and thought maybe they had both died in battle. I bought another emerald last week, then a couple days later I put in a little piece of nori for my tailspin blenny to munch on and the first emerald came out of hiding to get some. Bubble algae had been building up. I guess that emerald got spoiled by occasional nori feedings. The new emerald seems to have taken care of a lot of te bubble algae. 

Anyway, I'm at the one year mark and hope to put some pictures up in the next couple days.

Congrats on hitting one year! Looking forward to some pics!!

• Like 1