Top Shelf Aquatics

Tank reset - Another “help me aquascape” thread

tzink

Tank crashed when I moved everything to a new setup with a sump. Opportunity to start over. I never liked how random and piecemeal the old scape was anyway. Trying to be intentional with this one. 

Front and top pics of the rock scape below. Suggestions on what regions should go for what? I’m looking for mostly LPS and softies, maybe a few acros on the highest parts and the overhang. 

opinions appreciated!

13A0D727-B932-47D3-8448-26A4C273A4E6.jpeg

D2F968AB-EFBD-41AC-AB2C-461D7437F815.jpeg

208617A3-A196-48B3-82C8-0DFF0F511190.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks pretty good. I would check if you have anything you can use to bridge the gap between the overhang and the little rock in the center, I bet it would look nice as an arch. You should also make sure you have plenty of good caves for your fish to hide in, especially that firefish. They really need the security of a good place to hide.

4 hours ago, Tired said:

Looks pretty good. I would check if you have anything you can use to bridge the gap between the overhang and the little rock in the center, I bet it would look nice as an arch. You should also make sure you have plenty of good caves for your fish to hide in, especially that firefish. They really need the security of a good place to hide.

Thanks! Yeah, both of the large rocks in the corners have caves underneath them. I may add sand eventually, but I'm trying first for the cleanliness of BB.

Arch is an interesting idea... Will ponder it.

How would you stock this scape?

Guess where corals would like to be, move them if they didn't like it. What you can put on there depends mostly on your lights. Remember that many LPS are aggressive stingers to their neighbors and should be given plenty of room. 

If you didn't do an arch, that little rock in the middle could be a good place to contain something invasive but pretty, like GSP or one of the fast-growing zoas. 

You might consider trying an encrusting montipora or similar on the back wall. If your rocks aren't touching the back, the monti can't grow onto them, and will be contained on the back. Encrusting montis are pretty hardy as SPS go, and not as demanding about light. Lepastreas and cyphastreas are another couple options. Heck, you could pick one of each and let them fight it out for space. They don't sting competition, just try to grow over it, so you'd get some neat wrinkly shapes where they met. 

I like that idea for the back wall. Just glue them on as if you're gluing onto rock?

I have 2x Fluval Marine 3.0 lights. I've only tested lux, not PAR, but based on that it should be enough firepower to handle SPS

Yep, just chop the stem off the plug and superglue it on. Corals will happily grow up the back wall as long as they have enough light, especially encrusting ones. If I were you, I might consider glueing them behind the rocks, so you won't see the bulge of the plug once the coral spreads. Or I suppose you could wait for it to spread onto the wall, cut around the plug with a dremel, and remove it entirely. 

Reading about this, it seems like the major downside is moving the tank eventually. I don’t foresee moving in the next five years or so, but if I did, I guess I’d just have to start with a new tank as the back wall would die in the move and there’d be no way to remove it. 

probably stupid things to worry about at midnight. 

I'm not so sure it would die. Stony corals are pretty tolerant of being out of water for awhile, for hours really, without problems. If you covered it in wet paper towels, you might get it to last longer. Or you could set the tank on its side in a container with an inch of water, to keep the back submerged. Or, worst-case scenario, scrape it off the back. Encrusting montis aren't that durable, a good scraping tool would take it all off. Probably with some large chunks you could glue back on alive. 

My feedback is to shift the white rock to the right, just a few inches. Then move the small island right so that it;s basically touching the other rock.  

IMO it's too symmetrical.  There's the two larger rocks at the ends, roughly equidistant.  Then the small rock is pretty much dead center. I think shifting the two rocks on the left side of the tank right some will help break up the symmetry some.

Also I agree an encrusting monti would be cool!  I've thought about doing that before - just never have found the right frag to start with.

• Like 1

Haha yeah my last scape ended up too symmetrical too. I think I just subconsciously really like symmetry 😄

Will play around with moving things.

As far as placement of corals, any ideas? I like the idea of a zoa/paly garden on the middle rock. Probably acros on the overhang. Some euphyllia on the back ridge for good movement... Not sure what else though.

• 3 weeks later...

The little rock being in the front and dead-center is what's throwing the look off.  Remove it or pick ANY new place for it (even just in the back, not in the front) and it should look "better".

• 1 month later...

In case anyone cares, this is how the scape is shaping up. I did end up moving the middle rock to the left, and also extended the overhang so it is almost but not quite a bridge to the middle rock. The middle is the zoa garden. 

9A42D334-0B3E-4F5F-BABA-EA00224A58C3.jpeg

36CBD184-591B-4D77-8D45-1C945B0FD79B.jpeg

A2D2C26E-78E0-4B6E-B864-DF654CFC4F39.jpeg

• Like 3

Looks good! I hope you want bunches of ricordea all over your rockwork, because if they decide they like it in there, they're gonna multiply. 

53 minutes ago, Tired said:

Looks good! I hope you want bunches of ricordea all over your rockwork, because if they decide they like it in there, they're gonna multiply. 

Fine by me!

i have a few spots on the tops reserved for really interesting pieces that I may find, but otherwise it’sa free for all.