Cultivated Reef

Can you fit this in a back compartment?

SantaMonica

This is somebody's diy waterfall, with a 660nm red light suction cupped on the side of it, and the sump water level is at the bottom of the scrubber window. You can see the media bag below that, so that must be under the water line, so the screen must be above it.

The light is inside the sump wall though, probably touching it; it could however go outside the sump wall since the scrubber box is so near to the sump wall.

It does not look like there is a light on the other side, and this is the most important thing to try to do to keep the roots attached to the screen the longest time.

Interesting design - I can sort of tell using the airline as a reference where the waterline is.

Like you say though it's hard to tell if there's a light on the other side since some light is going to be reflected off the acrylic.  I do see what appears to be 2 cords on the bottom, one of which appears to be on the other side?   That could be for something else though.

As for the fit - I think it depends on the size of the sump.  It could certainly fit in a larger one, but probably not a small sump.  It's been a while since I've looked at scrubbers but I thought the waterfall style can work really well, but that it's best suited for larger systems. 

The matrix seems to be decently sized to the light output, but it's hard to tell in the pic.    The first thing that comes to mind for me is the cleaning.  Because there's acrylic this design would need the ability to easily remove at least a portion of the unit to clean the acrylic every so often.  

The cord is just one, with a reflection. But it goes to something else. But yes it would be hard to remove the whole unit for cleaning.