Top Shelf Aquatics

Modifying Xaqua INOUT with new loc-line nozzle and ball valve

Drunkentrader

Drunkentrader

I have a 12g Aquamax long running a single drain Xaqua INOUT bulkhead.

it is installed on the side of the tank, meaning the nozzle points lengthwise(36”) of the tank. 

Running into a couple issues. 

1.) one single nozzle running full blast naturally doesn’t distribute flow optimally in. 3ft long 12g. I’ve tried adding a small nano power head, but i don’t want the clutter and would prefer to modify the outflow to provide varying flow. 

2.) mostly feed my fish flake foods daily, but once or twice a week I feed reef foods to the corals and mysis to the fishes — to which I turn off the pump — and when done feeding I turn the pump back on and the water pressure blasting around the tank disturbs the entire tank and splashes a bit if I don’t cover it. 

So - those are the two issues I am trying to resolve. And I want to get feedback on anyone that maybe has this same bulkhead and installed a ball valve on the return(so I can turn off the pump and keep water level the same during feeding.) And as far as the loc-line goes, I need a Y-pipe as I have the return nozzle verrry close the the back glass and there is no clearance. I also think the Xaqua INOUT came with an extra nozzle, so maybe I can keep the nozzle design, but split from one loc-line out to two. 

I also realize that putting a valve in a tank that only has one drain is a risk.. but I’d like to take my chances, however I’d like to mitigate a little risk by buying a larger diameter valve(meaning it will be a little less of a bottle neck for flow, while also being more difficult to clog.)  Maybe I’m missing something here regarding risks, but I can’t think of any reason why a manually controlled “stop” valve is all of a sudden going to greatly increase the risks of overflow, assuming it’s installed properly. 

Any thoughts?

92BA0AE7-B5A8-46A1-AE5F-F133C358BF79.jpeg

65AACEBC-419E-4389-BD43-0C778906CBBD.jpeg

• 6 months later...
Steve111333

I’m also trying to figure out how to use lock line.

ive tried lots none fit but to be hounest the nozzle that comes with it always pops apart and fits badly the instructions and info online says can be modified to use loc line but not sure how.

you will need an adjustable pump and dial it back for feeding although the level will drop or just get a gate valve and stop it when the level increases turn off the pump. You will prob need a one one valve on your intake.

• Thanks 1