Coral Vue Hydros

Do I need to remove dead green turf algae

Partially Submerged

Partially Submerged

I have a green turf algae outbreak in my Fusion 10. It's on two rocks, and only where the light hits the rock, so I suspect lighting is part of the issue. Last weekend, I took one of the rocks out, sprayed it with H2O2, rinsed it, and put it back in. The algae went white within 48 hours - very dead. The problem, of course, is that now instead of unsightly green algae, I have unsightly white algae. For some reason I had expected my CUC to go bonkers over the dead algae, but thus far that's not been the case. So here's my question: Will the dead algae dissolve (or get eaten eventually) or do I still need to scrub it off? Thanks in advance!

Partially Submerged
1 hour ago, rough eye said:

if it's dead can you just suck it off with a turkey baster?

No, it seems as firmly attached to the rock as when it was alive. A steel brush would probably work, but that would likely damage the rock somewhat. 

On 1/23/2021 at 8:00 PM, Partially Submerged said:

I have a green turf algae outbreak in my Fusion 10.

How old is the tank?

Can you post your test results for everything you test for?  (incl. temp, s.g., alk, ca, mg, no3 and po4)

It's on two rocks, and only where the light hits the rock, so I suspect lighting is part of the issue.

Correct, but algae needs three things to grow.....light, nutrients and space.  You have to look at all three.

Last weekend, I took one of the rocks out, sprayed it with H2O2, rinsed it, and put it back in.

Now there will be a lot of new free space for more algae to settle and grow.   Don't do this again.

For some reason I had expected my CUC to go bonkers over the dead algae, but thus far that's not been the case.

You forgot (or didn't know) that you're member #1 of your cleanup crew.

Here's what you should have done before you reached for the disinfectant (don't worry it's not too late.....it's just that one rock you scrubbed that you set back a little):

Pay attention to his algae removal technique....and his advice on snails.   The rest of the info (eg phosphate removal) isn't relevant to your tank.

Partially Submerged
16 hours ago, mcarroll said:

How old is the tank?

[...]

Pay attention to his algae removal technique....and his advice on snails.   The rest of the info (eg phosphate removal) isn't relevant to your tank.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. The tank has been in its current configuration for about a year, I think. I should mention that this thread isn't about underlying problems. There isn't anything terribly wrong with the tank, and the parameters are within spec. The light was the one thing I wasn't paying close attention to, and this algae has been growing very slowly over the past 6 months or so. Had I kept up with it, I wouldn't have a problem now - just been very busy. 

That's a good video. Unfortunately, the algae I am dealing with isn't hair algae. It's the tough, stringy, incredibly hard to pull out turf algae type. I'll just give it a few weeks to see if it eventually gets eaten or dissolves. @Tired is probably right - if it's dead and organic, someone will eventually eat it. That's especially true because I don't feed the tank at all, so the inhabitants (only a few snails plus sea stars, amphipods, etc.) aren't exactly spoiled.

You forgot (or didn't know) that you're member #1 of your cleanup crew.

Ha, that's a good reminder! 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Partially Submerged said:

Unfortunately, the algae I am dealing with isn't hair algae. It's the tough, stringy, incredibly hard to pull out turf algae type.

Most algae you'll find can be controlled in the same manner.

Yours is likely the same stuff anyway, just growing densely.  You just need to grab smaller amounts of algae in each pinch so that it's not enough to lift up the rock it's on....down to one strand at a time if need be.  Use actual tweezers if it helps.  Work in a small area about 1x1" until it's clear, otherwise it can feel like you're not making any progress.

Something else to condsider – if it's still holding on that tight it may not actually be dead to the roots like you're thinking.

In any event I'd personally get after it with the tweezers/fingers ASAP.  Make it gone.

14 hours ago, Partially Submerged said:

That's especially true because I don't feed the tank at all, so the inhabitants (only a few snails plus sea stars, amphipods, etc.) aren't exactly spoiled.

It's too big for micro-herbivores in it's current state, even dead.  

Unless you have something able to scavenge material that size (medium or large hermits, for example), it could take a LONG time for it to break down.  

And bacteria will have liberated most/all of the primary nutrients from it by now anyway, so it's probably not very tasty/nutritious/attractive to other critters anymore either.  

The carbon structure of the algae will host bacteria that will slowly liberate the carbon atoms from the algae structure as they get access to nitrates and phosphates to go with it, but that's a slow road.  (And a poor use of nutrients....you're trying to grow a reef, not a compost bin! 😉)