Top Shelf Aquatics

Dr. FM Nuvo 14

timothymarsh

Welcome! 
I’m a family medicine resident physician in St. Petersburg, FL and I’ve been in the reef tank hobby since elementary school. I’ve had 5, 10, 20 long and high, as well as 30 gallon standard AGA tanks in the past. This IM Nuvo 14 is my first AIO setup and the livestock is transferred over from my last 10 gallon AGA build. I’ve been off of the nano reef community for a few years due to medical school, but I hope to document this build and connect with fellow reefers again. Let’s talk stats: 

Tank: IM Nuvo 14 gallon 

Pump: Stock Mighty Jet

Light: Kessil A80 on a gooseneck with Spectral Controller

Heater: Cheap no brand heater, plans to upgrade at some point

Filtration: Filter floss, activated carbon, ceramic bio balls, stock IM media basket

Glass cleaner: IM magnet cleaner

Hood: Stock IM top 

Fish:

-Clownfish #1 “Marshmallow”

-Clownfish #2 “Graham Cracker”

-Sixline wrasse “Skewer”

Coral:

Zoas

Blasto

Xenia’s

GSP

Frogspawn

War coral

Green toadstool

Kenya tree 

Inverts:

Hermits

Turbo snails

Blood red fire shrimp “Campfire” 

Emerald crab

Rockwork:

West Mariculture cave rock

Future plans: Add to Zoa diversity on the top of rock, side frag holes to be filled with mixed LPS, bottom of tank to have GSP carpet and ricordea garden. Back wall- one or two floating frag mount with high end Zoas. Planning to add some type of goby/blenny in the next few months. 

Thanks for stopping by! 

505DA239-5B99-46CD-90AE-407E806F4E3A.jpeg

C8DF776C-9035-4AF5-A5B7-E9BFB1A7C54A.jpeg

83C73D4A-E8A4-4F03-9CE7-948649AD6CF0.jpeg

8BA9E601-8684-492C-B639-E67FA3117CF6.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice tank. I have the same tank. 

Few questions:

Why did you choose the media basket over the filter sock? I'm leaning towards the filter sock with a bag of chemipure blue nano in it.

What do you have in the 2nd chamber?

Thanks

Thanks! I saw some reviews that said the filter sock got clogged easily, and I like the ability to mix in filter floss up top with chemical filtration below. Right now I have bio balls in the second chamber but I plan to swap those out for cheato with a small led light over that chamber. 

Quick photo update. Stopped by the LFS earlier today but didn’t see anything that caught my eye. On the hunt for some Zoas to go on top of the rock work. 

346A3E08-97D1-4788-AEC4-41EB6AEC4E9A.jpeg

16050DDD-ED35-4AAB-822B-EDABB7B9D92A.jpeg

720CB210-9555-4F03-87F6-FD3B245CDA0C.jpeg

• Like 1

Livestock updates: 

Sixline wrasse “Skewer” has joined the family and a Kenya tree was added to the far end of the rock. Please excuse the low quality iPhone pictures, I need to bust out the DSLR soon. 

701A65E9-CCFE-441D-841C-76F3E5998F90.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
timothymarsh

@Christopher Marks thanks for helping out! 

‘Skewer’ the sixline wrasse is doing awesome and has fully settled in. He’s got a snappy personality but it definitely adds to the tank! 

Considering adding a Clown goby as the final fish, still on the fence on that one though 

• Like 1
timothymarsh

I’m planning on adding cheato to the middle of the back compartment. Wanted to see if anyone had recs on a fuge light for these small IM tanks?