inTank Media Baskets

Fluval 13.5 Megamod build

Dave J

Petco finally started carrying Fluval Evo 13.5s again and, since they were on sale plus 25% BOPUS just before Christmas, I decided to treat myself to one.  Cost me $101 plus tax - not bad!

Then I got to modding and upgrading it:

- Removed the plastic base,

- Removed the honeycomb around the top,

- Removed the little half wall at the bottom of the filter section between chambers two and three,

- Added a DIY egg crate media basket for chamber one (will probably buy an Intank basket at some point)

- Upgraded return pump to a MightyJet 326 DC pump,

- Replaced light and lid with AI Prime HD,

- Replaced return nozzle with a couple pieces of 1/2" locline and a random flow nozzle from VCA

- Added XP Aqua Duetto ATO using a 3 gallon clear jug for the reservoir

- Aqueon 100 watt heater on an Inkbird controller

I'm just running filter floss pad and Polyfilter pad in the media basket, and a large bag of seeded Seachem Matrix in chamber two plus about 15 pounds of rock in the tank.

I'm pretty happy with how it came out and having a controllable DC pump is such a luxury!!  With up to 326 gph and the VCA RFG nozzle I should have more than enough flow for this tank.  

I'm still debating what to do about a lid - maybe I'll try an IM screen kit or, if I decide to only do softies and easy LPS, maybe I'll go back to the stock lid and get a Fluval 3.0 15" LED which should fit in the slot and give me more controllability over the stock LED.

IMG_4014.jpg

IMG_4017.jpg

IMG_4044.jpg

IMG_4097.jpg

21 minutes ago, rough eye said:

is the stock pump strong enough for a random flow nozzle?

The stock pump is right at the low end of the minimum recommended flow.  I’m running about 170 gph and it creates a nice random flow.  The stock pump is like 130 gph.  

• Like 1