Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sumps

Cjinhh

Very new to salt water, just started my first tank around thanksgiving of 2020, 75 gallon, ocean revive lights, fluval fx4. Fish only and some snails hermits and an emerald, wanting to take out the fx4 and change over to a sump, only thing tho, is that I hear so many different opinions on what size to get, any help would be greatly appreciated. Also not quite sure where I’m going to go with the tank in the future, haven’t decided if I want to get any corals, but eventually once the tank has been running for awhile longer possibly one or two bubble tip anemones. Also on the sumps I hear people describe the size differently, some say 30” some say 30 gallons, eventually will get a skimmer but since I’m not quite sure where I really want to go with the tank yet, since I’m new and still learning as much as I can, I will decide on the skimmer later

Speaking from a general perspective, I think the space you have available could likely be the most important deciding factor in which sump you buy.  If space isn't an issue (and neither is money) there are some sumps out there currently that include roller mats which get rid of the need to change out filter socks... definitely a nice option to consider.  Probably the best way to get started is to browse through what manufacturers have available online, and check out the prices, features, sizes.  I know there are also kits available that allow you to convert a regular glass tank to a sump buy installing baffles yourself.

Hope this helps