Innovative Marine Aquariums

Overnight Spot on a BlackCap

A.m.P

I've seen cuts and bruises, banged-up and missing scales, but something about this in particular makes me a bit uneasy. It looks like some kind of abscess, possibly infected, and is reminiscent enough of uronema to make me want to get some advise and double-check.

It's almost impossible to see when looking from any angle that's not overhead so it's possible, but kind of unlikely, that it has been there more than 24 hours, but almost impossible that I would have missed it for more than a day.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

IMG_20210120_134827_22.thumb.jpg.f4e9ff47c89448633540a4674904ba1a.jpg

7 minutes ago, Humblefish said:

It looks like physical damage (or possibly a coral sting), which might be getting infected.

I personally would just lace the fish food with vitamins and observe for now: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/404968-vitamins-herbal-remedies/

Thank you, I'll update if things take a turn south and I end up medicating, it means allot to have folks like you around to help out.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2021 at 2:09 PM, A.m.P said:

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

I agree...just looks like a bump or bruise.  

First time parents!!  (I kid. 😉)

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, mcarroll said:

I agree...just looks like a bump or bruise.  

First time parents!!  (I kid. 😉)

Lol, this basslet has put us through the ringer, came in with velvet and possibly brook, stopped eating three times in QT too.

I'd rather be safe than sorry.

28 minutes ago, A.m.P said:

Lol, this basslet has put us through the ringer, came in with velvet and possibly brook, stopped eating three times in QT too.

I'd say it sounds like you went through the ringer together!   What did he look like at the store??

1 minute ago, mcarroll said:

I'd say it sounds like you went through the ringer together!   What did he look like at the store??

Healthiest little bugger, fat, eating, sassing everything else in the system - stuck itself to a rock like a vacuum to avoid being caught. Didn't fall ill for about two weeks, lucky me to be watching and have medications on hand.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, A.m.P said:

Healthiest little bugger, fat, eating, sassing everything else in the system - stuck itself to a rock like a vacuum to avoid being caught. Didn't fall ill for about two weeks, lucky me to be watching and have medications on hand.

That makes two separate batches of fish to mysteriously come down with some kind of croup in this tank.  It seemed like quite a bit of time in between the two batches too.  (Correct?)

You may have already considered this stuff since I'm only here in retrospect, but just in case...I'd be reviewing things like your acclimation procedure and any other processes that both batches of fish were subject to after purchase.

15 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

That makes two separate batches of fish to mysteriously come down with some kind of croup in this tank.  It seemed like quite a bit of time in between the two batches too.  (Correct?)

You may have already considered this stuff since I'm only here in retrospect, but just in case...I'd be reviewing things like your acclimation procedure and any other processes that both batches of fish were subject to after purchase.

The clowns had been in their system for a bit over a year, unfortunately I think one was just carrier, same LFS so I imagine it may be a chronic problem in their tanks.