Coral Vue Hydros

Butchy21's WaterBox 35.2 AIO

Butchy21

Hi all,

So I set up a 26 gallon bowfront Nano reef tank about 6.5 years ago, making this tank a cheap reef tank, acquiring various upgrades as I learned more about reefing.  It is still up and running happily, coral growth has been very good but I will be moving in the next few months.  To take advantage of the move... I am going to be upgrading my tank to a waterbox 35.2 AIO!  Overall the bow front has worked out well and I got my money's worth since I picked up the tank and stand for super cheap during grad school.  The waterbox has a total size of 33 gallons with I think ~8 gallons in the rear compartment.

Current 26 gallon tank journal: 

And apparently the bowfront has hit some highlights over the past 6 years!  Super proud to have been nominated for TOTM.

There have been some challenges with that tank though - which is driving me to upgrade to the AIO type system:

1. Tank is rimmed, making it hard to properly place a lot of the equipment - Nanobox gooseneck was not really ideal...

2. Stand is pretty narrow, making it impossible to place a sump / overall storage is pretty low

3. The nature of the tank required me to have a HOB skimmer and HOB refugium, making it difficult to thoroughly clean the tank

4. Curved glass of the bowfront made photography difficult and cleaning off algae a chore

5. So much of the display is taken up by equipment and I have way too many corals at the moment!

6. Not an easy / cheap way to have a nice looking lid

7. Can't properly place an ATO magnet / float as high as I would like on the system

I have not purchased any equipment for the Water box yet but I will be buying a bunch of new stuff, while using some current items as well.

Potential equipment list:

1. Lighting: Reuse my Nanobox duo M - looking to change to a Radion XR15 Blue eventually  Radion XR15 Blue Gen5

2. Skimmer: Tunze 9004 Dc with controller

3. ATO - Tunze 3155 Osmolator

4. Powerheads - will reuse up to (3) Hydor 425gph powerheads 2x Nero 3 bluetooth powerheads

5. In tank media baskets (In tank aquatics) - (1) Run filter floss, chemi pure, GFO, (2) Refugium compartment - have Chaeto actively growing in current tank - considering dropping in a few mangrove plants - Do these need additional light or will direct light from a window be sufficient?

6. Heater / controller - will reuse Cobalt 100W heater with Inkbird controller - may change to BRS titanium heater BRS 100W titanium

7. ATO reservoir - IM Auqa 5 gallon reservoir

8. Sicce silent 1.5 return pump

9. Chaetomax refugium light - I may reuse my Acke grow light if I can mount to the back of the tank with mounting tape.  I am afraid there may be light bleed if the mounting tape doesnt work well though. Tunze submersible Eco Chic refugium LED

10. Dosing pumps - 2 BRS 1.1mL pumps - alkalinity, calcium

Apparently most tank / stand systems are all back ordered, as is a lot of reefing equipment, so who knows when I can get everything.  But hoping to set up the tank end of February! (It took over four months to get the tank after purchase and another 5 months for me to get it all running!)

Waterbox AIO systems:

https://waterboxaquariums.com/products/aio?variant=32761189073005

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just officially placed the order for the tank and stand!  Unfortunately the LFS said that their last water box order took 8-10 weeks prior to arrival... I'm really hoping I can get the new tank set up in the new apartment for a week or two prior to moving all of the live rock / corals / fish from the 26 gallon bowfront.

If I were to add 10 pounds new sand to the new tank, take a few pounds of the old sand (to bring over some good biofiltration / bacteria) and save all of the live rock - I wouldn't think the new tank would have to cycle at all.

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2021 at 11:45 AM, ramona said:

Did you get the tank yet?

Unfortunately not!  I have been checking with the local reef store often and I am running out of time...

I have to be out of my old apartment by the end of the month and right now the only thing at the old place is my reef tank.  The good thing is that I have all of the new equipment ready for the waterbox arrival.  They said 8-10 weeks for shipment and we are approaching week 8 soon.

I have a Tunze skimmer, a few in-tank caddies, ATO, water reservoir, new refugium light, new surge protector with designated on/off buttons per outlet

• 4 months later...

So overall a really frustrating experience - ordered the tank / stand Janurary 21 - finally came at the LFS around mid June!  Since then it has basically been in a box since I've been swamped with other things.  Finally took the time to put the stand together, get the tank on, start unboxing some new gear, etc.

A few things I'm having issues with figuring out - bought a new light for the 35.2 AIO: XR15 blue ecotech marine - super excited.  I originally planned to have the Tunze auto top off in the middle back chamber but the mount seems to be taking up the same real estate spot - so not sure where the ATO will fit in the back.  I also got a new refugium light that I envisioned would stick onto the back of the AIO compartment to be used for my cheato - but the back of the tank is all black and doesnt let any light in there....  hmmm maybe I can do a small light clamp facing down into one of the back compartments.

Got two mangrove trees that I plan to stick in the back as well but as of now the tank is DRY because Im going on vacation soon and dont have the time to move over the old tank / get it going.... 

My little helper Oscar was trying to get into the large box holding the tank for days haha

image_67218689.JPG

image_50422273.JPG

image_67217665.JPG

image_67158273.JPG

image_67203329.JPG

image_67511041.JPG

• Like 1

Just got a few new expensive toys in for the tank...XR15 Blue ecotech marine and its designated mount.  Not sure how I like the mount since there seems to be a ton of light bleed at their pre-determined height.  I will have to see how it looks when I finally get the tank wet.

Now working on some ideas of maximizing the storage space below the tank.  Considering a two shelf wooden setup so I can mount certain electronics / equipment, keep wires out of sight, etc.

image_67144705.JPG

image_67162625.JPG

image_67208705.JPG

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a delivery of some red mangrove trees delivered via algae barn (purchased from BRS).  One of the trees had the top broken off so Algae barn sent out a replacement.  I purchased two originally, one was broken and somehow they sent two new shipments - so now I have 5 healthy ones ha.  I don't even think 4 will fit into the back chamber of the waterbox.... we shall see.

Ordered a submersible tunze refugium light since the first one I purchased will not work correctly.  Also grabbed a small 2 shelf bookcase to try and fit into the tank stand - I'm looking to drill some holes in it, attach dosing pumps, other electrical items and run lines through the shelves to try and make everything tidy from the start.  Grabbed a cheap clip-on LED light as well that will be on a timer for the mangrove trees.

Still a good month away until I can get it set up since I will be out of the country for 10 days this month but cant wait!

image_67230721.JPG

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Getting some more equipment - finally got the tank wet too!!!

Two new Nero 3 power heads / different refugium light that is submersible - fits nicely in second compartment in the back. 

Will try and figure out best way to mount dosing pumps, electrical board, power head controller, Tunze ATO controller, etc. Looks like I will quickly run out of room within the tank stand but at least it will have more room than current bow front stand. 

216FC4FA-B307-43D3-82AD-BADBFD352F0B.jpeg

755188B5-3B0F-4510-8DD4-C7BDE69F90C6.jpeg

DCC7E476-C471-41E3-9B84-C08535EF4E68.jpeg

C0CA380F-6178-413A-B453-DC0A219A7F78.jpeg

836A8F55-5416-4B1C-8D74-937098D3DF3D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 5:05 AM, Shroooms said:

Awesome setup, Hope to see some more pics! Also any chance you’d be willing to sell the nanobox if it isnt in use? I want to switch from my ai prime and really like these lights.

Thanks - I would consider selling the Nanobox in the near future - but as of now it is needed for the old tank until I sell off some random corals that I am not moving into the new tank.

On 9/28/2021 at 10:55 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Congrats on the new beginning @Butchy21! Very nice setup, are you still planning to move the contents of the 26 gallon into this one?

Just made the big move this past weekend!  About 90% of the corals and rocks are going into the new waterbox.

• Like 2

It has been a long journey but finally got the majority of my old tank's contents into the AIO waterbox - took 5.5 hours one day and then a few more trying to get some organization within the cabinet.  

Overall the goal was to get a lot more flow and movement in the new tank.  I had the problem that many reefers do... I just kept adding more corals into the old Bowfront tank. Every potential space was taken up by something... which eventually limits any ability to maintain good water movement.  Right now there is a nice large gap behind the rockscape which should help in debris clearance.  Was able to finally put my favorite coral (elegance I've had for about 6 years) front and center!

I'm really happy with rockscape as of now.  Just have to get my RBTAs and coral banded shrimp moved over.  Will be gluing in a few last zoa frags from the old tank (Utter chaos, stargazer...).  Right now I have the Radion on acclimation mode for the next 30 days (starting at 25% intensity, Radiant color template).  Can't wait to see the colors when the intensity is able to ramp up!  Hoping that some the small SPS corals begin to take off and fill in nicely. 

Curious to watch for any algae issues.  Was battling some GHA for a few months - most likely a result of me shutting down my GFO reactor since I was hoping to switch to the new tank quickly... fast forward many months and summer travel and the tank was not in perfect shape.  First move is to run one filter sock and then use an in-tank caddy with filter sponge, chemi pure elite and a small bag of purigen.  

A few pics of the tank and cabinet - most of the corals are pissed at the moment!

image_67143937.JPG

image_67173121.JPG

image_67220993.JPG

image_123923953.JPG

Things are starting to settle in... glued a bunch more zoanthids from the old tank.  Not much more to move over -  a few things to try and sell.  Got out the DSLR to play around with some pictures.  It is nice to not have a curved aquarium, should help with getting crisper images.

IMG_8613.JPG

IMG_8633.JPG

IMG_8628.JPG

• Like 1

Night time! 

Added a new slimmer frag rack for a few chalices and zoanthids.  Got the two RBTAs moved over as well in their acclimation box - let’s hope they stay put!

D68B0E38-26CE-4D20-9E7F-94A9B00C50A1.jpeg

38AFF704-0525-469A-9FB7-D179F5C73FE2.jpeg

0BA25519-11CA-4347-A6B7-D06AAF754C63.jpeg

58B6EC36-F5F7-4FA5-8DDD-B075F9693D23.jpeg

AE24FEF0-0731-4049-AB62-C3EC50108141.jpeg

• Wow 1

Just received a shipment of corals and anemones!

The order was for:

1. Green lobo (it’s fat and puffy but doesn’t really look like a lobo to me yet - maybe it’s just a super fat one where you can barely see it’s mouth)

2. Green and blue cypahstrea

3. Three ricordeas

4. Three rock flower anemones 

Put everything in yesterday, tried to block in the RFAs so they would attach to the rocks overnight. 

love the colors so far!

78EDBB4B-BB9B-4AC2-B599-4570F0BD4084.jpeg

6B6767C1-00B6-497D-95E8-5D6D1465676E.jpeg

6FA39A3F-D719-4780-9CB3-EA394154E90B.jpeg

6D55B939-9838-427B-B3E4-D167DCFD93C7.jpeg

9CBA32BF-DE33-466C-8F92-F394A0C467A3.jpeg

• Like 1

Just got back from a local frag fest and they got a lot of my money…

Got some great pieces 

• Blue raven merletti
  • Two head gold hammer
  • Orange Mushroom
  • Green Goni 
  • Bizarro cyphastrea 
  • Orange speckled zoas
  • Hawaiian ding dangs
  • blue zoas - Carribean blue?

E0D72BB5-655F-4940-9BC3-34B81245EBA9.jpeg

D83E6F7C-D546-4443-BC6A-285EED284166.jpeg

B02B127E-A07F-495F-961C-539B257E90E0.jpeg

DD0A5DF5-3B4D-4A84-A75E-04A294427740.jpeg

4D9EA579-7187-4080-B13A-E05A381E94AD.jpeg

4A154607-C2BC-455C-A62C-FB9AF1A50B91.jpeg

C2459560-918E-435C-B347-F519D726C0B3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Paradise Reefer

Great set up! Just picked up a 35.2 and I will be moving everything over from my 28g JBJ. I have similar reasons for the switch. How is the skimmer and Tunze (drop in) refugium light working? How did the light work with the Intank box? Looking to add those two in the process of the move. Any pics of your sump layout?

• 4 weeks later...

Letting everything settle in.... Grabbed a few new goodies - rainbow chalice (been looking for one at a reasonable price for a long time), a few different zoas.  Glued in a few extra frags from older tank as well, meaning real estate is tight haha.  The cheap brain coral I got for $10 that was just all green now has three eyes and is looking killer.IMG_8648.thumb.JPG.1572179431c9a7ca64eafdcb608f9c64.JPG

Tunze skimmer was causing issues, took it apart to clean and noticed the internal tubing inside came off so it wasn't receiving air properly, meaning no bubbles!

Was cool to see my RBTA split twice in two months... had one guy last night looking like he was going for a walk.  Before bed I couldn't find him and of course my powerhead sucked him up and spat pieces everywhere!  I unhooked the powerhead and cleaned it up and luckily corals seem ok so far!

IMG_8649.JPG

IMG_8645.JPG

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • 3 months later...

Haven’t been updating in awhile. Super happy my cherry Garcia SPS is finally taking off!  10x growth from the tiny frag I got for $75. 

Having major issues with some brutal bryopssis lately. Not sure what’s the deal - have kept up with routine water changes (8-10 gallons twice a month). I have loads of flow (2 Nero 3s and even added a third small PH Koralia 425gph), have tried adding a UV sterilizer in the back, reduced feeding. 

Basically have had to resort to using Fluconazole treatments in the interim to keep my zoa frags from being taken over. Slowly adding Magneisum now with Kent M. Hoping that helps because Mag is the one thing I have never tested and usually only dose once in awhile. I did have major Calcium dump where my frigging pump got left on somehow and drained my whole dosing container into the tank!!! 

Would gladly welcome any other suggestions on how to beat that pesty Byropsis ! 

D030E30D-27B2-47C7-A83B-E85ED1E04096.jpeg

6538609D-7AC5-47D8-9B5A-C23AEBBB4F92.jpeg

6A5A1BE0-3D47-4CF8-9D4D-D4F9CB60FA9E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Adding a few pictures taken with an orange filter with my iPhone. Of course the filter attachment is meant for an older iPhone so you have to just hold the filter in front of the lenses. 

Lots of great SPS growth lately - hoping the cherry Garcia keeps going well so I can start fragging it. 

9C953BC3-6ABA-4DE0-9C64-FB85830B82E3.jpeg

5D99B74D-F910-4ECA-85D4-D0CEDF4983E4.jpeg

69F8FEA4-7207-4088-8E1B-C65BE261FD7F.jpeg

6D5F62C1-2F95-44CA-BB63-3BD2EBB279B2.jpeg

BE109D38-F322-4B16-94D0-B9531EF84AE7.jpeg

E666D0C1-8CD1-4EF9-8AA6-14087BA656C3.jpeg

Tried out a small UV sterilizer over the last 9 months (since mini reactor I was looking to purchase was out of stock everywhere) and wasn't sure I was getting any benefit from it - did not notice any reduction in the amount of algae film on glass surface or rocks. 

Currently working to try and clear up some bryopsis problems since it has managed to get on most of my zoanthid plugs and has been reproducing fairly quickly.  Hit the tank with a fluconazole treatment two weeks ago and I'm now working on some larger water changes for the next few weeks to bring down the nutrient levels.

Added a small mini reactor to run GFO in the back compartment - have the pump on the second lowest setting to get it to tumble but hopefully it is not crazy enough to shred the GFO.  I was using GFO in a media bag within the media shelf in compartment #1 but noticed there just is not a lot of flow that is able to move the granules around sufficiently.

Overall I am just really surprised my nutrient export isn't good enough to keep nuisance algae at bay.

Currently have what I would think would be overkill for nutrient export but tis not the case...

1. Tunze Protein skimmer

2. Macro algae in back compartment with Tunze submersible refugium light - Chaeto

3. Chemi pure elite on media shelf

4. Mini max reactor - running 6 TBL GFO

5. Small media bag with 10 tsp purigen

6. Generally water changes 2-3x monthly (25% water volume)

7. Cut back fish feedings to every other day

Auqa Gadget Desktop Minimax Pro Media Reactor - Innovative Marine

• 3 weeks later...