Pod Your Reef

What are these tentacles on the rocks?

Gore15

2 hours ago, Gore15 said:

I see these tentacles on a rock I have bought a while back. I see them in two places in the tank. Any idea if this Aiptasia?

So hard to make focused photos 

CCADBD00-9FE8-4578-BB3D-699155EDCC59.jpeg

607821A8-0F32-4A02-B70E-DD0266FFE5AC.jpeg

22C7EC81-1B55-40D0-AC25-BEDFFDBAAAB6.jpeg

Spionid Worm. 

• Sad 1
On 1/18/2021 at 4:48 AM, jambon said:

Hi..it looks a little bit like a serpent star, they have a habit of hanging out like that to trap food particles floating by. 

A serpent star would generally have markings on the appendages, along with tube feet.

• Like 1
king aiptasia

touch it, do they retract in a tunnel or flail around. do they feel dry and rough or smooth?

retracting with smooth tentacles means Spionida of some species

flailing with rough arms means a brittle star

contact me if its a different combination and ill research for you

• Like 1
On 1/23/2021 at 4:25 PM, king aiptasia said:

touch it, do they retract in a tunnel or flail around. do they feel dry and rough or smooth?

retracting with smooth tentacles means Spionida of some species

flailing with rough arms means a brittle star

contact me if its a different combination and ill research for you

Spionida based on your description. I have 3 brittle stars in the tank that came with the live rocks and all of them are having the zebra thing on their tentacles. 

Also I see that the small cave thing is also lengthening.  I remember reading that their nests is like a small small small white-ish pipe (that is calcium based). I am looking into how to control and reduce their population now.

king aiptasia
1 hour ago, Gore15 said:

Spionida based on your description. I have 3 brittle stars in the tank that came with the live rocks and all of them are having the zebra thing on their tentacles. 

Also I see that the small cave thing is also lengthening.  I remember reading that their nests is like a small small small white-ish pipe (that is calcium based). I am looking into how to control and reduce their population now.

dont worry about controlling them, they help clean up everything. to my understanding they are grabbing sand grains and cementing them together (i forget if its with proteins or carbonates)