inTank Media Baskets

IM 14 Peninsula - My first reef (now with nem!)

tidepooldreamer

tidepooldreamer

Hello all! I joined nano-reef in 2019 with the thought of starting a little 5.5 gallon pico of just corals and inverts, no fish, inspired by the little tidepools I loved exploring as a kid (hence the username). This never came to be, between discovering it was going to cost more than I'd anticipated even for a simple set up, and starting grad school in another country! It was a wonderful experience, until of course COVID happened, classes went online only, and I came home early before being stranded overseas as airports increasingly closed.

A few months pass, and as it becomes increasingly clear I won't be going back to school as usual for the next semester - cases are continuing to rise and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon - the thought of a reef begins to call to me again. This time though, I'm more prepared, and the 5.5 tank I'd planned to use feels too cramped. And so my journey begins:

I chose the IM Nuvo 14 peninsula, because it's still small enough to easily find somewhere to put it, and I find the dimensions visually appealing. The fact it comes with a lid is a nice feature; not something I'll have to buy separately like many of the other AIOs on the market. This is the first low-iron glass tank I've owned, and I'm thrilled with the build quality; for the price of the tank it feels really sleek, and the clarity is impressive. I unboxed it on a video call with my partner, and she couldn't even see the outline of the glass until I pointed it out!

I started cycling my rocks back in late September - 6lbs of dry rock and 2lbs of live rock from my LFS. I didn't expect much from the live rock other than a starter culture of beneficial bacteria, but I was pleasantly surprised to find micro brittles, pineapple sponges, and fan worms, with 0 pests.

FTS 12/28/20:

IMG_20201228_145244.thumb.jpg.24e09c79483c83f0716e8548f71c60a4.jpg

DETAILS:

Tank: IM Nuvo Fusion 14 Peninsula w/ stock return and media basket

Light: AI Prime 16HD Reef

Heater: Eheim Jager 75W (need to change with one that fits in the back!)

Rock: 2lbs live + 8lbs dry

Sand: 20lbs Caribsea Special Grade

STOCK:

4x Blue Leg Hermit

And that's the tank as it stands currently! I added the hermits first since I had almost no algae growth yet and they seemed the easiest to supplement their diet. I've been offering them frozen mysis, NLS pellets, and nori, all of which they enjoy very much. As I now have a decent coating of green algae on the rock and glass, I will be adding some snails to my CUC in the next day or two.

My intended stock when the tank is ready is a pistol shrimp/goby pair, and very tentatively a Tanaka's pygmy wrasse.

For corals, I am thinking of a mix of softies and LPS - I've been looking at zoas and favias, with maybe a galaxea, maze coral, and ricordea. Further down the line I'd love to try an easier SPS - birdsnest maybe? Or a monti? I'm hoping to get at least some of the corals in before the fish, to give them chance to attach before my pistol shrimp can do any demolition work 😅

I'm also interested in a selection of inverts - dwarf pink feather duster, money cowrie, porcelain anemone crab. Perhaps a yellow ball sponge once the tank is mature and running well!

Thanks for reading so far, and I'd love to hear any thoughts!

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...
tidepooldreamer

Well, it has been a long time, and I haven't done as much with this tank as I thought I would have by now. That said, it's held nice and stable while I waited, and I'm finally feeling inspired to work on it again 🙂

I still haven't got those snails I expected in January - as I mentioned in another thread that green algae never really took off, and I didn't feel I had enough to keep them fed. I believe the system has been running with very low nutrients the whole time, so I've just started dosing with NeoNitro and NeoPhos to bring those up to healthy levels. I'm aiming for the suggestion on the back of the bottle as a starting point (3ppm NO3, 0.02ppm PO4) and we'll see where that takes us.

Since my last update, I have added a frag of zoas, and a ricordea. They're still on their frag plugs since I'm unsure of placement yet (and admittedly a little nervous to try taking them off to glue them down!)

IMG_20210919_173345.thumb.jpg.2ef9837c7a800460be61f19dbad4f45d.jpg

I'm also trying to talk myself out of rescaping the tank.... I'm sure it would be more hassle than it's worth but on the other hand it would certainly be easier now before I add much more in the way of livestock... Overall I like the look of my current scape, but the open space at the back corner by the filter output bothers me as it's not very visible from the front and I'm not sure what I could put there. That whole left side is also quite shadowed by the tall rock, and I'm not sure if I'm going to find that really annoying when it comes to adding more corals?

If I went for a rescape, my aim would be to create an island in the front right corner to contain my zoas, and then try to eliminate that big sandy area from the back corner where I can't see it.

Any thoughts? My biggest hesitation is that I'd likely need to remove all the sand to do this, since my rockscape was added before the substrate to make things safe for a pistol shrimp digging.

IMG_20201204_133058.thumb.jpg.f306776d3ba05f9558164e8d22076fb4.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
tidepooldreamer

This tank has been running on more or less cruise control since last September, after I lost a lot of motivation to work on it, and I'd been waiting for my LFS to get in the fish I'd requested (still am...). I had just started to think I should start trying to actually get it off the ground when I saw the nano-reno contest; perfect timing!

Both corals are still with me, although I have had very little growth; the nutrients have still been very low, which at least means the tank isn't overrun with algae. I have had some algae growth at last - no more white rocks! - and very exciting to me I have finally started seeing spots of coralline appear in a few places.

https://content.invisioncic.com/Mnanoreef/monthly_2022_09/logo_sm.jpg.b74e78193501f34e62e1839efa71a080.jpg

Before:

FTS

IMG_20221017_190008.thumb.jpg.9f6d7202552edfe1c45ad9a3c50db38f.jpg

Pleased with how much my ric has actually grown! (Apologies for the picture being upside down - it's the right way up on my devices but NR insists on flipping it)

The hermits have pushed it into this front corner against the glass but it's been happy there so I let it be. Now that I'm working on stocking up the tank I'll have to decide where I actually want it...

IMG_20221005_164808.thumb.jpg.aa2c44c665f2111af11e47463855981b.jpg

The hermits too have gotten much bigger.

IMG_20221006_102247.thumb.jpg.4fcd71f00b5900bdcf93a1d6dc85ed94.jpg

RENO GOALS:

1) Get the heater out of the display - this one I have already completed on 10-8, and it looks much cleaner visually already.

2) Change out 1/4" mesh for 1/8" mesh in the lid in preparation for fish - also completed 10-8. I might end up redoing it again as I just reused the same spline and I don't think it's holding as tightly, but it'll do for now.

3) Vacuum sandbed bit by bit over the next few water changes.

4) Actually get the thing stocked up. I'd like to come out of this with a tank that looks reasonably 'complete', even though I'm sure I'll still add things here and there. It's been a barren rockscape for too long!

I added 3 Nass snails 10-9, which has increased the bioload and allowed me to feed a bit more heavily. I think this is helping my chronic low nutrient issue because my poor frag of zoas has started growing 2 new polyps since then! There's a light dusting of algae appearing on the front glass again about 5 days after cleaning it, which I think is a good timeline from what I've read.

I'm not sure when my LFS will be able to get in the fish I've ordered from them - I'd initially requested a tangaroa goby but after over a year of nothing, I've concluded they aren't readily available, so I discussed getting a yellow nose goby instead which he seemed more optimistic about. Fingers crossed for that one; there's another store locally that gets them in from time to time but I'd like to give the first my business if I can.

I also picked up my first LPS coral this past weekend which I'm excited about - I think from pictures online that it's a war coral? Hopefully it will do well. I haven't picked up a magnesium test kit yet but my calcium was between 450-460 per Salifert so I'd imagine magnesium would also be in the correct range for the salt mix.

IMG_20221017_150131.thumb.jpg.f10cc8df4e53625b69eb8d7d45e37018.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
tidepooldreamer

My first timely update on this tank (a trend which will hopefully continue!)

I'm really pleased with how it's going, now that I'm giving it a bit more TLC. I've noticed significant growth on my zoas for the first time since I've had them - from 4 polyps on 10/5 to 8 or 9 today! I think the increased bioload and subsequent feedings are doing wonders for my nutrient levels. Now I just need to get them off the frag plug and actually mounted... I'll get a photo after I've scraped algae off the glass 😅

I started vacuuming the sandbed a little on my last water change, proceeding very slowly. It's between 1.5 - 2" deep and has not been touched at all since I set the tank up, so I definitely don't want to disturb it too badly and upset the tank. I did a couple square inches only, I'll try and keep up with that each time.

My first LPS seems to be doing well too as far as I can tell, nice and puffy, and the cut edges look to be growing/healing to me.

IMG_20221031_102035.thumb.jpg.29a0fcf682e08dc0ac87d45ff5d7003c.jpg

I did lose a hermit last week unexpectedly which is a shame, I am quite attached to the little guys. He was my biggest, and nobody else seems unwell, so perhaps it was old age? Not sure how long they are expected to live 😞

FTS 10/31
IMG_20221031_101923.thumb.jpg.40955f608463dd9d972fe354313d5552.jpg

Still to do: actually get my algae scraper out of the packaging to clean by the sand!

I really love these feather dusters that have set up under my rocks - so funny to watch them poke slowly out of the tubes!

IMG_20221031_102053.thumb.jpg.f62113f2e38008399209460dee778c51.jpg

Coralline growing on an empty shell

IMG_20221031_102100.thumb.jpg.3a48e405b8494643c234fbbde0ecde0a.jpg

I drove up to the not-quite-local fish store this week and was really pleased with their selection. Didn't come away with any livestock this time (managed to time it just before their shipment was due in so most things were out of stock) but I did pick up a small bag of the Fiji pink sand for setting up my fish/coral observation/isolation tank. I have the heater and tank itself for that as well, still need to sort out flow + lighting...

I'm on the lookout for a rock flower nem, I think the tank should be stable enough at this point? Would appreciate any thoughts on placement! I know they like vertical rock walls, or to bury themselves in the sand at the base of the rocks - would it be better to place it on the rock or the sand initially when it's added to the tank? I understand they'll move themselves to wherever they like best ^^

• Like 1
tidepooldreamer

Everything still growing well in this tank. I finally broke out the algae scraper and went at the front glass, much better! I was nervous taking the mag scraper down to the sandbed in case it trapped any sand and scratched up the glass, so the bottom inch or so of the tank was getting increasingly opaque.

Still not perfect, but at least I can get a photo of the growth on my original zoas frag now -

IMG_20221105_125154.thumb.jpg.849e12ec2eceecdaa3bfd8cc1bb361f0.jpg

And a cleaner shot of the favites. I'd like to get them off the plug too before they start to encrust onto it but the guy at the LFS said he prefers to leave them on the plug not to risk cracking the skeleton ... any thoughts?

IMG_20221105_125252.thumb.jpg.59c7a83a31ff4aa83f34dd5379e19923.jpg

My LFS got in a shipment of RFAs this week so I picked up this little guy along with a couple frags of zoas. He's very cute!

IMG_20221105_125205.thumb.jpg.e506506e4aaf87a055d6353a25546c1a.jpg

He buried his foot into the sand overnight - does that mean he's settled where he is, or is he still likely to wander around at first?

My zoa frags are already opening up since yesterday - I really like the bright yellow on this guy. I didn't really intend to end up with 3 orange varieties though - I run my lights less blue than the store and it's so hard to guess what color they'll be in my tank. Forgive the frag plugs shoved haphazardly into the sand; I've found my hermits don't knock them around this way, and I'm planning to mount them on a rock once I know they're settled to create a little zoa island. Was hoping to pick up some magicians to replace the frag I lost a couple years ago but they haven't had any the last few times I've been...

IMG_20221105_125135.thumb.jpg.375bfb2f1ca0af275da43ac957c6a5e1.jpgIMG_20221105_110348.thumb.jpg.dc5c15078fb6e6fab1a1cfe335550261.jpg

I also added ~5 dwarf ceriths he threw in for free, as they don't really sell them, they just get them in as hitchhikers - an absurdly small amount of snail I realise but I'm not a fan of the bigger algae eaters in this size tank visually, and I'm still hoping to track down some nano conches.

Last but certainly not least, this guy, who hasn't shown any interest in the nem yet ("This rock cave is my home now!") -

IMG_20221020_095741.thumb.jpg.294e7339714c4f2e14c95b8a4248bb51.jpg

He's a big fan of phytofeast, and actually stole a chunk of frozen food from one of the hermits last night (good for him).

• Like 3
  • tidepooldreamer changed the title to IM 14 Peninsula - My first reef (now with nem!)
tidepooldreamer

Made my first online livestock purchase for this tank! Fell in love with another RFA from Salt Critters, very excited to see him! I've only ever ordered live plants online before, and one time some freshwater shrimp which do fine just in the regular mail.

• Like 2
tidepooldreamer
1 minute ago, Fish out of Water said:

RFA's ship very well. I have 6 of them in one of my aquariums. So much variety and color, I couldn't just get 1 or 2.

I wasn't actually planning to have any nems in this tank - I really like the mini maxis but with my planned fish it's too much risk - but after getting my first I couldn't resist a second one. Glad to hear they ship well 😄

I love RFA's, the only concerning thing to me is that they get a little big and I am scared that they will take up too much space in my tank. The LFS I go to has had a bunch of them in a little basket for 6 months and theirs seem to split before they get big. After seeing yours I am seriously debating getting one once my tank matures.                                                   

On 11/9/2022 at 7:06 PM, Fish out of Water said:

RFA's ship very well. I have 6 of them in one of my aquariums. So much variety and color, I couldn't just get 1 or 2.

How big have yours gotten before they split?

• Like 1
tidepooldreamer

Friday Saturday FTS:

IMG_20221119_135226.thumb.jpg.435d681cc55d080e61a1b953fb3175fe.jpg

Two rock flower nems now (thanks Salt Critters!). He looked great in the shipping bag and settled right in, and looks just like the photo on the website, I couldn't be more pleased with him. I've been calling him Peppermint, because he's red with white stripes.

IMG_20221115_112601.thumb.jpg.1ddc63c85a4a69264f5fbb7e0a68e743.jpg

Things are going well in this tank I think. I'm still struggling with low nutrients, although I do think we're improving, because the corals are definitely growing well. I had a bit of excitement this week when I took a water sample to my not-so-local fish store to be tested (to verify my nitrate and phosphate readings) and they told me my ammonia was high (1.5ppm) and my salinity was low (1.022)! I was very surprised by both of those since everything looks happy and healthy, and my own refractometer (which I just calibrated with reference solution) said I was actually more like 1.027... I ended up taking another sample to my actual LFS today just to check everything and they said no ammonia and salinity at 1.025 (he checked it with multiple refractometers for me).

I'm inclined to think the other store had a testing error based on that. They did say something about getting a similarly unexpected ammonia reading in another person's sample recently.

I picked up a new frag today as well - a nice duncan I'd seen there the last few visits. He's already opening up nicely and so pretty!

IMG_20221119_132841.thumb.jpg.332f79f40545909d5e657d7854db6cb8.jpg

Does this look like a good amount of flow for him? https://imgur.com/a/10rvyHY

I found my first bubble algae; I need to scrape that off when I do my water change this weekend. The cooling fan in my light has also started getting loud, so I need to replace that... There's always something to be done!

I'm thinking of picking up a used Fluval Evo for a quarantine tank. I think my plan is to set it up as a nice little refugium type deal, where I can observe the fish to be sure they're healthy and eating well before they go in the main tank. Probably overkill considering I'm only planning to have 2 fishes total but... It makes me feel better! And it can be a second display when I'm finished stocking 😁

Aside from the fish, I still need to track down some more algae eating snails for my CUC. I'm really hoping for either the nano conches which seem hard to come by, or perhaps a ring cowrie? They sound like they stay small and do well in reef temperatures; does anybody have any experience with them? Otherwise I've found lightning dove snails locally, although I've seen mixed reviews about their effectiveness. I don't want any of the commonly available algae eaters, they get too big visually for this size tank IMO, and I've been-there-done-that with nerite snail eggs in my freshwater tanks... no thank you!

I'm still looking for a pink feather duster worm, and either some sexy shrimp or another anemone shrimp. Other than that, my planned stocking is more-or-less complete.

I want to get a pink birdsnest coral and grow that into a nice sized colony; maybe a plating red monti for the top left part of the tank? I am really not sure how to decide where the corals should go in the tank, above and beyond light/flow requirements. It's hard to visualize how they'll grow in and look as colonies when they're so small!

Happy to take any suggestions for where you'd put zoas, favites, and duncan in this tank ^^ I'm thinking of putting the zoas on a separate rock island for containment/ease of fragging down the road... Other than that I'm really not sure where to get started!

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
tidepooldreamer

Another long gap between updates, and there have been a few changes. Biggest being that I have - finally - put a fish in here!

IMG_20230409_164209.thumb.jpg.a2a652dcc3200dedc69b13eef7c6b594.jpg

Rutherford the yellow banded possum wrasse. He's very sweet and not at all what I expected - everything I'd read said they were very timid and reclusive and that he'd immediately hide. Instead he was very bold and calm from day one - even being floated in the bag in the tank he was swimming around looking at things and not freaked by me coming and fussing with a turkey baster to add water periodically. He's very personable and always watching when I'm in the room, and he eats (exclusively) frozen mysis. He won't even take live brine anymore since discovering his love for mysis. He's also a big fan of tigger pods, so I'm trying to culture those (surviving but not multiplying dramatically yet, I think I wasn't feeding them enough).

My RFAs have grown a lot since I got them (pardon the dirty glass):

IMG_20230408_163340.thumb.jpg.2e13321ea566c875e4faedd373b69874.jpg

And I finally tracked down a frag of pink birdsnest (surprisingly difficult considering I thought it was a common offering!):

IMG_20230408_163311.thumb.jpg.bf63966dbad78567ea133a2bfba697f8.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm finally having that dreaded outbreak of dinos, at least as far as I can tell 😞 Algae growth took off after adding the fish so I resumed weekly water changes, but I think I've ended up bottoming out my nutrients instead. I also scraped a lot of algae growth off the back wall to try to get on top of it, but I wonder if that disruption also gave the dinos a foothold?

I've stopped water changes for now and resumed dosing NeoNitro and NeoPhos, as well as feeding the fish twice daily instead of once. Fingers crossed I can knock them back without losing any corals! I actually noticed my zoas not opening as much a couple days before the dinos themselves were noticeable; that was my first sign to take a closer look. Only the zoas seem bothered so far luckily; should I take them out to scrub off their frag plugs or will that not make any difference?

• Like 1
tidepooldreamer

Still fighting my dinos - I'm telling myself it gets worse before it gets better (right? Please? Because right now it looks so bad...). Daily dosing with NeoNitro and NeoPhos and testing levels to try to get my nutrients UP and STABLE. I'm annoyed with myself for letting it happen, just when things were starting to look really nice. I've been skirting by with very low nutrients for years and was nervous to start dosing and mess up what seemed to be a stable system. Hopefully I don't lose any corals.

My zoas are definitely pissed off and there's less polyp extension on my birdnest, but I think everyone is hanging in there for now... Fish doesn't seem bothered at all luckily, and is very pleased with his new 2-meal-a-day regimen, which I will probably stick with even after the infestation, since I was always a bit unsure if I was feeding him enough.

Finally got nitrate and phos both detectable after a week of dosing, although my phos plummeted back down today (not sure why...). Ordering a 5 micron sock so I can try to siphon a lot of the gunk out without doing a real water change; hopefully that'll give algae a headstart on outcompeting it.

I am feeling slightly optimistic because today I noticed a very green tint over the ugly slimy bubbles on the side wall - algae growing back on top of dinos? It was all brown before. Should I try scrubbing the zoa frag plugs and moving them to my other tank (with stock Fluval Evo light) to keep them safe, or is it best to just leave them be? Anything else I should be trying?

Last shot of the tank I took just before the outbreak really started - you can see the dinos starting in on the sand but I had not yet realised what they were...

IMG_20230424_134748.thumb.jpg.cd44b50007871315f585f0cd7ca58df8.jpg

• Like 1

I love the scape!  The more I see different versions of this tank the more I wish I went with minimal rockwork...Following along!

• Like 1
tidepooldreamer
1 hour ago, ml86743 said:

I love the scape!  The more I see different versions of this tank the more I wish I went with minimal rockwork...Following along!

Thanks so much! I love the look of the arch you have.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
tidepooldreamer

Well... A new tank came today 😉 I'm going to miss my nano reef but very excited to move into my 50 gallon! It'll be a bit of a slow start (still gathering all the pieces) but expect to see a new build thread coming up!

• Like 1
tidepooldreamer
21 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

congrats on the new tank! how did things turn out with your dino infestation? 

Thanks so much! I'm so excited about having a sump for the first time, feels very fancy haha

I ended up doing a water change after holding off for almost a month and discovered after scraping the ugly brown stuff off the glass that while I had not been able to see into it very well, my dinos had already cleared up and been replaced with what I think is cyano.... so onto the next battle now 😔 I want to try to get it cleared up before I start the new tank so I don't transfer the nasties over. At least the corals themselves all seem to be doing fine in this, except a couple frags of zoas which I need to try to clean off.

• Like 1
tidepooldreamer
On 5/18/2023 at 9:53 PM, ml86743 said:

I wanna upgrade too….

What size would you go for?

I've been reading through your thread actually, your dinos/cyano battle is really informative.

tidepooldreamer

Still dealing with my cyano outbreak; I think there's some turf algae mixed in there too which I'd had before the dinos started but not excessively so. The glass is staying clear since I scraped it off though so that's a good sign I feel!

I have a lot of cyano growing on a few of my zoa frags. Yesterday I took the worst 2 out and scrubbed them off gently with a soft toothbrush but it's still covering some of the polyps themselves. Is there anything I should be doing? I saw reference to hydrogen peroxide dips online. Wondering about adding a powerhead to target more flow over that area as well, although it looks to me to have good flow already.

• 2 weeks later...
tidepooldreamer

Cyano continues... At least green is prettier looking than snotty brown slime? I'm pretty sure it *is* cyano based on the fact it's growing over healthy zoa frags and creates mats on rocks and sand which are easily blown off, but it's not the very dark cyan coloured type. I'm assuming I just need to keep up with water changes and hopefully things will move in a healthy direction (I admit I'm scared to overcorrect and get dinos again).

Other than that, any thoughts for what I should be doing? Trying to remember to take things slowly and not throw everything at it at once. This tank was so stable for 2 years, although admittedly nothing grew very much either, so it's frustrating now that I seem to have unbalanced it. I guess I'm finally experiencing the potential instability of nano tanks!

I think I may be overfeeding my fish a bit, but I'm worried about him going hungry as well...

FTS (5/30/23):

image.thumb.png.b53fc98a8c71820131115334a34ebc47.png

At least my birdsnest looks happy and is growing well -

image.thumb.png.3cabc55d2b31b16d2faab3369c2a0ac3.png

Duncan after clearing off the sand around it a bit - I managed to target feed him a couple times recently and this seems to have spurred him to start growing those next 2 heads again 🙂

image.thumb.png.097f8825859cd3df3e5d8bf5b0930b22.png

I need to pick up a new gravel vac; the one I have is utterly useless as it clogs so easily. There's a filter at the top of the rigid tube but also in the squeeze bulb halfway down - great to prevent fish accidents I suppose but a mat of cyano less than 1cm square blocks the flow entirely. I wasn't able to clean the sand bed because of this (what I did get done was by using a turkey baster repeatedly, which seemed to be more frightening for the fish.)

• 2 weeks later...
tidepooldreamer

Still the cyano persists. I did get that new gravel vac, which is a vast improvement in terms of actually being able to suction things out. For the last week I have been turkey basting the rocks once (or twice) daily, waiting for the water to clear up, and then removing the top piece of filter floss (which is always very green). I do think less crud is coming out of/off the rocks now, although the cyano still seems to be regrowing very quickly. I think there's a lot of crud in my sandbed too most likely, but I'm nervous to start vacuuming it in case I disrupt it too much and release anything nasty 😞

I introduced 2 blue leg hermits, to see if they'd be interested in eating any of it. I'd had them already but they were in a separate tank to grow bigger, since when I'd bought the new tiny ones from the store, they seemed to be falling victim to my RFAs (is this a problem anyone else has had, btw? I don't want to have to have a separate hermit grow-out tank for any time I want to replenish my group!).

Any other suggestions, aside from just staying the course? I'm aiming for at least one 1 - 2 gallon water change weekly, maybe a 0.5 gallon one in between if I have time.

My parameters today:

Nitrate - undetectable (API)

Phosphate - undetectable (Salifert)

KH 7-8 (API)

Calc 370 - 380ppm (Salifert)

Salinity 1.025

Temp 78 - 79

I'd like to bring my alk and calcium up a little - need to remember to test my source water before a water change to see what it mixes up as. My alk used to always test at 9-10 so it's interesting to see that my LPS and SPS frags must actually be starting to consume it! It's tested at 7 - 8 the last few times I've tested, so I think it's holding relatively stable, but I do want to double check and dial that in.

FTS 6-15-23:

image.thumb.png.8cc30d7b8d5ef177972a324eda111303.png

natalia_la_loca

I’ve heard anecdotes about live phyto dosing (e.g. algaebarn ocean magik, dinkins aquatic gardens, Tommy’s phyto) knocking back cyano. Fwiw I’ve never seen cyano in my Evo that i dose daily with live phyto, although correlation is not causation. Have also heard about bottled bacteria dosing by day + peroxide dosing by night being effective. Also 3+ day tank blackouts or eliminating white light, maybe in combination with the above.

• Like 1
On 6/15/2023 at 12:54 PM, tidepooldreamer said:

I'm nervous to start vacuuming it in case I disrupt it too much and release anything nasty 😞

image.thumb.png.8cc30d7b8d5ef177972a324eda111303.png

If it were my tank and this is my normal procedure .   I would scrape the glass completely tonight.  Turn up the flow push it into filter floss overnight. 

Tomorrow morning make coffee change the fliter floss, move all  the coral to the right side of the tank vacuum the left, and water change.

Sunday morning change the filter floss and move all the coral to the left and vacuum the right and water change.  Then change filter floss Sunday night and turn the flow back down worry about the rocks next week. 

• Like 2