Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hi tank m8s,

I’m running my first reef tank and have a Waterbox Cube 20. I recently decided to install a protein skimmer in the middle chamber. However, this doesn’t give me enough room to put all of the activated carbon, bio balls, and filter sock into the first chamber. The third chamber houses my heater and return pump. I can fit both the carbon and the bio balls into the first chamber which leaves no room for the filter sock to go back in. Or if I take out one of those two things, I have room for one media bag AND the sock. 

For those of you with a similar set up, what are your opinions on eliminating the sock, carbon or bio balls? 

Many thanks!

I have mine set up with a KrakenReef floss cup which allows enough room underneath the cup to drop in a bag of bio media. I don't use the socks. You don't need the bio balls and the carbon should only be used when needed. 

The only thing in my middle chamber is a heater. I don't run a skimmer but if I chose to, I still have plenty of room. 

Third chamber is my return pump and auto top off. 

3 hours ago, MrP said:

I have mine set up with a KrakenReef floss cup which allows enough room underneath the cup to drop in a bag of bio media. I don't use the socks. You don't need the bio balls and the carbon should only be used when needed. 

The only thing in my middle chamber is a heater. I don't run a skimmer but if I chose to, I still have plenty of room. 

Third chamber is my return pump and auto top off. 

Thanks for the input. Any recommendations on the bio media?

2 hours ago, BeansReef said:

Thanks for the input. Any recommendations on the bio media?

I use Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter Lattice. It is a natural pumice stone which is very porous. Seachem Matrix is the exact same thing. 

I also use Sera Siporax in other tanks. It is sintered glass and is also very porous.