ReefCleaners.org

Amazon T5 lighting fixture

BabyBorbonius

BabyBorbonius

I'm planning my first tank and currently sitting in shock at the absurd lighting fixture prices. I wanted to do t5 lighting and saw these fixtures on amazon. Does anyone have any experience with them? Will they work? I wanted 6 bulbs because I was planning a 25 gallon cube which measures 18 * 18 * 18 roughly. I could only find these 4 bulb and 8 bulb fixtures.

https://www.amazon.com/T5-Grow-Light-Fluorescent-Hydroponic/dp/B00NMX5EGC/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=t5+2ft+6+bulbs&qid=1610760867&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-3

https://www.amazon.com/Light-4lamps-DL824-Fluorescent-Hydroponic/dp/B009GU4RMC/ref=psdc_14252961_t1_B00NMX5EGC

So the quality of the fixture has a lot to do with its performance I think it's the ballast and power supply being the important components. You will absolutely not be able to buy these fixtures and throw ati or giesman bulbs in it and get the same performance as a sunpower fixture. Not to mention the cooling problem. Those fixtures you're looking at are 100 bucks give or take. Then if you get the 6 bulb you have another 100 give or take to spend on bulbs and then every 8 to 12 months you'll have to spend another 100 on new bulbs. I love my ati sunpower. But if you're that price conscious. I can't help but wonder why you wouldn't get an ai prime for 200 bucks? Ai primes or Kessil a160we are badass lights and would be perfect for your tanks footprint. 

• Like 1

In my opinion there's three things I wouldn't skimp on. Lighting, return pump and heater. Lighting reasons being rather obvious. But the heater and return pump are vital components for your tanks life support system. Those are three areas i recommend not skimping on. There'll be people here that disagree and that's their prerogative So take it how you will. 

• Like 1
MainelyReefer

+1 get an AI prime, I am a big fan of t5 but are those even high output fixtures? The ballasts are probably junk too, do it right buy the quality stuff. Plus a 24” light would look like junk sticking out on either side of an 18” cube, so much light spill

edit: I saw it says HO in the description of the linked fixture

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

+1 get an AI prime, I am a big fan of t5 but are those even high output fixtures? The ballasts are probably junk too, do it right buy the quality stuff. Plus a 24” light would look like junk sticking out on either side of an 18” cube, so much light spill

edit: I saw it says HO in the description of the linked fixture

It don't matter if it says HO or not. It won't compare to the ATI sunpower. I'd bet money OPs fixture with ati bulbs would be putting out close to half the par of a sunpower. The cooling has a lot to do with it as well. When then bulbs aren't being cooled properly the par output drops and so does life expectancy. 

• Like 1

If you buy a Home Depot T5 fixture for $80,2 ATI ballasts at $50,you could even buy some smaller fans from RapidLed and honestly it would still be HALF the price of a ATI. The fixtirlue won't have parabolic reflectors,but I don't think it would absolutely render the fixture useless.  

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

If you buy a Home Depot T5 fixture for $80,2 ATI ballasts at $50,you could even buy some smaller fans from RapidLed and honestly it would still be HALF the price of a ATI. The fixtirlue won't have parabolic reflectors,but I don't think it would absolutely render the fixture useless.  

Hopefully this tank is going in OP basement and not in the living room. That sounds hideous kek. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ReefGoat said:

Hopefully this tank is going in OP basement and not in the living room. That sounds hideous kek. 

How ?! Ballasts are housed in the fixture,swap them out. If done properly the fans can be recessed into the housing VERY easily,creating a stock look. Come on now use your imagination.. 

4 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

How ?! Ballasts are housed in the fixture,swap them out. If done properly the fans can be recessed into the housing VERY easily,creating a stock look. Come on now use your imagination.. 

Lol. Ok..... They have a fixture I looked at that looks half decent ill concede that to you. It's a black 4-bulb 24". But op wanted a 6 bulb and I don't see one. You're also assuming the OP has the ability to pull it off. Not everyone is like you and very knowledgeable and handy with diy reef lighting. I still think his most cost efficient and best route would be the ai prime. It would save him money over time. If he's worried about money. The bulbs are an unnecessary expense. 

7 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

It would save him money over time. If he's worried about money. The bulbs are an unnecessary expense. 

Not to mention I will save dicking around with DIY that doesn't need to be done. You'll plug the AI, set the schedule and get back to the DT. 👍🏼

• Like 1