inTank Media Baskets

Nano cube 28g to freshwater can it be done

Monty66

Ok so my question is I got this nano cube 28 g the guy before me had it for salt water and I’m not to ok with doing saltwater just yet can it be used as a freshwater tank instead? How do I keep my ph normal and not have it go to a? Andy help would be sooo great I really love this tank and I wanna keep my fish alive and heathy (none are in there yet) 

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.  While this site is primarily dedicated towards reef tanks, a number of members also keep freshwater tanks, or have kept them in the past.  Yes, you can absolutely use this for a freshwater tank.  Although, keep in mind that if you use any copper medication in it while it's a freshwater tank, it's possible that you might not be able to use it as a reef tank again in the future.

There are pH buffers which might help you achieve the pH that you are targeting.

• Like 1

Ofc you can, filter and light can be used the same for both corals/macroalgae and planted freshwater, make sure you rinse the glass really well, although most fish will handle some tiny salt inverts and plants might not, take off the skimmer and you should use freshwater substrate because the good ones have a booster for plants.

You can even plan fish for when/if you change it to saltwater. Mollies, guppies and bumblebee gobies can live in fresh, brackish and saltwater and they are small fish so they are ok for nanos, that way you can acclimate them and have easy starter saltwater fish.

I had a 7g saltwater fish heavy nano 10 years ago, 6 months ago I used the same tank for red cherry shrimp breeding and 2 months ago I switched it to saltwater.