ReefCleaners.org

Nano AIO Fuge Light...Tunze vs JBJ

BigMike80

Looking at a couple different refugium lights. Mainly these 2 from Tunze and JBJ. One is submersible and the other is held to the back of the tank with a magnet. This would be for a fuge in the 2nd chamber in back of my IM Nuvo 20. 

Looking for opinions on these or if you like something better. I’m trying to keep as little light spilling out into the room as possible too. 

https://www.marinedepot.com/jbj-nano-glo-4-led-refugium-light?utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=JB9315&gclid=CjwKCAiAl4WABhAJEiwATUnEF045DRZJ1aW5gxwngkmD06hvgf8QviIY_pO9TQ8L8hQnlfGu02uIiRoCBZoQAvD_BwE

or

https://www.marinedepot.com/tunze-eco-chic-refugium-led-light-8831

47 minutes ago, BigMike80 said:

Looking at a couple different refugium lights. Mainly these 2 from Tunze and JBJ. One is submersible and the other is held to the back of the tank with a magnet. This would be for a fuge in the 2nd chamber in back of my IM Nuvo 20. 

Looking for opinions on these or if you like something better. I’m trying to keep as little light spilling out into the room as possible too. 

https://www.marinedepot.com/jbj-nano-glo-4-led-refugium-light?utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=JB9315&gclid=CjwKCAiAl4WABhAJEiwATUnEF045DRZJ1aW5gxwngkmD06hvgf8QviIY_pO9TQ8L8hQnlfGu02uIiRoCBZoQAvD_BwE

or

https://www.marinedepot.com/tunze-eco-chic-refugium-led-light-8831

Neither is submersible.

The jbj light sits on the outside of the tank directly against the glass but cannot be submerged in water.

The tunze has a better light spectrum for cheato growth but this light would have a top down lighting rather than the jbl which sits against the back outside glass wall, directing light inwards into a basket of chaeto.

With the jbl you need to remove the back black material from the tank so the light gets in.

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Neither is submersible.

The jbj light sits on the outside of the tank directly against the glass but cannot be submerged in water.

The tunze has a better light spectrum for cheato growth but this light would have a top down lighting rather than the jbl which sits against the back outside glass wall, directing light inwards into a basket of chaeto.

With the jbl you need to remove the back black material from the tank so the light gets in.

The Tunze says it’s submersible...

“The Tunze Eco Chic Refugium LED is a unique waterproof light with a spectrum suited for refugium macro-algae growth in marine or freshwater systems.  

Being waterproof, the Chic can be mounted with the included magnet holder above or below the waterline to hit algae from any direction.”

• 2 weeks later...

I would totally stay away from a submersible fuge light. That sounds like trouble. Lights produce heat and you'd have to clean it inside the tank occasionally. Yikes. Just a couple red flags right there. 

So I dont have alot of experience with new mini-fuge lighting products, but for the last few weeks Ive been using this: 

Auqa Gadget ChaetoMax 2-n-1 Refugium LED by Innovative Marine

And I very much like it. My chaeto ball has grown in the short time Ive had it. There is very little bleeding light outside of my chamber 2.  And it doesnt seem to produce much heat or enough to cause any difference in tank temp. Ive hooked it upto a basic external timer. 

You do have to wipe it off periodically since it's right there in the water (which also makes it a lot more efficient) – I'd go with the Tunze.  100% quality across the board with them.  👍  I have an eco chic white on a freshwater tank and like it.

As for heat produced, it's just going to make your heater run less frequently.  That's it.  No worries.

Just make sure it fits the compartment how you want it to since it's fairly long compared to the other light you're looking at.  👍

• 10 months later...
Paradise Reefer

So what was the final verdict? Tunze drop in or on the rear glass? 

Just picked up a AIO and want to start a refugium in one of the sump boxes. Looking for lighting opinions.