Cultivated Reef

ocellaris or percula?

jarviz

I believe this is supposed to be a percula but i realized i can't tell the difference between them vs ocellaris's at all lol. Was wondering if anybody can tell which this is, and if it will become fully black when it gets bigger? 

Nemo.jpg

9 minutes ago, jarviz said:

Thanks! how do you tell that it's an ocellaris? but yea.. apparently it looks a lot like this one 

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/6570/mocha-clownfish-captive-bred?pcatid=6570&c=27+6570

The dark eyes/iris but obviously harder to determine on a black clownfish... whereas they are a dead giveaway on orange clown. However, the clown has a dark thin line around the white bars that is very crisp which screams occy to me. Perc's usually have thicker black lines. 

Occy have 11 dorsal spines and Percs 10 but no way I can count those lol 

1 minute ago, jarviz said:

wow. thanks. those seem pretty obvious now you point it out like that lol

A genetically pure black occy is called a Darwin. Some believe it a separate species. Your clown likely has both orange and Darwin occy in it at some point. The Occy's were hybridized with the Darwin's a whole lot to get all the variations we see.