Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Live rock ID

Anthony2.0

Welcome to nano-reef.com!

I hope you'll stick around to learn that we are a friendly group with lots of great information to share.  Please be sure to review the stickied posts, like this one, which will likely answer every one of your ID questions. 

Below is my lazy attempt to ID. 

image.png.f0d1fcce49f95df57825e68d0ec5bc8c.png

Yellow is an asterina starfish. 

Purple appears to be some sort of (harmless) filter feeder.

Blue appears to be a majano anemone. 

Clam or other bivalve. They don't open very wide because they would expose their guts to things. Clams don't work like they do in cartoons- they open just enough to filter water. A gaping clam is a sick clam. 

That's absolutely some sort of bivalve. It doesn't really matter if it's a clam, oyster, or what- all the ones that are shaped like that are about the same. They filter-feed tiny particles from the water. In some tanks, they do fine on their own. In others, particularly newer tanks, they run out of food and starve. You can try feeding it and any others phytoplankton, if you're set at all on keeping it alive. If it ever stops closing its shell on being disturbed, it's dead- it should always shut if you do something like firmly tap on it. 

• 1 year later...
jcrisman2009
On 1/14/2021 at 8:56 AM, TatorTaco said:

Welcome to nano-reef.com!

I hope you'll stick around to learn that we are a friendly group with lots of great information to share.  Please be sure to review the stickied posts, like this one, which will likely answer every one of your ID questions. 

Below is my lazy attempt to ID. 

image.png.f0d1fcce49f95df57825e68d0ec5bc8c.png

Yellow is an asterina starfish. 

Purple appears to be some sort of (harmless) filter feeder.

Blue appears to be a majano anemone. 

The blue circled one is aiptasia.