ReefCleaners.org

Jack's 5 O'Clock Free Pico Pump Giveaway!

jservedio

Do you have a small pico that needs a little more oomph from your return pump? Are you planning on doing something exceptionally cool in a tiny tank and need an equally tiny pump? Do you just like free stuff? Well look no further - I am giving away the 1st place prize for the December POTM contest to the person who I arbitrarily decide should get it, and that could be you!!!

You can be the proud owner of a brand new NEWA Mini 84-159gph adjustable submersible pump - shipping is included.

So how do you enter? Easy! Just reply to this thread with a few sentences telling me what you are going to do with this pump and/or why you deserve it. Bonus points for pictures, a link to your build thread, some crazy planning, or just a picture of your dog (cats may lead to disqualification*, kitties are acceptable). The only caveat is you must have been a member for at least a month to enter and must have made some contribution to nano-reef.com (your build thread counts!).

A winner will be chosen on Friday and the winner must log in by 8pm EST on Friday to claim their prize by PM'ing their shipping information to me**. Good luck!

Thanks @Christopher Marks for letting me do this contest-within-a-contest and to @Marine Depot for having such an awesome prize!

*  it actually won't, but I will absolutely judge you for it.

** I will pass your shipping information to Christopher in my PoTM thread, which he will pass to Marine Depot to ship. I am not going to add more work for Chris with my little re-giveaway! If you PM Christopher directly and make him regret allowing me to do this, you are disqualified.

• Like 2
MainelyReefer

Here for the same reason your here, FREE CRACK! I would take that finely made Italian hardware and make an SPS 1g cube using an aqueon rimless frameless aquarium I just picked up for 15$ at petco.  I would light it with a kessil a80 I have kicking around. And I would use a 10w Neotherm coupled with a cheap temp controller I got for a few bucks when dr foster and smith closed.  Hoping it will be sufficient flow for a tang

• Haha 1

Hey this is a pretty cool little contest !  Small pumps like this are always useful, and to be honest it's sometimes hard to find good quality ones this small. 

So I'm in the process of setting up a FW planted tank.  I have an Eheim cannister filter for it - but I'm not really a fan of those surface skimming attachments and would rather use nicer looking lilly pipes.  I know you can buy surface skimmer pumps, but what's the fun in that?   I would use this pump to build a surface skimmer unit, similar in design to the Eheim Oberflächenabsauger (Surface Skim 350).  It would be super easy to take out of the tank when I'm taking photos and I can set it on a timer/smart outlet to run on intervals to keep the water surface clean and clear!

Here's the tank - built the stand custom and it's sitting on my WFH concrete desk. 

2021-01-14_05-52-08

• Like 4
18 hours ago, ajmckay said:

Hey this is a pretty cool little contest !  Small pumps like this are always useful, and to be honest it's sometimes hard to find good quality ones this small. 

So I'm in the process of setting up a FW planted tank.  I have an Eheim cannister filter for it - but I'm not really a fan of those surface skimming attachments and would rather use nicer looking lilly pipes.  I know you can buy surface skimmer pumps, but what's the fun in that?   I would use this pump to build a surface skimmer unit, similar in design to the Eheim Oberflächenabsauger (Surface Skim 350).  It would be super easy to take out of the tank when I'm taking photos and I can set it on a timer/smart outlet to run on intervals to keep the water surface clean and clear!

Here's the tank - built the stand custom and it's sitting on my WFH concrete desk. 

And we got pictures! Pretty awesome little setup - love that stand.

@ajmckay, You are the winner! I'm picking yours because I think the pump would help with your cool design the best with it's top-exiting wire, plus you have a picture and sweet wood stand. You also complimented my photography in my build thread. PM me your shipping info and I'll get it over to Christopher tonight.

@GraniteReefer, it was an extremely close call! You mentioned crack, had plans for a pico tang (no doubt a Blue Hippo), and most impressively recognized the vowel at the end of my name and wisely complemented the widely hailed precision engineering the Italians are best known for. However, you didn't attach a picture and had less words.

While I am really glad the pump is going to good use, I couldn't be happier that my first beginner forum contest came down to the wire between two people with....[checks notes] only at least two decades of combined reefing experience!

• Haha 1
40 minutes ago, jservedio said:

@ajmckay, You are the winner! I'm picking yours because I think the pump would help with your cool design the best with it's top-exiting wire, plus you have a picture and sweet wood stand. You also complimented my photography in my build thread. PM me your shipping info and I'll get it over to Christopher tonight.

@GraniteReefer, it was an extremely close call! You mentioned crack, had plans for a pico tang (no doubt a Blue Hippo), and most impressively recognized the vowel at the end of my name and wisely complemented the widely hailed precision engineering the Italians are best known for. However, you didn't attach a picture and had less words.

While I am really glad the pump is going to good use, I couldn't be happier that my first beginner forum contest came down to the wire between two people with....[checks notes] only at least two decades of combined reefing experience!

SWEET!  Winning stuff is awesome.  Super happy thanks a lot.  I like building stuff out of acrylic and I think this tiny pump should work rather well for a surface skimmer.

Oh, and the experience comment is hilarious.  To be fair I'm a complete noob in the planted tank game.   And regarding reefing, I got a Falco Hawkfish last week - and I've never kept a hawkfish of any kind before so a noob at that too. 

• Like 1
MainelyReefer

Honestly would have given it to that future planted tank too! That stand and light😍

Thanks for the fun and proving to my wife I’m not the only one who loves a 5 o’clock free crack giveaway(she’s embarrassingly uncultured)

20 hours ago, ajmckay said:

To be fair I'm a complete noob in the planted tank game.   And regarding reefing, I got a Falco Hawkfish last week - and I've never kept a hawkfish of any kind before so a noob at that too.

We're all noobs at something!

19 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

Thanks for the fun and proving to my wife I’m not the only one who loves a 5 o’clock free crack giveaway(she’s embarrassingly uncultured)

How can you call yourself a man or woman of culture without experiencing the emotional rollercoaster that falls from the highs of a $450,000 crack party to the lows of a surprise intervention at a 5 o'clock free crack giveaway? It was undoubtedly the most pivotal TV intervention until Frank came to the realization he didn't know how many years he had left and resolved to get real weird with it while roasting a bone at a funeral with some can wine.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, jservedio said:

We're all noobs at something!

How can you call yourself a man or woman of culture without experiencing the emotional rollercoaster that falls from the highs of a $450,000 crack party to the lows of a surprise intervention at a 5 o'clock free crack giveaway? It was undoubtedly the most pivotal TV intervention until Frank came to the realization he didn't know how many years he had left and resolved to get real weird with it while roasting a bone at a funeral with some can wine.

I'll block the wind lol

• Haha 1