Cultivated Reef

Getting ready to buy my first new AIO in 9 years

GlfFxtrtYnky

Good morning everyone,

I was a member of this site 9 years ago, so to say I have been out of the hobby for awhile is an understatement. I have a couple of AIO in mind, but I am really leaning towards the IM20 or if Marine Depot gets the IM40 in stock I may go that route. 

Here is a list of what is currently sitting in my cart on Marine Depot.

1. NUVO Fusion 20, but I am also thinking about the NUVO Fusion 40 and if I go that route I am thinking of adding an CPR Medium AquaFuge to the list

2. AI Hydra 32HD

3. AI Hydra Single Arm Kit

4. Helio 100W w/ Controller

5. HydroFill ATO

6. Vortech MP10

7. Tunze 9001 Skimmer

I will not be setting it up in a hurry because I am about to move and do not feel like setting it up, just to tear it down. So my question is how do you rate my setup so far? Is there something that this community has found to work better than an item I have chosen? And lastly is that light too much for the 20? I am open to any and all suggestions and thanks in advance.

Jimmy

Depending on what coral you’re trying to keep, an MP10 could be some expensive overkill. From what I’ve read, most people have to run them at 20% flow or so to not turn their small tanks into a sandstorm. Could be okay for the IM 40 though.

If you have the space and the budget, I’d just get the 40. You’ll probably appreciate the room down the road.

On 1/13/2021 at 12:16 PM, Firefish15 said:

Depending on what coral you’re trying to keep, an MP10 could be some expensive overkill. From what I’ve read, most people have to run them at 20% flow or so to not turn their small tanks into a sandstorm. Could be okay for the IM 40 though.

If you have the space and the budget, I’d just get the 40. You’ll probably appreciate the room down the road.

Thank you for your advice. I found the IM 40 for cheaper on another site and it is available. I will be purchasing that tank, but I plan to first take my list to the LFS to see if they can match the prices I found because I would rather do business with them.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, GlfFxtrtYnky said:

I will be purchasing that tank, but I plan to first take my list to the LFS to see if they can match the prices I found because I would rather do business with them.

If you aren't already dealing with them, and if you aren't sure they DO have a policy of price matching, then walking in with a fresh face and list of pricing demands may not be the best way to start out the relationship.  I'd at least be moderate in your expectations.   😉

29 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

If you aren't already dealing with them, and if you aren't sure they DO have a policy of price matching, then walking in with a fresh face and list of pricing demands may not be the best way to start out the relationship.  I'd at least be moderate in your expectations.   😉

Right? Thanks for the heads up on that, but I have been talking with them for awhile as I have been saving up the money to purchase this. They already told me they would match any price I find online. I may be an asshole, but I am not that kind of asshole. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, GlfFxtrtYnky said:

Yes I nerded out on Excel. 

I can't look at this unless you get it into MSFT Project.😉

Overspend is relative to your budget, so you tell me.  I can only tell you that there are cheaper products.

• Overkill on lights.
  • Avoid dead rock and buy aquacultured live rock.
  • No need for a controllable return pump, although that Tunze is a nice one.   The model you're looking at (1073.050) is massive overkill for such a small tank too.  
    A 40 gallon tank only needs between (40 * 2 =) 80 GPH and (40 * 4 =) 160 GPH. Round up to 200 GPH for easy math, and you're in the realm of slight overkill.
  • You probably would like to have two flow pumps rather than one...which might influence your choice of pumps.

200 GPH = .76 m³/h

4' = 1.2 meters

From the info at Tunze.com, it looks like the 1073.020 would be more than adequate, generating about 1 m³/h....or about 264 GPH:

image.png.631b12742e1cf16d0a19c204d139ad9a.png

Wattage will be lower and longevity/reliability should be much higher than the DC model as well.   Oh yeah, it's half the purchase price of the .050 too!!

5 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

What are the dimensions on this tank, BTW?  Can make some general suggestions on flow and light with that info.

Roughly 24 x 20 x 19

27 minutes ago, GlfFxtrtYnky said:

Roughly 24 x 20 x 19

Sorry I should have specified, is that the display area?  (If there's a filter area, don't count that.)  And 19" is the height, correct?

1 minute ago, mcarroll said:

Sorry I should have specified, is that the display area?  (If there's a filter area, don't count that.)  And 19" is the height, correct?

24 L x 16 W x 19 H

5 hours ago, GlfFxtrtYnky said:

An updated list of things I’m looking at. Overkill? Overspend? Both? 😂 Yes I nerded out on Excel.

I got my car for less than that. 😂

• Like 2
On 1/15/2021 at 8:58 AM, Firefish15 said:

People say boats make for an expensive hobby, but I've talked to boat people who say reefing is expensive.  Depends a lot how you slice it, but it's pretty easy to spend money – that's for sure!

On 1/15/2021 at 4:42 AM, GlfFxtrtYnky said:

24 L x 16 W x 19 H

So more like 30 gallons of display with a 10 gallon built-on sump.  👍  I thought you were building a sump with a regular return situation.

So you'll have some flow (maybe even decent flow?) from the built in filter, right?  Looks like that model has dual outlets from the sump, so maybe even pretty darned good, depending on how much pump you can fit into the back compartment.   Looks like it comes with a 600GPH DC return pump, so IMO start with that and see what you think you need to add.  Upgrading the pump may or may not make more sense than adding a supplemental powerhead.  You might be happy with it as-is.

If you decide to add a powerhead or two, I'm not sure the Vortechs are the best fit though since you can't mount them on the back (filter) wall.  If you don't mind the motor sticking out of the front or sides of the tank then maybe no big deal.  (It's a risk for being knocked off and it partly blocks your view, depending on how your tank is installed in the room, etc.)

For lighting I think the tank is wide enough that you'd want a pair of lights to spread out your coverage vs trying to do it with a single light.  (...or some LED strips that spread out the coverage kinda by default.)

If you're trying to stick with Ecotech, then you're either limited to a pair of XR15's....or considering AquaIlluminatinons since they are also Ecotech.  AI offers smaller lights you could choose from.  Otherwise, I'd consider Kessil, Current USA and any others you've seen and like.  👍

On 1/15/2021 at 7:58 AM, Firefish15 said:

LOL. i have learnt the hard way, For most of the hobby related stuff i scavenge Craigslist and i usually find a bargain.