SaltCritters.com

3d Designing & Printed Reef Aquarium Parts (YouTube Channel)

ocpondpoacher

Not gonna lie this is cool.   I'm a fan of 3D printing and myself run 2 printers, one Prusa knockoff and one DIY 200x300x1000 build area. 

Here are some things that I've thought of.

1) replacing the prop in your typical korallia with a lilly style impeller https://www.treehugger.com/the-lily-impeller-nature-based-design-inspires-game-changing-efficiencies-4863361

2) Create a pop-loc compatible random flow nozzle

3) This may seem like something that's not particularly elegant, but cord management on a reef tank is a real pain.  A bracket or track to guide a pump cable down the back would be cool.  It would need to hold the wire, but also make it easily removed for maintenance.

a) What about this - since being near water all cables are supposed to have a drip loop.  What if you designed a drip loop that you put one or more cables into that effectively stops water from continuing down to the plug.  As an option, it could have an integrated mount for a simple flood sensor - like something you can find on aliexpress or eBay.  I'll see if I can draw this one out lol. I'm probably not making sense.

4) Artificial reef structures. 

a. How cool would it be to make a cave or something that would be able to be encrusted with coral?  The 3d printed piece could be attached to a tile for weight and then a mat of zoas or GSP grow over it. It could also be designed to still maintain some water flow through it.

b. Back in the day I had some plastic interlocking rocks from penn plax that were actually pretty cool.  It would be tough, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to do something similar for saltwater.  Even cooler create a random shape generator!  This would just be for small picos since 3D printing large objects like rock seems like it would be $$.

5) While your typical "reefer" isn't as likely to show off his/her tools like a planted tank hobbyist would, I think that we have plenty. Readily at hand I always have a turkey baster, 12" super tweezers, and a small hand towel always handy.  I think a tool rack would be a great use of 3D printing.  This would be a good beginner project.  

6) ATO float switch holder.  I made one from acrylic but a customizable design that would sit on the tank rim and have an adjustable float switch holder and a spot for the ATO hose to go through securely so it doesn't pop out.  temperature sensors and other probes could also be added here in various arrangements.

ocpondpoacher
8 hours ago, ajmckay said:

Not gonna lie this is cool.   I'm a fan of 3D printing and myself run 2 printers, one Prusa knockoff and one DIY 200x300x1000 build area. 

Here are some things that I've thought of.

1) replacing the prop in your typical korallia with a lilly style impeller https://www.treehugger.com/the-lily-impeller-nature-based-design-inspires-game-changing-efficiencies-4863361

2) Create a pop-loc compatible random flow nozzle

3) This may seem like something that's not particularly elegant, but cord management on a reef tank is a real pain.  A bracket or track to guide a pump cable down the back would be cool.  It would need to hold the wire, but also make it easily removed for maintenance.

a) What about this - since being near water all cables are supposed to have a drip loop.  What if you designed a drip loop that you put one or more cables into that effectively stops water from continuing down to the plug.  As an option, it could have an integrated mount for a simple flood sensor - like something you can find on aliexpress or eBay.  I'll see if I can draw this one out lol. I'm probably not making sense.

4) Artificial reef structures. 

a. How cool would it be to make a cave or something that would be able to be encrusted with coral?  The 3d printed piece could be attached to a tile for weight and then a mat of zoas or GSP grow over it. It could also be designed to still maintain some water flow through it.

b. Back in the day I had some plastic interlocking rocks from penn plax that were actually pretty cool.  It would be tough, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to do something similar for saltwater.  Even cooler create a random shape generator!  This would just be for small picos since 3D printing large objects like rock seems like it would be $$.

5) While your typical "reefer" isn't as likely to show off his/her tools like a planted tank hobbyist would, I think that we have plenty. Readily at hand I always have a turkey baster, 12" super tweezers, and a small hand towel always handy.  I think a tool rack would be a great use of 3D printing.  This would be a good beginner project.  

6) ATO float switch holder.  I made one from acrylic but a customizable design that would sit on the tank rim and have an adjustable float switch holder and a spot for the ATO hose to go through securely so it doesn't pop out.  temperature sensors and other probes could also be added here in various arrangements.

How does that DIY printer working for you? That is a very interesting build volume at 1000mm. Post a picture.  

1... Yeah, this would be great to make and not be too hard. The only issue is that you would never get to see it because it's always spinning.  

2... Can you post a link to the pop-loc connection. Trying to search pop-loc connectors was not very productive lol.  

3... I like your idea here. I don't think I would want to do anything with just cable management because there is so much stuff out there that would work. But the drip stop with alert could be cool. This one could take some time to figure out.  

4... I've done a few artificial reef structures and have several in the works. The SeaShell I designed here is going to go in a nano reef tank soon. I'll be sharing the other projects once they get a little further along.  

5... Maybe we should start making this a thing in reefing as well lol. This one is hard because it would have to be designed for a specific set of tools. What all would that be? too many options

6... I recently created some magnetic holders that are designed to hold a camera to your aquarium glass. It could be modified slightly to do the job. Shoot over some pictures

• Like 1

What about a cover for the grates on the IM Fusion series? I've had tiny fish jump through. Something that would clip on so they didn't fall when the pumps were off? 

I need to find someone to print me on of those Nero3 guards. Badass

ocpondpoacher
13 hours ago, mfield16 said:

What about a cover for the grates on the IM Fusion series? I've had tiny fish jump through. Something that would clip on so they didn't fall when the pumps were off? 

I need to find someone to print me on of those Nero3 guards. Badass

Sure, I'll add this to the list. I am hoping to have some time this weekend to knock out some of these designs. For the "grates"... you are referring to the overflow where the water enters the back chamber, correct? (just making sure).  Take some measurements (in mm) and some pictures.  

I'll print one for you in a few weeks once I get the design finalized. It still needs some minor adjustments to fit better. 

ocpondpoacher

@05XRunner. Made a little progress tonight.  I decided to go the route of making stacking and interlocking trays.  The trays will work in the right and middle chambers.  I have to clean them up and make some adjustment so they fit together but they should be ready soon.  

1017004328_ScreenShot2021-01-22at6_32_16PM.thumb.png.13f45ac17c902fb5cd72572ceefe725a.png2144605011_ScreenShot2021-01-22at6_37_18PM.thumb.png.df4f3889b913c5be69256ccb48182d85.png

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
ocpondpoacher

I just uploaded my second video.  This is much shorter due to time constraints and the nature of the project but I have a lot more coming.  Please comment and let me know what you would like to me make next. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, ocpondpoacher said:

Did you get it printed ? 

i forgot.

Yea it printed. It took over 9hrs.

I printed it at .28 for speed since I wasnt to concerned with detail because it wouldnt be something seen.

I would say a few changes to make it print faster 

remove the entire wall facing the left side of the aquarium. It would be easier to load carbon and such when pulling it up out.

PLus I would make the holes in the bottom much larger to remove the chance of clogging up from debris and such

DSCF1501.JPG

• Like 1
ocpondpoacher
1 hour ago, 05XRunner said:

i forgot.

Yea it printed. It took over 9hrs.

I printed it at .28 for speed since I wasnt to concerned with detail because it wouldn't be something seen.

I would say a few changes to make it print faster 

remove the entire wall facing the left side of the aquarium. It would be easier to load carbon and such when pulling it up out.

PLus I would make the holes in the bottom much larger to remove the chance of clogging up from debris and such

DSCF1501.JPG

Yeah, this is not a very good design for printing. Mesh structures take too long and can't be done as small/thin as I would like it. 

I was trying to make this so it could be used without a mesh media bag but without small uniform holes, it probably won't work well. That is also the reason I make it 4 sided. 

Last, notice the threaded center... With this, I am making some threaded attachments that you can use to combine media baskets and even send water through them to a custom skimmer that would sit on top. The thought is that you could add a pump to the bottom that would push the water/air up the center of the baskets and then down the media to escape.  

I think the mesh structure would be much better of not being printed. Printing just the top and bottom then using a rigid plastic mesh to create the cage seem like a much better option.

How was the fit in the tank? I want to can see if it has enough or too much clearance. Snug but not tight fit would be nice.   

ocpondpoacher

I just complete the workbench for the Onefinity CNC that is supposed to be arriving in the next few weeks.  I can't wait to add this to the mix with my videos.   

59A95637-923B-448A-A0AB-87E3C7F105EF.thumb.JPG.1b60757c60008633af27ce2aefd1955a.JPGB0837CD3-95DA-4E22-948F-85BF4656D7DF.thumb.JPG.26c1a01424a2f325308750f7f6459716.JPG

Very nice stuff and I line what you trying to achieve. This seems kinda weird request but I wonder how hard it will be. 

A tube that will slip onto a 3/8’s diameter hose that tapers to a vacuum like tip at a 45 degree angle to reach those tight spots while cleaning between rocks and glass. 

ocpondpoacher
On 2/1/2021 at 3:18 PM, Stanboy said:

Very nice stuff and I line what you trying to achieve. This seems kinda weird request but I wonder how hard it will be. 

A tube that will slip onto a 3/8’s diameter hose that tapers to a vacuum like tip at a 45 degree angle to reach those tight spots while cleaning between rocks and glass. 

That's not hard to make depending on how much detail and function you would like.  

This is just 2 lines and the pipe tool.  How can we make it better?  My first thought was to add a flow shut off button and add something so you can attach a brush (probably a toothbrush).  Also I think 45 degree might be to harsh of an angle for a syphon attachment like this. 

840030163_ScreenShot2021-02-07at9_59_11PM.thumb.png.559c52fe4351bdc5a871baec141876f0.png 

• 3 weeks later...
JohnTheReefer
3 hours ago, ocpondpoacher said:

I finalized the Nero 3 Anemone guard design.  I am extremely happy with how it turned out.  Check it out. 

IMG_2182.thumb.png.0e0585ab91068f41d27fd442a471df9d.png

This looks great! Are you shipping? 

ocpondpoacher
7 hours ago, Bella's Reef said:

Any thoughts to making a shade for Radion XR15?

That shouldn't be to hard.  I've made several led lights in the past.  Can you draw picture of what you have in mind?  diffuser, shade or both? shade angles? How would it mount? 

I just remembered that I made this AI Prime diffuser mod awhile back but never created it.  

1762509035_ScreenShot2021-02-28at9_46_39PM.thumb.png.f02b272f057a3355e128d6019309bacf.png

ocpondpoacher

For an upcoming project I am going to be creating a universal feeding portal for screen tops.  Below is a screenshot.  Coming Soon.  

209146310_ScreenShot2021-02-28at10_48_36PM.png.2c2d42d5eafdf0500fd7afbf23fa56b9.png

Also I just finished the installation of the Onefinity CNC machine and here is the assembly video.  The last thing I have to do is create and surface the waste-board.  I hope to finish that up tomorrow.  Once I am done with this project I can get on to creating more reef related things. 

• Like 1
NanoNick0107

What about a cover piece for the feeding hole in the evo 13.5 tank? Would help keep evaporation down. And also a plug to fit in the hole for filter that everyone puts putty on.