Coral Vue Hydros

From Jebao SW-4 to AI Nero 3?

Gore15

I have a shallow reef tank of about 19gl, it is 30x13x7.5. I am thinking about replacing the Jebao SW-4 with a more controllable AI Nero 3 or even complement the Jebao SW-4 with the addition of the AI Nero. 

Reasoning behind is that the tank is pretty long and I think the current powerhead in lower settings may not be enough to circulate the water. Putting the powerhead to higher settings will cause too much flow for the stone that is closest to the powerhead and will for sure bother the corals on that stone.

• 2 weeks later...

the way the Nero are they do not throw the current very far. So the AI3 might only be able to make any current to about the halfway point of the tank. I dont feel 1 AI 3 would be enough plus the wide flow in that short of the tank might make some issues as well.

I would just add a second SW4 on the other side of the tank and use them both at a lower setting.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Nero 3 in my BioCube 32 and it packs a punch! I love how many different settings you can choose from and how easily you can adjust the flow. I plan on getting another one for my 16 gallon BioCube. AI has a one of the best apps.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Does anyone here know how much heat the Nero 3 transfers into the tank?  Nano's as all you know are notorious heat traps when you have close tops, which I do in my 12.5 gallon AIO.  Just that MP10 have the heat source on the outside and Nero 3 says max 20 watts, I guess at full power that is a lot of heat being trapped if yo and u have closed tops.

My return pump is already giving me 15 watts and I have the chill solutions chiller connected to Sicce nano pump 2.4 watts, so I don't want more heat in the tank.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

On 1/10/2021 at 4:33 AM, Gore15 said:

Reasoning behind is that the tank is pretty long and I think the current powerhead in lower settings may not be enough to circulate the water.

You'd be way better off with a Tunze 6015 or similar....or pair of them if you need one on each end.  (Two flow sources are usually better than one.)

A much better fit for a tank this shape.

On 2/15/2021 at 2:25 AM, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

Does anyone here know how much heat the Nero 3 transfers into the tank?

Thanks to the laws of thermodynamics, heat is the same as the amount of watts it uses.

If it's a 5-watt pump, then it's like having a 5-watt heater in the tank.

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
49 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Thanks to the laws of thermodynamics, heat is the same as the amount of watts it uses.

If it's a 5-watt pump, then it's like having a 5-watt heater in the tank.

Yes, I figured that I contacted AI directly and from the their website, they had mislabeled the Nero 3 as giving off the same heat in watts as the Nero 5 which is 30.  It should read 20 watts for the Nero 3.  He was very happy I caught the mistake.

I am going to get the Nero 3 and since I am dialing back the power to 25% or less, I should only be bringing in 5 watts of additional heat.  That amount should still be able to be handled by my Chill Solutions Chiller that I installed.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Also to the OP if you have an AI fixture like me, I would go with the Nero 3 for total control of both via their app, it's awsome!

7 minutes ago, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

I am going to get the Nero 3 and since I am dialing back the power to 25% or less

It seems like a smaller pump would be a better fit.  Especially since you're going so far out of your way to limit power/heat input...but also for flow reasons.  The N3 is obviously too big on both counts.

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
1 minute ago, mcarroll said:

It seems like a smaller pump would be a better fit.  Especially since you're going so far out of your way to limit power/heat input...but also for flow reasons.  The N3 is obviously too big on both counts.

My tank is small only 12 gallons and I want SPS corals so I am willing to get Nero 3 and dial back just to get 25 percent.  My aquarium is a speciality item that needs high end parts to make it work.

20210215_173913_HDR~2.jpg

Just now, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

My aquarium is a speciality item that needs high end parts to make it work.

I think that fairly describes just about every reef on here.  👍

Using an oversize pump just takes more $ and generates more heat than a right-sized pump.

An oversized pump doesn't grow more or better corals or even let you get more flow in the tank.  No benefit.  😉

(If you don't care about the $ or heat, then surely there's no problem with your setup....please don't misunderstand me.  Folks do roughly your setup all the time.  But those folks don't care about $ or heat.)

A Tunze 6020 or 6040 would be good alternatives...range from $40-$140....and from 1.5 watts up to 15 watts.

Just suggestions!  🙂 

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
13 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Which pump did you have in mind?  That is smaller than the Nero 3?  You have my curiosity now....

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
4 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

I think that fairly describes just about every reef on here.  👍

Using an oversize pump just takes more $ and generates more heat than a right-sized pump.

An oversized pump doesn't grow more or better corals or even let you get more flow in the tank.  No benefit.  😉

(If you don't care about the $ or heat, then surely there's no problem with your setup....please don't misunderstand me.  Folks do roughly your setup all the time.  But those folks don't care about $ or heat.)

A Tunze 6020 or 6040 would be good alternatives...range from $40-$140....and from 1.5 watts up to 15 watts.

Just suggestions!  🙂 

Never do I take shared information personal, I have been here since 2004 and taken more than one hit in the past for being immature and not handling good advise, LOL.  Today I am an older dude that loves free advise from others, thanks!

I will look into that Tunze, I just liked that the Nero 3 will work with my AP and it's an AI product, been with them since I purchased a AI Sol way back in the day 2009 cannot remember?  I also want the pump to look as clean as I can get.

• Like 1