inTank Media Baskets

Half of torch white?!

Xj reefing

On 1/9/2021 at 9:34 PM, Xj reefing said:

F72159A4-B060-46D9-987C-C6B26A3F73E2.jpeg

I don't see anything half white in the photo.   All those corals look great to me.

How are your water parameters?  Especially salinity, alk, no3 and po4?

Sweet tank I LOVE the euphyllia garden. 

So the theory that stands out to me is a temporary jettison of zooxanthellae, the photosynthetic organisms which live inside the corals and where the concentration is high usually produces the brownish color we expect.  I believe a coral can expel some of these organisms which could possibly cause a lightening of the tissue.  

• Like 3

I had this happen to one of my Candy Cane heads once.  Literally turned ghost white for a little more than a week, thought I was going to slowly lose the entire colony, then it bounced back and it is now as if nothing happened.  

IMG_4964.jpeg

• Haha 1
On 1/13/2021 at 4:20 PM, Xj reefing said:

I don’t think this torch had any damage done but it was recently moved so that was probably the cause. Today it looks fine

Corals adapt pretty specifically to the lighting and flow conditions they're in, so a move can actually lead to internal stress or damage from the change.

It's also easy to accidentally damage a coral during a move and not even know it.

On 1/13/2021 at 4:20 PM, Xj reefing said:

Today it looks fine

Excellent!