Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

difference between Seachem Marine Buffer and Fluval Biological enhancer?

AirIck

Hello,

I am new to saltwater.  I recently purchased a Fluval Flex 32.5 gallon tank.  My LFS sold me Seachem Marine Buffer and Seachem Prime.  When I read over the owners manual of my tank they are recommending me dosing the filter in Fluval Biological enhancer after every media change.  My question is, is this the same as Marine buffer (aside from brand names) or are they two totally different products and I should purchase the biological enahncer as well?

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

I'm assuming the Biological Enhancer is nitrifying bacteria.  While it might help when establishing the nitrogen cycle, it isn't something that you would need to continue to dose.  You might choose to hold on to the Marine Buffer in case you need to dose alkalinity someday; however, you really shouldn't be dosing this product (especially without testing alkalinity).  When dosing, you are only replenishing consumed elements (not elevating levels).  Prime is actually good to have on hand in case you have an unexpected ammonia spike.  But again, this isn't something you would regularly use (unless you are using tap water, which you shouldn't do).