Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My first experience. Start 36L CHEAP tank.

FlyPip

A month ago, I bought a ready-made running aquarium. Because of a few mistakes, everything was lost...

I regretted that I bought everything ready-made, and decided to run everything myself from the very beginning. I was inspired by a video on YouTube channel @Aqua Splendor (thanks to him for everything).

I put the aquarium on a shelf from Ikea, I think it will look great here. I'll add another shelf on top, and I'll fix the light to the bottom so that everything looks neat.

What is currently purchased or ordered:

-Aquarium 60x30x20cm 12$

-pump SICCE SYNCRA 0.5 24$

-cheap light spectre v3 (from my old fail started tank) 40$ 

-old sand (purified from organic matter from my old fail started tank) 5kg 20$

-hose and nozzle for pump 5$

And supplements 60$ :

-Seachem Matrix, 500 ml

-MicroBacter7 250ml

-Seachem Matrix, 500 ml

-Chemi Pure Elite 6,5oz

-Prodibio Stop ammo

Today total: 161$

The big problem for me is that in my city no one has a marine aquarium and nothing to buy nearby, everything has to be ordered and wait a long time.

Now I'm making a drawing to create a samp, tomorrow I'll send here a ready-made project for cutting acrylic with a laser. And I make a drawing of the filter grid for a 3D printer, I will also throw off the project later. 

I plan to buy Live stocks and pour bacteria for a quick start of biology.

Since this is my first experience, it is difficult for me to understand everything at once and take into account some mistakes. Maybe there is something to tell me?)

_MG_9840.jpg

_MG_9842.jpg

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, cockatoo fish man thing said:

You need to do lots of research before starting a tank

I constantly read something, learn new things.

42 minutes ago, Grimes said:

old dust? What's that then?

Also is that unit going to hold the full tank? Looks iffy to me

Sorry) Old SAND from my dead tank. 

Welcome to NR and reefing. If you meant real live rock you do not need any additives.

5 hours ago, FlyPip said:

I plan to buy Live stocks and pour bacteria for a quick start of biology.

There are many ways to start a new tank. Live Rock in my opinion is the absolute best VS just dry rock and additives. You mentioned no local stores so I am wondering where you can get some live rock. You can purchase on line but shipping can be expensive. You should absolutely try and find a local reefing club. The members usually will be a great source of live stock, maybe even live rock, used equipment and you might even find a mentor to help. You can start with all dry rock plus additives.

Also some dry rock (because it is a lot less expensive) and some real live rock which will and all the bio diversity you want and will cycle the dry rock. This method has worked for me many times. 

• Like 2

I'm 99 percent sure your stand will collapse within the first week of the tank having water in it. It looks way more than iffy. It's already bowing under the load of the glass alone. You need another stand friend. I know that's probably not want you want to hear. At the very least that stand needs to be reinforced. 

Your tank is being supported by the weak axis of that board. Which if it's from ikea probably isn't even solid wood. Which makes it even worse. Theres literally air in the places underneath your tank where there should be metal or wood on its strong axis. 

When you first start off in that new tank. Don't throw all that phospate removing media in there. That chemipure in a brand new setup with hardly any bio load is going to bottom out your nutrients (phosphates in particular) and then BAM you'll have dinoflagalletes before you know it. 

On 1/9/2021 at 4:22 PM, debbeach13 said:

Welcome to NR and reefing. If you meant real live rock you do not need any additives.

There are many ways to start a new tank. Live Rock in my opinion is the absolute best VS just dry rock and additives. You mentioned no local stores so I am wondering where you can get some live rock. You can purchase on line but shipping can be expensive. You should absolutely try and find a local reefing club. The members usually will be a great source of live stock, maybe even live rock, used equipment and you might even find a mentor to help. You can start with all dry rock plus additives.

Also some dry rock (because it is a lot less expensive) and some real live rock which will and all the bio diversity you want and will cycle the dry rock. This method has worked for me many times. 

Thx! I just wanted to add some live rocks and artificial or non-living ones. And you can deliver it from other cities by car)

On 1/9/2021 at 5:20 PM, ReefGoat said:

Your tank is being supported by the weak axis of that board. Which if it's from ikea probably isn't even solid wood. Which makes it even worse. Theres literally air in the places underneath your tank where there should be metal or wood on its strong axis. 

Before launching, I will test, if anything, I will add another support in the middle. This is a solid wood made of dies, strong, according to the product description, the maximum load allows you to place my 36L there (this is true). I can also strengthen it additionally.

On 1/9/2021 at 5:55 PM, ReefGoat said:

When you first start off in that new tank. Don't throw all that phospate removing media in there. That chemipure in a brand new setup with hardly any bio load is going to bottom out your nutrients (phosphates in particular) and then BAM you'll have dinoflagalletes before you know it. 

Thanks for the tip, I'll do it.

That shelf doesn't look like something I'd put a filled tank on.  Looks like MDF from the picture.  The support would be at the 2 x 4's are not under the tank itself.  That'd be a NO GO for me.

Other's can chime in, but I tend to overcompensate for weight of tank in my planning.

• Like 3
cockatoo fish man thing
2 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

That shelf doesn't look like something I'd put a filled tank on.  Looks like MDF from the picture.  The support would be at the 2 x 4's are not under the tank itself.  That'd be a NO GO for me.

Other's can chime in, but I tend to overcompensate for weight of tank in my planning.

I strongly agree

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you added a layer of plywood or whatever the board is made out of.  2 x 4 under tank frame would have been support.  It still looks to me like you've got a bow under your tank.  Hope it holds up well for ya.  I'll reserve any future comments to the aquarium.

Tank : Very attractive rock layout and rimless aquarium looks sweet.  Lots of swim room and space to place corals in center of tank.  .Are you running the Hipargero 30 W light.  I'd be interested to see how things grow under your lighting.  Will be definitely following progress.

• Like 3

Yeah you're still using the weak axis of that board for support. I don't think you're understanding what I mean by this. It seems your main concern is asthetic and not strength and I understand that. I hope it works out for you. The board does appear to be holding the load better than I anticipated. However.....I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I knew that was how my tank was set up. In my opinion it's possibility of a catastrophic failure is immenent. 

20210121_071400.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah I would strongly advise you reconsider the stand. That may be just about holding for now but I am pretty confident that it will eventually give way. I don't even trust my stand which was purpose built by the aquarium manufacturers and then I added metal braces to hold it against the wall and to stop wobble... 

But as others have suggested the tank itself looks really clean and well scaped. 👍🏼

• Like 1

I really like your set up and think this has the beginnings of a great looking tank. You have a good eye for aesthetics. I dig the aquascape as well. I use that same light on my tank. Gets the job done but I’m already looking to upgrade after 5 months. Mostly due to lack of control.

I read through and noticed the general agreement on concern for the shelf not holding. IMO it already looks like it has a slight bow. Yeah it will hold the weight but if it is bowing it’s going to put stress points on the aquarium and over time it will fail. Might be next week. Might be next year but it will happen. 100 lbs or so plus gravity will only keep pulling downwards. 

Looks like your stand has 2x2 used for the posts. an easy cheap diy addition could be getting some Fur/pine/maple 2x2 strapping at the orange or blue home improvement store. Or find a lumber mill you could purchase something more cabinet grade if you prefer without having to do any/much sanding. I believe it would blend in well with your layout and provide the support you need. You could do it for $20. Couple braces. Little wood glue. Four wood screws pre drilled. Little resin. Swipe some filler across the top and never see the screw again. Badaboom badabing. Just my two cents. You obviously have the capability by adding an additional shelf to the unit. Good luck and hope it works out for you. All the best.

what are your plans for livestock?

• Like 1

Many thanks to everyone for telling me my mistakes and giving me tips on how to fix them. I'll try to fix this problem tomorrow. First, I'll try to put one support in the middle. If it doesn't help, I'll make two. 

2 hours ago, Jungle_v_i_p said:

Looks like your stand has 2x2 used for the posts. an easy cheap diy addition could be getting some Fur/pine/maple 2x2 strapping at the orange or blue home improvement store. Or find a lumber mill you could purchase something more cabinet grade if you prefer without having to do any/much sanding. I believe it would blend in well with your layout and provide the support you need. You could do it for $20. Couple braces. Little wood glue. Four wood screws pre drilled. Little resin. Swipe some filler across the top and never see the screw again. Badaboom badabing. Just my two cents. You obviously have the capability by adding an additional shelf to the unit. Good luck and hope it works out for you. All the best.

Or really do so: I can make a board with a thickness of x2 (around 5cm, 2 inch)??? Board made of natural pine, by the way.

what are your plans for livestock?

There are some ideas, but so far there is no exact plan. I'm thinking about it.

Gets the job done but I’m already looking to upgrade after 5 months. Mostly due to lack of control.

I will also upgrade for the same reason. 🙂

2 hours ago, Grimes said:

Yeah I would strongly advise you reconsider the stand.

3 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

However.....I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I knew that was how my tank was set up.

While the stand will probably hold as long as it stays dry since it appears to be solid pine and it should be less than 150lbs, that is an enormous amount of deflection for a rimless tank. Those seams are screaming right now in pain and I wouldn't trust that at all. Time, moisture, and UV are all going to weaken that shelf over time and the deflection will just keep getting worse.

Flypip - before you get too far down the road, you should definitely reinforce this - you don't even have to sacrifice the design to accomplish this if you plan it carefully. While the deflection in the shelf would be fine for books, it is not fine for a rimless aquarium and the seams of the tank eventually will fail. Rimless tanks are notorious for splitting seams when they aren't properly and evenly supported underneath.

Extending those edge supports around all 4 sides of the shelf underneath will remove most of that deflection. After that, you probably want to address those screws or bolts that are attaching the edge support - if they are regular screws or furniture bolts attaching to an internal insert nut, you need to make sure that they have both sufficient shear strength and pull-out resistance in pine for the loads you have on them. That is extremely easy to address.

• Like 3

Thank you all for your advice, I still improved my desk. Now there won't be any problems.

_MG_9998.thumb.jpg.65f8eeca3c0b7bc6ae226852fa4b68ac.jpg

Now I am calm for the aquarium. We just have to wait. There are already ideas on how to populate the aquarium. I want to do everything in orange tones...

• Like 6
1 hour ago, FlyPip said:

This is handmade aquarium, Made by a master in my city.

Master Flypip?   

I've poked around to make a rimless tank but lose interest when I can't figure out what glass to use for the task.  None of the DIY pages I've viewed are really clear about that.

Either way it's looking good and glad you resolved the shelf support.  

11 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

Master Flypip?   

Nope)

11 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

I've poked around to make a rimless tank but lose interest when I can't figure out what glass to use for the task.  None of the DIY pages I've viewed are really clear about that.

I have a 5mm glass, it is calculated according to the table:

8e691.jpg.b91b940a066523fcf4b1b7b07ca9e57a.jpg

The aquarium should be strengthened with stiffeners or a screed, if it is from 100l approximately.