Pod Your Reef

Peppermint shrimp died? Help find out why

Xj reefing

This morning my peppermint shrimp died. When I picked the body up to inspect it I also noticed that it had just started molting as the part of the molt was next to it. In the head I noticed a hole right in front of the body part (hole right in front of where you would take the head of of a market shrimp) that was the only place I could see damage. I have a labout’s wrasse, 2 clowns and 1 purple fire fish. One of my theories is that a fish attacked him whilst vulnerable another one is that it hit head on sharp bit of rock and put a perfect squar shaped hole and my last theorie is that died trying to molt and snail ate part of him.

sorry for my bad spelling

• 5 weeks later...

I've had experience with FW shrimp - Still have a cherry shrimp colony in planted tank that is thriving. 

When I started breeding FW shrimp I learned that they shrimp most fragile when after a molt.  If water conditions were not ideal for the shrimp - they would die right after molt.  Prior to Molt they would live just fine. 

It may be something in your water quality that caused the shrimp to die after molt if he wasn't attacked during the process.  As a newbie starting my first nano, that's about all I can offer.