SaltCritters.com

A pico studio

CD_Scapes

So I have been thinking for a while about my reefing hobby and what I want to get out of it. I usually have a tank for a few months and then it wears off or I lack on up keep which in turns makes the tank look like crap. I also had this idea in my head that to be reefing I needed to be recognized or have a sponsor from a company or something, I was chasing likes and got sucked into the social media trap which in turn hurt my hobby. I lost the passion in a very short time, but hopefully I can flip things around in 2021. First off the big news for me is that I get to move into a house with some friends for college (yay freedom)! This also means that I won't have a limit on tanks (well depending on the electrical bill), so the big plan are picos/nanos galore. I have a borderline obsession with biotopes or trying to replicate them and I also love small fish/inverts. This is hard with big tanks as it gets expensive and the small stuff gets lost, so I found a solution just get picos so I can have my biotope ideas as well as keep the unique nano inhabitants. 

The first thing I have to get out of the way is that these will NOT be 100% biotopes, most of the tanks will be "biotope-inspired" that means that they will have a collection of inhabitants from a general area/habitat type. Clean up crews will be as close as possible, but with size restrictions they will mainly consist of Dwarf cerith, Vigrin nerites, and Nassarius vibex snails (possibly hermits depending on size). 

Second is the size of the tanks that will be used, the main sizes that will be used will be the Lifegard 1.2G, 2.6G, 5G, and 8.3G as well as some other rimless tanks. The largest tank I will use will probably be a 35" 12G rimless tank. The other part of this is that I want use the least amount of equipment as possible, basically just the pump, light, and heater. ATOs will be the $15 bottle ATO from eBay/amazon. Most of the tanks will be on this shelf system that can hold 100+ pounds per shelf and it looks cool too. One day I just want a whole wall of mini tanks.

1805510943_Screenshot2021-01-06115746.png.ea91cb84047322d7a9c0a499498c5081.png

That is all for now, I might make a list of all the tanks in the post below to give overview on what is all going on with the tanks

• Like 1

The first pico:

Hawaiian Dust- a pico featuring Hawaiian feather dusters as the main inhabitants, along with zebra hermits and a saron shrimp

The reason for starting off with this region is quite simple, with the impending closure of Hawaii for collection I had to get some dusters before they got stupid pricing just like how yellow tang prices soared after half the island closed. 

What are some smaller inverts/gobies or blennies that should be in the studio and what makes them a good canidate to be in the studio? Leave your picks/feedback please!

14 hours ago, growsomething said:

An all sponge nano?

That would be amazing! I'd probably go with the purple and red photosynthetic sponges as well as putting the blenny in the sponge tank. Amazing idea, thank you!

growsomething

How about one of the mini-tanks being a live rock/starfish only tank with some of the crazy ones KP Aquatics sells.  You could have reduced lighting and then feed plenty.  

What is the lighting plan for a dozen pico tanks?  That could get expensive!  A bunch of par 38 bulbs?

Also, an aiptasia/pest tank 😏

Obviously I like to see unusual tanks.

• Like 1
On 1/9/2021 at 10:47 AM, growsomething said:

How about one of the mini-tanks being a live rock/starfish only tank with some of the crazy ones KP Aquatics sells.  You could have reduced lighting and then feed plenty.  

What is the lighting plan for a dozen pico tanks?  That could get expensive!  A bunch of par 38 bulbs?

Also, an aiptasia/pest tank 😏

Obviously I like to see unusual tanks.

Honestly, I have no clue. For now the big project is getting the 25 cube all set up and running as a display tank