Pod Your Reef

Corals

Pbalz

39 minutes ago, Pbalz said:

When do you start to worry about a new coral not opening three days and it’s not opening

Which one?  The pom pom xenia?

There is the stress of shipping (and all that entails), plus the changes in parameters (elements, lighting, flow, temperature, salinity, etc), not to mention the potential lack of microbial fauna of a newer tank.  All of this can cause a coral to remain closed until it has further acclimated.

Three days isn't as alarming as concerning.  But you still want to assess the overall heath of the coral (tissue receding, shrinking, or deteriorating).

34 minutes ago, Pbalz said:

Grubes gorngonian

Pom Pom pulsing

Grube's gorgonian must be fed with filter feeder foods, but is still considered a fairly hardy gorgonian.

The xenia might also benefit from the residual filter food introduced by feeding the gorgonian.  They are photosynthetic and once they become established, they can almost become a nuisance.  However, I've had some shipping difficulty with them in the past.  They can also be used as a pH canary species.

Things are settling dii ok an only one coral not opening my torch is still closed I noticed my ph wax a bit low at 8.1 so increased it could that be the cause 

11 minutes ago, Pbalz said:

Will corals eat phytoplankton

Some people say they do.  Others suggest that phyto primarily feeds zooplankton, which in turn feeds corals.  Either way, a little phyto might not be a bad addition.  Keep on eye on your tank's nutrient levels while dosing/feeding.  You may still need to sparingly supplement other filter feeder food.

Unless your tank is packed with corals you're trying to feed, it's more efficient to turn off your pumps and put food directly on the coral, than to scatter food through the entire tank. Either use tweezers or a pipette, depending on which makes it easier to get the food to the coral. 

I'm assuming that some food and/or fish waste will occasionally fall on it also.  Depending on how much non-targeted food it gets, you might choose to feed it a couple of times a week.

I don’t have one but was thinking of getting it is there a chart or guide that explain which corals need feeding like this just wondering which corals I already have that need this care that I over looked

Mostly LPS corals. Some zoanthids may benefit from feeding and grow a little faster, but don't need it to survive, and not all zoanthids will accept food. LPS corals, by and large, do best if fed and may decline in health if not fed. Anemones should generally be fed, and gorgonians absolutely need it. SPS corals appreciate, but don't necessarily need, very small foods like phytoplankton. 

• Like 1