Cultivated Reef

Corals

Pbalz

I am not one to complain much but I just got an order of corals in from live aquaria and was disappointed in the order the frags are so small and they aren’t even the ones that were stated on the order one even looks like plastic is there other options out there that are better. I have had very good Luck with them for fish that’s why I used them. Just looking for other options

Unfortunately, I think that they haven't been quite the same since Petco purchased them.  However, generally, I feel that they aren't usually that bad (give them a call, they will likely try to make it right if they shipped you the wrong item).

But yes, there are numerous other options.  Google  site:nano-reef.com online coral

I doubt one is plastic. Pic of that one? Some macroalgaes just look like that, if it's a macro. 

And yes, if they outright sent you the wrong things, they should refund or replace. 

There was supposed to be a toadstool and a Pom Pom and they sent different ones it’s life I will call but not expecting much. They did give me an extra crab too so in general the order was kinda a mess. Is there other places to order online as my local fish store isn’t so local and his slating looks a little scary right now

7 minutes ago, Pbalz said:

Can I glue corals sideways on live rock to create room

For most... yes.  But typically you are just gluing the rock or plug that the coral is on, and not the actual coral.  Although for some corals, it's fine to glue them directly to the rock (well the skeleton, not the flesh).

Yes, you can do that, and you may be able to get a very nice look by doing it. Natural reefs have corals jutting out at all angles. Be sure the coral is in enough light and not shaded by the rocks, though. 

• Like 1

Yes, it's a cyanoacrylate glue. Many cyanoacrylate glues are reef-safe, including cheap superglue from the store. 

They are not, however, completely animal-safe. Be sure not to have large globs of glue exposed, because the core may not harden for quite awhile even if the surface forms a skin, and crabs and the like can get the glue on them if they poke at it. Grazing fish may even glue their mouths shut. The glue should be covered as much as possible by the frag plug- a little sticking out the sides is OK, you just don't want to have any huge lumps. 

Can't really tell anything under that lighting, a whiter light would help, but I think you may have a gorgonian there. Some gorgonians look strange with their polyps retracted, like a fake decoration. Complete with what looks like seams from badly removing it from the mold. 

42 minutes ago, Pbalz said:

Also what are u using to dose for phosphates I want some on hand.

What is your tank's phosphate level, and what test kit are you using?  In some circumstances, dosing phosphate can be beneficial; however, generally, it's not required.  Excessive phosphate can also be a problem and cause excessive algae growth.

43 minutes ago, Pbalz said:

Also have you heard of fuel for reefs . Supposed to ignite coral growth

Aquavitro Fuel is amino acid among other things.  I'd caution you about using it.  While like most things, it has it's place; however, I wouldn't recommend it for most people.

All levels no amount or nitrite 

alalinty 8.6

phoaphates 0.08 

calcium 445 

ph 8.4 

temp 78.5
all test with Hanna monitors

I don’t have a magnesium test kit yet

That's a good phosphate level. I wouldn't make any attempt to raise it, unless it falls. 

Start with the basics. Enough phosphates and nitrates to keep things alive, reasonable amounts of calcium, magnesium, and other salt-added trace minerals. Don't dose things unless there's definitely a need. Once you have a fairly mature, stable tank, and have learned how your livestock normally behaves and grows, you can experiment with dosing things to try for various kinds of boosts. For now, just stick with feeding things a reasonable amount, and doing water changes as needed. 

• Like 1