Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

UK 20g Peninsula innovative marine fusion pro build

Tboss11

Hello,

I'm looking to get my first tank in the hobby and I really like the look of the 20g Peninsula innovative marine fusion pro. I was wondering wether you would recommend this as a good tank for a beginner in the marine hobby? 

Also I live in the UK, so where can I best buy this aquarium and other equipment/fish to be delivered to me in the UK for good value?

My stocking will consist mainly of soft corals with good movement and inverts. Also maybe a clam.

Fish: 

2 clownfish 

1 six line wrasse

1 jawfish

1 clown goby

(Is this a good combination? I really like all these fish!)

I intend on adding an ATO system and Protein Skimmer to reduce maintenance.

Any tips are much appreciated!

I also really like the look of the peninsula tank.   

So I think you're off to a plenty good start.   I'm not familiar with UK vendors so I can't comment there other than see that there are some really nice tanks where you're at so they have to be getting equipment somewhere lol.

Your fish list IMO is pretty standard for a 20g tank, and should work well with soft corals.  The only one I might reconsider would be the jawfish.  They can be tricky.  First you need a lot of fine substrate (like fine sand) - and then they sift it non-stop, dumping sand all over your rocks and stuff.  If you get a clam it will probably dump sand on it all the time unless you somehow perch it really high up. On top of that they're tough to feed.  You have to make sure to feed enough that plenty of food ends up on the sand. 

To maximize the "zoominess" of the sixline try to have a lot of rock with holes and tunnels. 

I think the mightyjet pump will work well.  You can add a skimmer but often in 20g and smaller tanks people opt to just do water changes. Totally up to you though - there are some really cool hang-on-back designs.  What are your plans for lighting?  If you're going the clam route you'll need a higher end unit with lots of output.

Good luck! 

I think the IM 20g peninsula  is perfect for anyone to get. The only thing I will say is the regular IM 20g has 2x the room for filtration which gives you more options for equipment. But either tank will be fine. I’ve had the IM 10g, 20g drop off, and two of the 14g peninsula.

I would recommend the AI Hydra for lighting and placing it higher to get a more even spread. You’ll be able to do softies and most LPS no problem.

I like the fish list but will say the same as previously mentioned, the jaw fish is tricky to keep in a small tank and they make a mess moving sand. Blenny’s are another great choice and an added bonus is most kinds eat algae and have a great personality, kinda win win situation.

Hope this helps a little bit, and I can’t wait to see the build!

ATO is definitely a good thing.

I live in France and I got my 20 peninsula from marine-aquatics.eu, you can check them out, they might deliver to UK. 

Flow can be tricky in this tank, I recommand you make some test with the return pump, rockwork and eventually a wave maker when the tank is cycling. 

There are several light options (I use 2 AI primes for mine), some peninsula builds on this forum will provide you with ideas. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up guys!

That's a shame, I really like the look of the jawfish. I love their personality. What fish would you recommend to replace him?

In terms of lighting I'm still undecided. If I want a clam, I need strong lighting but I haven't found any that fit the size of the tank. Ideally I want a long thin light strip which won't take up any room in the filtration part of the tank and can support my ecosystem.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a rethink on fish stocking:

1x clownfish

1x Midas blenny

2x clown goby (one yellow one black)

1x pistol goby pair

Also considering adding one more fish

A pygmy angel/6 line wrasse/ Royal gramma/ another clownfish

While the shrimp goby and clown gobies are small that's still 5 fish in a 20g.  The Midas will cover a lot of space and along with the clown would be your more aggressive fish.

I think a 20g is too small for a pygmy angel.  They can be a handful even in a larger tank. 

The sixline and the Midas IMO would be a bit too much overlap. If you really must, I think another clown (as long as it's a perc/ocellaris) is your best bet for a 6th fish.  But like I mentioned I would stick with the 5 you have listed.  As you add more fish there's more competition for food and aggression increases significantly which just causes problems and makes things like feeding more of a chore for you because you have to find a way to get the less aggressive eaters food.   

Looking on getting the tank when I move to my new flat in a couple months. Just finalising stock plans. 

Plan A - 5 fish

1x clownfish

1x midas blenny 

1x sixline (added last)

1x yellow clown goby

1x goby/shrimp pair

Plan B - 5 Fish

1x clownfish

1x sixline wrasse (added last)

1x tailspot blenny

1x green clown goby

1x goby/shrimp pair

Are these stocking lists feasible? I plan on adding the fish slowly in the correct order with aggression. Particularly interested to see if the midas and sixline are compatible in a 20 long? Hence if not will replace with a tailspot, I just really like a midas and reckon I can get a small one.

I plan on adding corals and a clam to the tank later on when it is fully established. 

Thanks!