Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pleaasseee Helpppppp

makbar

I live in a country where no one has a clue about anything and no regards for life, I recently purchased a uv light just to control the pests I keep it in my filter bed on top which is built, it’s in there but you can see the glow from the spaces that allows water to flow out into the tank, will this kill my fish pleas help, I love em I have 2 clowns a wrasse a firefish and a blenny 

9ACF56ED-BF50-4CB8-A563-4EE595508EB0.jpeg

4 hours ago, makbar said:

I live in a country where no one has a clue about anything and no regards for life, I recently purchased a uv light just to control the pests I keep it in my filter bed on top which is built, it’s in there but you can see the glow from the spaces that allows water to flow out into the tank, will this kill my fish pleas help, I love em I have 2 clowns a wrasse a firefish and a blenny 

9ACF56ED-BF50-4CB8-A563-4EE595508EB0.jpeg

Not sure the long term effects on livestock although I know they come with warnings not to add it directly inside your fish tank. 

The UV may actually degrade the plastic filter.

I would put it inside a PVC tube and place that inside the filter to block light from the fish and protect the plastic filter. Furniture grade PVC is actually UV resistant but even normal PVC should be fine and last awhile.

What kind of pests are you using the UV for?  There may be a better way to control them.  Long term exposure directly to the light is  not good for the fish or for you. Looking directly at the light is not good.   Ones for aquariums and ponds come housed in a plastic case the water is pumped past the light and it is sterilized (It can not longer reproduce) thus riding your aquarium of the unwanted pests.   In order for them to work well, the rate of the water flow is important, if it too fast there isn't time for it to harm paracites.  You also don't want to kill the good bacteria. Using one in a freshwater tank that has problems can be very helpful, but it is more tricky in a salt water tank. Water chemistry, nutirent balance an micro organisms play a much different roles and are much more fragile.  I wouldn't recomend it especially if it is not in a case.  UV lights are used in tanning beds, just to give you an example of how they do affect living things.

Things a UV sterilizer will eliminate:

Suspended algae, string algae and hair algae

Bacteria (some of the creature we keep need bacteria to live on)

Paracites suspended in the water column

Things it won't kill

Worms of any kind including flukes

Virus' although it may slowdown their spred

Snails

Toxins

If all the bactieria is killed you will get a smellly cloudy tank

If you list what you want to get rid of there are many experienced members on this sight who can give you a better solution. 

Good Luck

PS there is lots of learning when you are new, this is a good place to ask questions.

Thank you so much people for the help, I’ve got a fish my baby clown Nemo that has white spots on her I’m thinkin ich but could also be flukes, anyways I’m using reef safe meds I’ve turned the temp just a lil up, used to maintain it around 25.5 degrees Celsius that 77 78 farenheit. Then I got another tank from someone. He forgot he had a wrasse in it when he took out the water that’s typical behavior here, it was in that sand bed for 13 hours until I got it by scoopin some of the sand, the problem I made was I didn’t have a qt tank my tank was doin fine before this incident. So in the attempts to save his life I put him in my tank that’s been runnin for 2 months. He’s fine thank God. Decided to keep him I think that’s where I messed up. They are all fine but the wrasse scratches itself from time to time and then saw some spots on clown, the spots haven’t increased, usin a reef safe medication keepin up with my water changes raised the temp a lil to increase the cycle. I’m runnin a 24 gallon system with a normal filter and no sump, thinks are stable keep testin the water for nitrates phosphates and all the bad stuff so far so good, so I’m just doin 15 percent water changes weekly and a lil if I feel that it needs it, the uv I got runs only for 20 minutes a day. I added it to control the ich or fluke after it ruptures. Watchin a lot brs videos and videos from other professionals, what I’m thinkin of doin is after getting my qt I’ll individually treat all of em and put em in the big 65 g but the only issue is the 65 g is not set up yes the dude that was settin it up has bailed and I’m stuck so tryin to make do with what I have until that 65 g goes up and running. Brs says not to move the fish, others say move the fish, so I’ll go with observation and then movement, so far so good all of em are eating and swimming and having a good time but lookin at those spots make me do crazy stuff like that UV I got. I’m gonna be honest I’m a mental health patient so I panic tryin to give these guys a good life, dedicating my life to aquatics and don’t wanna call it a hobby but family and wanna start small hahha like 23 gallon small and work my. Also broke hahah 

35F5718F-52F8-42B2-B2AE-9C807F05D5EF.jpeg

81A02F44-675C-466E-9233-E0F0D6A39DF8.jpeg

8A482E45-4D36-4A5E-8B27-AB03D7F13C93.jpeg

The UV won't fix ich or flukes. It can kill some of the parasites in the water, but won't get it off the fish. Reef-safe medications are also ich-safe, and are largely ineffective at completely ending the disease. They're good temporary measures if you don't have the QT quite yet, though. 

They definitely need to be removed and properly treated in a quarantine tank, with a non-reef-safe medication. Definitely do that once the QT is possible. 

Nitrates and phosphates aren't bad. Photosynthetic organisms, like corals and beneficial algae, need them to survive. As a general rule, you should have at least 5ppm nitrates, and never less than 0.03ppm phosphates. A bit higher is better for many corals. Nitrates are eventually toxic at high levels, but many tanks run much higher than 5ppm and are fine. You should be fine staying under 30ppm, and over that wouldn't necessarily be cause for panic- just a big water change. Phosphates aren't toxic at any level you can reasonably hit, but may encourage algae at high levels. Some tanks run 1-2ppm and are fine.

Hi,

It's hard not to panic when you fish get sick and try lots of medication to get rid of the problem, but dosing too many meds at once can be harmful to the fish too.  There are 2 types of flukes to watch out for. One attaches to the body of the fish, the will be trying to scratch their body on anything.  It's called flashing.  The rub on something and then jump away. The other attaches to the gills, this is the deadly one.  If your fish look like they are breathing very hard, like they just ran a marathon and are not eating.  Gill flukes will kill fish quickly. If they are not doing these thing is probably isn't flukes.  To treat flukes put them in a different tank with some kind of aeration and heater and add prazi pro. Prazipro will kill ornamental worms like feather dusters.  If you only have fish in your tank right now and can't set up a hospital tank you could add it to your tank.    They don't look like little white spots on a fish.  If it's ich you can treat this with medication again because you don't have anything else in your tank you could add it directly to your tank.  Don't add any other creature or coral until you are finished with medications and your fish are healthy again.   (one thing I am not sure about is Prazpro may not be good for snails) I don't think your UV will do anything for 20 minutes a day.  They are very specific in how they work.  I would also be concerned about your eyes and maybe even the fish because the UV is not in a case.  

Couple of notes

• don't treat with 2 meds at the same time
  • make sure to follow directions and not over does
  • since all the fish have been together I would treat them all

Good luck!  Don't worry about the 65 gal not set up.  If you keep up with water changes the 24 gal will be fine just don't add any more fish.

I noticed you used Celsius are you Canadian?  

You will get lots of good advice on nano-reef.  There are lots of very patient and helpful people here.  

One other note.  If you don't have reef lights, you can get LED's for saltwater tanks a lot cheeper.    You can't grow all the corals with them but there are lots of nice coral that do work.  (make sure to not get ones for freshwater tanks)