inTank Media Baskets

Placement

Lisareefer

5 hours ago, Lisareefer said:

I’m new to setting up my salt water 29 gallon tank I have a redsea50 for lighting.

Coral looks fine there....in the lower-third of the tank.

Have you measured how much light you're putting into the tank in PAR or lux?  What are test results (everything) like for your tank water?  Also, how old is your tank?

Tests are fine. All parameters are perfect. My tank is about six months old.   I know I need to get a PAR.  My next purchase today.    Any thoughts on a brand?

17 hours ago, burtbollinger said:

lower the better at first...

I’ve had him for About a month. But I need to place him somewhere permanently because water flow pushes him down sometimes. Thank you

2 hours ago, Lisareefer said:

Tests are fine. All parameters are perfect. My tank is about six months old.   I know I need to get a PAR.  My next purchase today.    Any thoughts on a brand?

Don't buy a PAR meter. They are extremely expensive and you will only need to use it once to map the tank. Borrow one locally from a club or your local reefing Facebook group. If that's not possible, rent one online.

It looks like a chalice coral and is going to be an encruster that plates a little bit. What power are you running your lights at?

4 hours ago, Lisareefer said:

Tests are fine. All parameters are perfect. My tank is about six months old.

😬 I don't mean to be superstitious, but whenever a newbie says their tests are "fine" or "perfect" there's almost a 100% chance of that being not true.  Can you post the actual tests that have been done and the actual results?  What you are testing for is interesting as are the actual test results.

I know I need to get a PAR.

Any kind of light meter will do for our meager purposes. A PAR meter is great, but also tremendous overkill.  

I use an $11 lux meter I bought on eBay.  That was the cheapest one I could find at the time, but there are decent quality meters for sale as low as $7 if you are one a budget.  Check out my Beginner’s Lux article to see what I use.  BTW, if you want to get back-of-the-napkin quality numbers, you can use a smartphone lux meter to get some readings today.  Not as accurate and they can be as hinky as apps are, but you can't beat the price or the immediacy.  If you have an iPhone I get decent results with Galacitca Luxmeter.  There are bunches of them you can try if the first one your get doesn't seem to give sane results.  (Test it before you use it on the tank.)

Post up your results whatever you get!  👍

I need to place him somewhere permanently because water flow pushes him down sometimes

Seems like he's in a spot where he's getting good flow, so consider gluing him right where he is.

Do you know the name of the coral?

It's a type of "chalice" coral....which doesn't help a lot

I like Tidal Gardens' description...

Chalice Coral Care

Chalice Corals are a broad collection of corals that are loosely jumbled together. Several different genera of corals are represented ranging from Echinopora, Oxypora, Mycedium, and even Lithophyllon. As such, care requirements are going to be generalized more than other corals because these are very different corals that all get lumped in together. 

If you can post a better pic of the frag (turn on the white lights, use a flash, etc) we might be able to narrow it down a little more.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, jservedio said:

Don't buy a PAR meter. They are extremely expensive and you will only need to use it once to map the tank. Borrow one locally from a club or your local reefing Facebook group. If that's not possible, rent one online.

It looks like a chalice coral and is going to be an encruster that plates a little bit. What power are you running your lights at?

100% blue and 10% white.    And thanks I will borrow oneAnd thanks I will borrow one

2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

😬 I don't mean to be superstitious, but whenever a newbie says their tests are "fine" or "perfect" there's almost a 100% chance of that being not true.  Can you post the actual tests that have been done and the actual results?  What you are testing for is interesting as are the actual test results.

Any kind of light meter will do for our meager purposes. A PAR meter is great, but also tremendous overkill.  

I use an $11 lux meter I bought on eBay.  That was the cheapest one I could find at the time, but there are decent quality meters for sale as low as $7 if you are one a budget.  Check out my Beginner’s Lux article to see what I use.  BTW, if you want to get back-of-the-napkin quality numbers, you can use a smartphone lux meter to get some readings today.  Not as accurate and they can be as hinky as apps are, but you can't beat the price or the immediacy.  If you have an iPhone I get decent results with Galacitca Luxmeter.  There are bunches of them you can try if the first one your get doesn't seem to give sane results.  (Test it before you use it on the tank.)

Post up your results whatever you get!  👍

Seems like he's in a spot where he's getting good flow, so consider gluing him right where he is.

It's a type of "chalice" coral....which doesn't help a lot

I like Tidal Gardens' description...

If you can post a better pic of the frag (turn on the white lights, use a flash, etc) we might be able to narrow it down a little more.

Yes I’ll post a better picture but I think I’m going to keep him where he is.   I’ll glue or epoxy him there. 

burtbollinger
10 hours ago, Lisareefer said:

Do you know the name of the coral?

its a chalice, reminds me of a jason fox raja rampage but probably not.  if it was, i had issues with mine, bleached it with too much whites. your whites are likely low enough. he's probably fine where he is.

you dont need to BUY a par meter.  rent one at your leisure.

• Like 1