Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hello from the UK

yorkshire.reefer

yorkshire.reefer

Hello all, 

I'm new to saltwater but not to fishkeeping having been brought up in a family where just about everyone, including me, kept tropical fish when I was growing up. 

My dad always toyed with the idea of saltwater back then, but never pulled the trigger. When I started thinking about a new tank during lockdown (my job will likely see me working from home for the foreseeable future) he convinced me, albeit quite easily, to try saltwater. 

My post in the beginner discussion board gives a bit more background on my setup (as it will be), and asks a few questions. But I thought I'd introduce myself here as well. 

They always say you'll wish you bought a bigger tank; maybe I'm weird but I'm actually already thinking about an even smaller reef tank, although perhaps I find myself in good company? 

Thanks

YR 

• Like 2
Elephant999!

Hi from Tier 4 in Wales!

ive just downsized from a medium size tank back to a nano and don’t regret it for one minute. I hated a sumped tank, had a tank crash whereas my first nano, I never had an ounce of trouble. Plus my nano is in the lounge whereas the big tank was in the dining room.

• Like 2
yorkshire.reefer
2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome to the community @yorkshire.reefer!

All these lockdowns are tough, but a new tank makes a great project to pass the time at home. Quarantine and reef tanks both require patience, you'll enjoy the new focus.

Welcome to you as well @Elephant999!👋

Hang in there!

Many thanks. I honestly can't complain, many people have had a much worse year than me, so I try to remember and be grateful, it's hard sometimes, though! 

9 minutes ago, Elephant999! said:

Hi from Tier 4 in Wales!

ive just downsized from a medium size tank back to a nano and don’t regret it for one minute. I hated a sumped tank, had a tank crash whereas my first nano, I never had an ounce of trouble. Plus my nano is in the lounge whereas the big tank was in the dining room.

The idea is that the smaller the tank, the more likely it is that the wife lets it live in the lounge. 😁

Ive currently managed to talk her round from spare room to the office (which actually I think will be really relaxing) 

• Like 1
Elephant999!

Yep, I understand the pain from spouses! I flooded the dining room and wrecked the laminate when i was doing a water change. Husband was not impressed.  I’ve even managed to get away with a 30 litre as well in my work office (spare bedroom) and sold it on the premise he won’t see it!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, yorkshire.reefer said:

Hello all, 

I'm new to saltwater but not to fishkeeping having been brought up in a family where just about everyone, including me, kept tropical fish when I was growing up. 

My dad always toyed with the idea of saltwater back then, but never pulled the trigger. When I started thinking about a new tank during lockdown (my job will likely see me working from home for the foreseeable future) he convinced me, albeit quite easily, to try saltwater. 

My post in the beginner discussion board gives a bit more background on my setup (as it will be), and asks a few questions. But I thought I'd introduce myself here as well. 

They always say you'll wish you bought a bigger tank; maybe I'm weird but I'm actually already thinking about an even smaller reef tank, although perhaps I find myself in good company? 

Thanks

YR 

:welcome:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Ive had larger reefs in the past (125 gallons, 75 gallons) and going forward, Im personally not going over 35 gallons (total volume) again. 

The reason's are controllability, ease of maintenance and cost.

In the past the common reefing philosophy has been that with a larger water volume, an aquarium is less buffered from extreme parameter swings by dilution of the 'bad' elements. Unfortunately when the evitable happens, the ability to correct issues and make adjustments requires massive work, time and cost with large water volumes. However, I believe the converse is a stronger argument today because of the precision equipment available - that the control of smaller water volume is easier to manage. And its much lower cost in all aspects..   initial setup, equipment as well as equipment complexity, dosing, feeding, water changes, etc. 

Hope that helps! 

Hello from a Manc! Welcome to Nano-reef!

I dont post much but use this site often as my go to for any questions i have or information I need, it's a fantastic forum!

Have you considered a journal for your reef journey? My system is 6 months old now and I really regret not making one! 

Happy Lockdown 3.0 😉