Cultivated Reef

Fin rot or fin nipping?

Wafflecopter

So I got a darwin clown last weekend and put him with my other ocellaris in my 10 gallon. (The darwin is about 3/4 inch the ocellaris is about 1 1/4 inch) I noticed this evening he was struggling to swim and got him out and into a container to observe him better. I noticed his tail fin and his right pectoral fin were jagged. He had a dull grayish tint to him also. Is this a disease or are the two fighting? I noticed a few spats the first hour but after that haven't seen them nip at each other. I got as good of a picture as I could and am currently setting up a spare Fluval Spec 3 as a hospital tank. Any help is appreciated.

IMG_20201230_203720.jpg

Unfortunately he has passed away. I'm not sure if I was too late in catching an illness or if my other clown bullied him and stressed him too much. I am very upset that I lost him but would still like to know your thoughts on what was likely to blame. I try and take every mistake or failure as an opportunity to learn and better myself. 

I don't see anything disease related from the photo you provided. Do you have any other pictures showing the fish from the side? It's very possible that the female killed him, as pairing doesn't always go as planned.

I'm very sorry you lost him. :(

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Humblefish said:

I don't see anything disease related from the photo you provided. Do you have any other pictures showing the fish from the side? It's very possible that the female killed him, as pairing doesn't always go as planned.

I'm very sorry you lost him. 😞

The only other picture I have is kind of blurry. He wouldn't stay still long enough. Even though it's blurry I didn't see any damage to the fins and that was taken the night prior. I am relieved it isn't any type of disease but will not be introducing another clownfish (or any fish) until I have my 75 gallon up and running. 

IMG_20201228_232622.jpg

Wafflecopter
30 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Hard to tell but was thinking maybe the dull grey tint and these areas was perhaps brook? I would watch the other one closely. 

clown.thumb.JPG.bfa94e5348c8beedf17e51098c524fe4.JPG

I will keep a close eye. Any early signs to look for? I will get some medications on order for a variety of illnesses if for no other reason than to be prepared for any future issues.

20 minutes ago, Wafflecopter said:

I will keep a close eye. Any early signs to look for? I will get some medications on order for a variety of illnesses if for no other reason than to be prepared for any future issues.

Early signs/photos here:

• Like 1
Wafflecopter
26 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Early signs/photos here:

The first picture really helped. That was almost identical to how he appeared. When trying to find pictures of illnesses all I found were the more severe and obvious signs. I will keep a close eye and get a tank ready if needed. Thank you all so much for the help. 

13 hours ago, Wafflecopter said:

The first picture really helped. That was almost identical to how he appeared. When trying to find pictures of illnesses all I found were the more severe and obvious signs. I will keep a close eye and get a tank ready if needed. Thank you all so much for the help. 

If your clownfish had Brook, keep a close eye on the other one and have Formalin or Ruby Reef Rally on standby to treat.

Wafflecopter
49 minutes ago, Humblefish said:

If your clownfish had Brook, keep a close eye on the other one and have Formalin or Ruby Reef Rally on standby to treat.

I already have some on order. Thank you again.

• Like 1