Cultivated Reef

Snail dying??

I'm Batman

Should I take these out and spread Dino’s to another tank or just pitch them? Hate to do either one, but would obviously like to save him if I can...

Have a few doing this, if I put them back up on the gyre they’ll take off again, but I’m finding this every day...

4DE71135-F7E5-4968-93AF-974B5787B2A9.jpeg

8 hours ago, I'm Batman said:

Have a few doing this, if I put them back up on the gyre they’ll take off again, but I’m finding this every day...

They are losing strength either due to lack of food or toxicity of food.  (Or both.)

59 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

They are losing strength either due to lack of food or toxicity of food.

Gotta be toxicity, there’s algae taking hold for them. These are WWC astreas too, maybe had them a month. My other snail I’ve had for a few years is still cranking like nothings going on. Lost 2 last week.

It may not directly help these guys (yet it might) but are you running activated carbon?  This will do a good job of removing toxins from the water....but not from their food, if they are still grazing dino's.

If any of the algae is growing long, hand-pull that....snais can only eat the tiny algae nubbins.  👍

49 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

running activated carbon

Yes started a few weeks ago as toxin control for the Dino’s. 

The longer algae that’s growing is unable to be pulled, it’s rooted pretty strongly. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, I'm Batman said:

The longer algae that’s growing is unable to be pulled, it’s rooted pretty strongly. 

You can do it!  👍

If the algae is holding so tight that you lift up the rock when you pull it, then you're grabbing too much algae at once.  Use your fingers like tweezers and go down to grabbing one algae strand at a time if you have to....but you won't have to go that far.  Use actual tweezers if you have to.  

You will also have to be patient...progress can be slow.  It helps to work in a very small area until it's totally done so that you feel like you're making progress.  Select something like a 1"x1" area to focus on.  (It's easy to go picking over a whole rock or two for an hour and then at the end it looks like you didn't do much, or nothing at all, when you're done because there's still a lot of little strands left.  This can be a little demoralizing, hence the advice to work in small spaces.)

Do it like in this video:

• Like 1