crashburnoveride

CBO's 15g softy build

crashburnoveride

Yes I am definitely doing an ATO now. Something I can refill when I do my weekly water change. Totally new to this nano thing. My old tank was much bigger it was more forgiving. 

One of the things that I'm really enjoying about this project so far is all the gadgets Ive been researching that weren't available to me back in like 2007. Smart wifi power strips, reefpi, LED lighting, etc. If I do the reefpi I think it would be for 1 reason. The salinity probe (over $100 tho 🥴) because I dream of a screen next to the tank displaying temp, salinity, ph and whatever else that I can glance at as I walk by. The tech just seems so cool. I wouldnt mind some wifi cameras either. One in sump and one in/on display so I can check in whenever. Pipe dreams? Refer dreams? 😆 🤷‍♂️ 

Aj if it will cost more to build my own LED light than just buying a black box I'll probably just buy the box tbh. 😆 This light I have now has a 150w MH, 28w of t5 actinic and 4 blue nighttime leds. Its honestly too much light, and its form is too big. I do like how I can control each one seperate on timers tho. Its for sale btw 😉 I could hang it but I know my rambunctious 5yo son would throw a ball at it or something its inevitable. 

How come I cant link a picture from URL on mobile? Trying to use flickr to host. 

-CBO

ajmckay
3 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

Lessons I've learned the hard way that I hope you consider:

Definitely get an ATO.  This makes the hobby so much easier. 

Definitely get a temperature controller.  This is the one I got and it works like a charm.    

This is the one I use as well!  Works awesome.   It looks like they have a wifi enabled one as well for not a lot more.  I also have a DIY style controller based on the small inkbird panel mount temp controller that's like $10 or $15 on eBay and it works equally well. 

55 minutes ago, Firefish15 said:

How’s that one been working @TatorTaco? Does the probe rust at all?

Had it for at least 5 years and so far no rust.  They sell a longer probe that's really nice if you use a probe holder.  I use both versions though (on different controllers) and they are both rust free. 

• Thanks 1

crashburnoveride

Sketch and mock up. 

20210111_133329.thumb.jpg.da62683d51c3bde1ad50039303adfc6e.jpg20210111_155055.thumb.jpg.3094350d3541c3c751ee031289797baf.jpg

I really am pretty sold on this scape. Left side kind of wraps around the overflow with an arch branching out. And the opposite side is more open and simple. 👌

-CBO

• Like 2

ajmckay
4 hours ago, crashburnoveride said:

Yes I am definitely doing an ATO now. Something I can refill when I do my weekly water change. Totally new to this nano thing. My old tank was much bigger it was more forgiving. 

One of the things that I'm really enjoying about this project so far is all the gadgets Ive been researching that weren't available to me back in like 2007. Smart wifi power strips, reefpi, LED lighting, etc. If I do the reefpi I think it would be for 1 reason. The salinity probe (over $100 tho 🥴) because I dream of a screen next to the tank displaying temp, salinity, ph and whatever else that I can glance at as I walk by. The tech just seems so cool. I wouldnt mind some wifi cameras either. One in sump and one in/on display so I can check in whenever. Pipe dreams? Refer dreams? 😆 🤷‍♂️ 

Aj if it will cost more to build my own LED light than just buying a black box I'll probably just buy the box tbh. 😆 This light I have now has a 150w MH, 28w of t5 actinic and 4 blue nighttime leds. Its honestly too much light, and its form is too big. I do like how I can control each one seperate on timers tho. Its for sale btw 😉 I could hang it but I know my rambunctious 5yo son would throw a ball at it or something its inevitable. 

How come I cant link a picture from URL on mobile? Trying to use flickr to host. 

-CBO

I also like the gadgets and DIY opportunities.  One of the coolest aspects of this hobby is that there are so many different ways to do it.  And tech certainly has kept up with the growth as well.  Even in the last year or so there have been some really cool developments in pump design, like the AI Nero. 

On the topic of LED - I spent $400 on a light for a 36"w x 18"d x 16"t tank. So roughly the equivalent of 2 high high end pendant lights - and to buy 2 of those would cost $800 or so.  If you were to light a 15g DIY style, and with today's options (and a more reasonably sized heatsink), then you could land between $100 and $200.  Power supply and heatsink being some of the major items.  It's hard to beat something like an AI prime for a tank your size though. 

Not sure on the flikr question... maybe try a different link? 

crashburnoveride

Wow I love how it turned out. Took me 3 hours. 

20210111_203425.thumb.jpg.aec7dd7e591bb1ff4e3f2c690e11079c.jpg20210111_203510.thumb.jpg.2569d3b6c0574339e90bce80f9fc40ce.jpg20210111_203407.thumb.jpg.c9f7a4b66566d08545489c0b8dd8b486.jpg20210111_203516.thumb.jpg.004454e08344dc0dd07406372aaff173.jpg

I think I might put them on eggcrate only under the big rocks. Just paranoid my kids stomping will cause something to crack. 😬 Did I mention he's rambunctious? 😅

• Like 2

ajmckay

Liking the scape!!!  That front rock would be a nice GSP (green star polyp) island.  

Looks like a decent amount of coral placement opportunities.  Just make sure you have some nice hidey holes for whatever fish you end up with.   Speaking of which, now that your tank is just about ready to add water have you thought more about what you want to try for fish and corals? 

• Like 1

crashburnoveride
4 hours ago, ajmckay said:

now that your tank is just about ready to add water have you thought more about what you want to try for fish and corals? 

For fish I'm just starting with a clownfish and hoping to resist the urge to add more. I would like a purple dottyback someday tho. I had a convict goby for years and loved that fish, but sadly I don't think I have enough room to keep one. I will also get a clean up crew. Undecided on hermits or an emerald crab. And need to research snail species. It will be interesting to see what happens in the tank with my skimmer and the chaeto fuge. Maybe crabs won't have enough to munch on... 

For corals I know I want a photosynthetic gorgonian, a toadstool, mayyybe a kenya tree, gsp, and hoping to find some colorful zoas locally without an astronomical price tag, as well as a colorful mushroom. Nothing crazy, just want to have some success and enjoy the tank.

-CBO

• Like 2

ReefCap

Hermits over emerald always, and personally I like snails VS crabs because so many crabs (even hermits can eat corals) trocus snails are my favorite for rocks and glass, nassrius for sand.

For corals I’d be hesitant of GSP and Kenya tree, they spread like weeds. Good colored Zoas are not to hard to find for cheap so that’s a great plan. Yes to the toadstool and gorgonian. Look at cabbage leather (there’s some very bright green ones) and some easy LPS like acans and hammers/frogspawn. Lots of color and movement for not to much.

Glad to see you’ve figured out your over flow. Can’t wait to see more!

crashburnoveride

So for my ATO what depth should my return chamber be? I had planned on a 6" tall baffle. I could go up to 8" but wanted some space for backflow. 

20210113_062005.thumb.jpg.8a9e06c70692c59f4489e731be25adbf.jpg

-CBO

crashburnoveride
20 hours ago, ReefCap said:

Glad to see you’ve figured out your over flow. Can’t wait to see more!

Yeahhhh... I went back to design 1 with a few modifications. 😆 

20210113_200315.thumb.jpg.91c2a93db594a9f3b51b9c28b6740b66.jpg

20210113_200340.thumb.jpg.4c1126fc2e471c59e898ee4d00d2aef2.jpg

20210113_210755.thumb.jpg.a579658d86949855914b59a1406e51ab.jpg

Sizing the elbow coming out of the T fitting on the durso down to a 3/4" saved a lot of room. This will ultimately turn out to be better I think because the water level in the overflow box will be much higher and therefore more quiet. Every piece is completely removable though! 

-CBO

ajmckay
13 hours ago, crashburnoveride said:

So for my ATO what depth should my return chamber be? I had planned on a 6" tall baffle. I could go up to 8" but wanted some space for backflow. 

-CBO

My recommendation is to maximize the size of the return chamber (within reason).  Depending on what pump you put in there it could start to suck in water from the surface. Also, even though you'll have an ATO a slightly larger volume will make it turn on less often and in the chance that your ATO reservoir runs dry it gives you a bit more time. 

That being said as you note you don't want an overflow.  So calculate the depth of your return line and whatever that volume is then reserve that much, +10-20% for when you shut off the return pump.

Finally - agree on your decision to keep the overflow water level higher.  Less noise is nice.   

do you have a sump drawing? 

crashburnoveride

Thanks for the input again AJ. Yes I have a sump drawing. I still haven't worked out the filter floss area yet. Both ends of the fuge are black acrylic to avoid light spill, and the other baffles are clear lexan. 

20210114_080651.thumb.jpg.8c717244da4a9bb9e67ea07a8b65389c.jpg

I have a question on the return lines. If I hook both to a Y, and one pump turns off will the flow from the remaining pump come back down like this?

20210114_074901.thumb.jpg.4aea6f91c3c90cfbfc02fe5145164ed3.jpg

20210114_074948.thumb.jpg.1e3c5e9bde69f1589ede101bbbb7e5a4.jpg

Rather than buying the fitting and testing it I figured I'd just ask. Thanks y'all!

Man, I'm getting so close to water it's exciting. I'm going hunting tonight and its sad I'd rather work on the tank! Haha, but gotta try to fill the freezer first. Have a good day everyone!

-CBO