Innovative Marine Aquariums

Josh's Nuvo 20

joshthebox

1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Been a couple of weeks with the new bulb combo, how do you like it?  How are the corals looking?  Anything different?

I definitely like the look of the combo, the colours pop a bit more! I can't really see a notable difference on the corals, but my alk consumption went up a bunch after I started changing the bulbs. This could be just due to the fact that the bulbs were dim, or maybe the corals were just continuing to grow. Regardless, I'm definitely going to stick to the new combo and see if I notice any long term changes! 

• Like 1

Here's a FTS of my new tank, it's been maturing well! I need to do something about some of the pieces on the bottom of the tank, so it's definitely not display worthy by any means. As far as corals go, I'm happy with my selection. I might add a pink birdsnest and palmer's blue millepora in the coming months. Just not sure where I'd place them 😂

I'm fairly impressed with the XR30 I won. It's been growing the SPS well! To be fair, I have T5's running with it as well, so I can't definitively attribute the growth to the LED. 

When I find some time I'll take a short video of the Nuvo 20. 

IMG_2952.JPG

IMG_2953.JPG

• Like 6
1 minute ago, joshthebox said:

Old tank 😞

Have you seen any bite marks?  

Ugh, big colonies are hard to dip clean. Sigh. I know a guy on IG that’s going thru full tank dipping regimen right now, but all of them still fit on frag plugs, and easy to inspect. A NR friend @pokerdobe went thru it last year and still just now about to restart restocking his display with acros.  Lost pretty much all of his big acro colonies. 

2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Have you seen any bite marks?  

Ugh, big colonies are hard to dip clean. Sigh. I know a guy on IG that’s going thru full tank dipping regimen right now, but all of them still fit on frag plugs, and easy to inspect. A NR friend @pokerdobe went thru it last year and still just now about to restart restocking his display with acros.  Lost pretty much all of his big acro colonies. 

I don't really see any signature bite marks, aside from some recession in certain areas. Yeah there's no way I can dip the acros without breaking the scape down. At that point i'm just going to rehome the acros if possible... I'll just stick to softies and clams if it comes down to it 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, joshthebox said:

I don't really see any signature bite marks, aside from some recession in certain areas. Yeah there's no way I can dip the acros without breaking the scape down. At that point i'm just going to rehome the acros if possible... I'll just stick to softies and clams if it comes down to it 

Just make sure you don’t accidentally move any over to the new tank either. 

Gonna be hard to find someone to accept this rehome, 😅. But never know, maybe someone has a coral quarantine tank they’re willing to give the acro treatment/rehab a go. 

good luck 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Just make sure you don’t accidentally move any over to the new tank either. 

Gonna be hard to find someone to accept this rehome, 😅. But never know, maybe someone has a coral quarantine tank they’re willing to give the acro treatment/rehab a go. 

good luck 

Thank you! Yeah I've already added some sps from the old tank to the new one a while back so i'm absolutely screwed 😂 

10 hours ago, joshthebox said:

Thank you! Yeah I've already added some sps from the old tank to the new one a while back so i'm absolutely screwed 😂 

Ty talked about his dip and acro qt around minute 55-56 mark, worth a listen if you're thinking of dipping, sounds like he uses one dip for everything

Edited by mitten_reef
forgot the link
  • Like 2

Chopped up the tank last night, and made a ton of massive frags. Woke up 6 hours later to find that all of them RTNd on me... I've never had a coral RTN before so it was crazy to see. Fortunately I moved my favourite pieces over to my new tank prior, so not all is lost. Still bummed. I'm keeping all the skeletons so I can use them in a calcium reactor when I eventually setup a large SPS display. Found this cracked heater, maybe it had something to do with it, not entirely convinced though because the fish in the tank are just fine. Cleaned and drained the tank as well. I guess this is the end of this thread. The journey was a ton of fun, when I removed the rocks I was in complete awe at how big the Acropora grew. I'll have to make a build thread for my new setup. 

IMG_3775.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Josh, sorry to see you aren't running this tank anymore. I have the same skimmer and was curious how you were able to make it work so well? I can get it to bubble, but it doesn't appear to produce any skim for me, and when it does, it's mostly just water. Maybe my water level is too low, because the bubbles don't come up the cone very far. It barely fits in my nuvo 25, and I can't use the magnet because it won't fit.. any advice? 

Right now I'm not using the skimmer, but I might retry if I can find a way to make it work better

• Like 1
6 hours ago, scrappy34 said:

Hey Josh, sorry to see you aren't running this tank anymore. I have the same skimmer and was curious how you were able to make it work so well? I can get it to bubble, but it doesn't appear to produce any skim for me, and when it does, it's mostly just water. Maybe my water level is too low, because the bubbles don't come up the cone very far. It barely fits in my nuvo 25, and I can't use the magnet because it won't fit.. any advice? 

Right now I'm not using the skimmer, but I might retry if I can find a way to make it work better

Hi, it took me a good while to get the skimmer to work. I found that removing the sponge in the pump helped, as well as making sure the pump is oriented with the air intake downwards, so that it has to loop up. The top of the pump needs to be a mm or two above the water level to skim sort of dry. Are you using the old model (blue one) or the new one that I believe is white in colour? 

1 hour ago, joshthebox said:

Hi, it took me a good while to get the skimmer to work. I found that removing the sponge in the pump helped, as well as making sure the pump is oriented with the air intake downwards, so that it has to loop up. The top of the pump needs to be a mm or two above the water level to skim sort of dry. Are you using the old model (blue one) or the new one that I believe is white in colour? 

I have the newest one, I will try taking the sponge out of the pump and see if it improves. Were you using the magnet? Thank you for your help, hopefully I can get it to work better with some of your suggestions 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, scrappy34 said:

I have the newest one, I will try taking the sponge out of the pump and see if it improves. Were you using the magnet? Thank you for your help, hopefully I can get it to work better with some of your suggestions 

Yep, the old model doesn't have a bracket to hold it up or anything like that. It fits in the back chamber perfectly. If you have any more questions just send them my way! Hope you can get it working well. 

• 1 month later...
Erik the Red
On 6/24/2021 at 4:30 PM, joshthebox said:

A little video I took. The white balance adjustment on my camera makes things look a bit washed out, but I tried! 

sorry to hear you’re breaking down the tank…but at the same time it’s fun to start something new, isn’t it?

May i ask you which schedule you used to run with your power-heads?

i have a similar sized tank and i am just trying to get some tips and tricks 🙂

thanks a lot and congrats on your tank winning the contest !

good luck with the new build

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Erik the Red said:

sorry to hear you’re breaking down the tank…but at the same time it’s fun to start something new, isn’t it?

May i ask you which schedule you used to run with your power-heads?

i have a similar sized tank and i am just trying to get some tips and tricks 🙂

thanks a lot and congrats on your tank winning the contest !

good luck with the new build

Thank you, agreed! I ran pulse mode to create a wave during the day when the lights were on, and reef crest mode at night. The pumps were setup anti-sync from each other so I could get good randomized flow. 

Erik the Red
18 hours ago, joshthebox said:

Thank you, agreed! I ran pulse mode to create a wave during the day when the lights were on, and reef crest mode at night. The pumps were setup anti-sync from each other so I could get good randomized flow. 

Thanks a lot!

last question then I’ll stop bothering you and the other users 😉

Were the pump set around 40-50% of the power or less?

Best of luck with the new build, I’ll keep following the updates!

thanks again 😁🤙

5 hours ago, Erik the Red said:

Thanks a lot!

last question then I’ll stop bothering you and the other users 😉

Were the pump set around 40-50% of the power or less?

Best of luck with the new build, I’ll keep following the updates!

thanks again 😁🤙

If I recall correctly, I think they were set at about 70% or so! I don't mind answering questions, if you have anymore, don't hesitate to ask! Thanks! 

• Thanks 1