Coral Vue Hydros

Josh's Nuvo 20

joshthebox

6 hours ago, Zer0 said:

This tank is spectacular! Is B-Ionic the only thing you dose?

Thank you! Aside from B-ionic, I've been dosing live phyto daily and amino acids every couple of days or so (AB+, Acropower, Fuel).

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Random question. I have an external overflow IM tank with the same depth as yours, but the full 15" instead of 12" or so for the aio. In your opinion would I better off with a 6 bulb t5 fixture, or would 4 get the job done? I see you're only using a 4 bulb fixture here

23 hours ago, Jaren45 said:

Random question. I have an external overflow IM tank with the same depth as yours, but the full 15" instead of 12" or so for the aio. In your opinion would I better off with a 6 bulb t5 fixture, or would 4 get the job done? I see you're only using a 4 bulb fixture here

T5 has some serious power, especially at a shallow depth. Honestly I think I'd go with the 6 bulb so you have a complete blanket of light from front to back, which is the equivalent to my 4 bulb fixture on the Nuvo 20. This is assuming you want an SPS dominant system. If you're just keeping LPS or softies, I'm sure a 4 bulb would do the trick! 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Some update shots. I've been away from the tank on and off this past month, and even though the tank is primarily on 'auto pilot', everything is doing well. The alk consumption keeps going up. Whenever I'm home to check up on it after about a week of being away, the alk is always low (5-6). 

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 2

I've started introducing Acros into my new tank, they seem to be doing well. I added a GE 6500K bulb to my new tank's lighting fixture, and I absolutely love the colour. I may have to switch out a coral + on my main display for a GE 6500K if I see good results on my new tank with it.

Also, my clowns did not play nice with the Gonis in the new tank, as the constant attempt to get them to host the clowns really did a number to their colour and PE. Now they reside in my Nuvo 20. Not so sure what I'll do long term as the Gonis will continue to grow... 

IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG

IMG_2263.JPG

IMG_2288.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 1:04 PM, TimeOrMoney said:

That looks awesome! Just started cycling the same tank today. Different light (Kessil). You may convince me to put a scrolling monti in there.. 

Thank you! Montipora are great, just make sure to give them plenty of space as they grow fast!

• Like 1

The growth always seems to be better when I leave town. I bet the empty house drives up the pH a ton. Every 2 weeks I complete a small waterchange on both of my tanks. Took care of my Nuvo 20 today and tomorrow I'll get to my shallow cube tank. 

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
On 8/1/2021 at 10:37 AM, joshthebox said:

I've started introducing Acros into my new tank, they seem to be doing well. I added a GE 6500K bulb to my new tank's lighting fixture, and I absolutely love the colour. I may have to switch out a coral + on my main display for a GE 6500K if I see good results on my new tank with it.

Also, my clowns did not play nice with the Gonis in the new tank, as the constant attempt to get them to host the clowns really did a number to their colour and PE. Now they reside in my Nuvo 20. Not so sure what I'll do long term as the Gonis will continue to grow... 

IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG

IMG_2263.JPG

IMG_2288.jpg

I just noticed you went from 4bulb T5 to T5/led hybrid.  how do you like the new setup so far?

And is that a T5 plant light in there for the mix?

7 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I just noticed you went from 4bulb T5 to T5/led hybrid.  how do you like the new setup so far?

And is that a T5 plant light in there for the mix?

The hybrid fixture is actually on my new tank (24"x24"x12"), the Nuvo 20 is still running a 4 bulb dimmable sunpower. I should really make a separate build thread for my new tank, sorry for misleading! I still think I prefer the look of purely T5, but the LED does give the tank a nice shimmer effect. Although the tropic GE 6500K bulb (I guess you can call it a plant light) has only been in the bulb combo for a bit now, I'm really in love with the look of daylight. Corals like the yellow Fiji leather and Oregon Tort look so good under the full spectrum. Plus lots of old school reefers swear by daylight lighting so I gave it a shot. I might throw a 6500k in the 4 bulb mix in my Nuvo 20 if I like the long term results on my new tank. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Swapped out the jebao doser on my Nuvo 20 with the new red sea doser. It's only been running for a few days now but i'm happy so far.  I'm up to 32ml of each component of ESV B-ionic daily. The jebao will be used on my new tank, just waiting on a dosing container. 

I finally got a frag of BigR Walt Disney for a steal of a deal ($75 CAD) from a reefer with a 750 gallon tank. It looks nice under daylight and really shines under blues. I left a lot of space for it to grow out in my new tank. My large pair of clowns are also regularly spawning which is cool. Unfortunately they lay in the back corner of the tank which makes it very difficult to take photos of them. One day I'll raise a batch!

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My yellow Fiji/Tongan Sacrophyton this morning. I hope it continues to grow fast, I wouldn't mind it taking over my reef. I wonder if it releases any detrimental chemicals in the water column though 😕 A lot of reefers avoid putting SPS and softies together, I wonder if it's fact or fiction? 

IMG_1975.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1