Coral Vue Hydros

RoyalGramma001
40 minutes ago, banasophia said:

A lot of NPS corals are not actually harmed by light, they just don’t need it. 

Sorry I’m not being very helpful... my lights are all stock lights so the spectrum is not adjustable like that. 😬🤗

That's totally fine I was just wondering for azoox gorgs as algae negatively effects them if it is growing on them

RoyalGramma001

@Humblefish my elegance coral has a brownish ball over its mouth for the past couple days and it has black specks in it. I tried removing it with a pipette but it wouldn't budge I think it has necrotic tissue what treatment do you recommend?

large.5E0C8619-487C-4171-95D3-CBFA577A459F.jpeg.f5135d346ea1a1ff82b2f9b41d8a1f45.jpeg

• Wow 1
RoyalGramma001

Anyone know what's the lowest I can have my lights percentage on to grow the corals I currently have but not enough to grow nuisance algae. The light is 59 watts

mitten_reef
On 12/26/2020 at 10:37 PM, RoyalGramma001 said:

Hi everyone, my old tank was a 20 gallon aqeuon with a tomato clownfish and a yellow watchman goby. This will be a slow thread as I'm a little tight with money at the moment, but I hope the end result will be fantastic. Anyways I picked up the top fin 55 gallon tank kit. I am aqua scaling it to have 2 clumps of rocks on both sides that slope into the middle like a trench. I was watching serpa design and he painted the back of his tank with Rust-Oleum acrylic black latex paint and I think I will do this to really get the trench vibe going. The goal of this tank is to not have many corals but have huge colonies that will fill the tank.

Tank:

TopFin 55 Gallon

Filter: One TopFin 75 Gallon Power Filter and an Aqueon 20 Gallon Whisper

Heater: TopFin 200 watt Heater

Skimmer: None

Light: Fluval Reef Tank Light 48 in and a Current Marine Orbit 24 inch that will lay on the lid

Wavemakers: Koralia 1150 gph

Livestock plans in order of introduction:

1x Yellow Watchman Goby (from current tank)

1x Tailspot Blenny

1x Tomato Clownfish (from current tank)

1x Royal Gramma

1x Some type of wrasse

1x Tomini Tang

1x Blue Mandarin from ORA

judging by this equipment list, and the fact that this tank is practically brand new.   a NPS-focused tank is not recommended, as they require a lot of feeding, both broadcast and spot-feed.  that equals heavy filtration to remove of excess N & P, or a well-established/matured tank.  and since you're concerned of algae growing over the NPS, with potential for high N&P lingering around, you get the point.  

best bet is to start with one piece, get it to thrive, then slowly adding more.  to get it to look like your mashed-up inspiration is gonna take a long time.  

RoyalGramma001
51 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

judging by this equipment list, and the fact that this tank is practically brand new.   a NPS-focused tank is not recommended, as they require a lot of feeding, both broadcast and spot-feed.  that equals heavy filtration to remove of excess N & P, or a well-established/matured tank.  and since you're concerned of algae growing over the NPS, with potential for high N&P lingering around, you get the point.  

best bet is to start with one piece, get it to thrive, then slowly adding more.  to get it to look like your mashed-up inspiration is gonna take a long time.  

Forgot to update the original list of stuff to the current things I have planned. Getting a hob reef octopus skimmer almost 3 times the gallon size of my tank. My plane was to start with some sun corals and a dendro as they are the easiest and work my way up from there. I will update the equipment list that was for the original plan in December.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
RoyalGramma001

Ok rocks came in today on the rough draft stage of aquascaping! Fun

thinking something like this but there will be more pedestals

large.88B920CE-5085-43CF-90D2-27CB5512E8B4.jpeg.d7f74901921fdf634a32e51036441cf8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
RoyalGramma001

large.60DDB4BC-7560-4B45-881C-95142A72E1EE.jpeg.dd4b5c700be49e5e4215cc0077d5c783.jpegHello everyone!

very excited. Got the new tank all set up and is cycling. I love the aquascape a lot and I still have 20 more pounds of rock in the old tank so do not worry if it looks shallow! Decided to go for a look with lots of caves and hiding spots. Went with Fiji pink sand from caribsea. Idk about fish I change my mind a lot because of just how much stuff there is out there! Still going to do nps in the tank as I think it looks cool. Lfs had some wrasses that were cool but I was looking at the blunt head wrasse. A smaller species of thallasoma that only gets around 6 inch. Heard they will eat crustaceans so going for a more fish tuned clean up crew with a blenny and an urchin that would be able to defend against the wrasse because of venom. Conchs should be ok against the thallasoma unless they can break shells. I guess it's up to the fish if it wants to eat them so I'll see how well behaved one might be. I also heard they're semi-aggressive which is better than a paddle fin wrasse which looks almost exactly alike which is a terror I've heard. Keeping stocking lower because of bioload but looking at maybe a fire fish, blenny, clownfish, goby, and maybe another semi aggressive fish like a cherub angel but maybe not against a blunt head wrasse. Rocks are secure in place but pistol shrimp likes to tunnel so I guess I'll see how long that lasts.

• Like 3
RoyalGramma001

I have a quick question, has anyone ever kept horseshoe crabs before? The lfs said they get around the size of a hockey puck but after some research it seems they grow larger. But I also heard they are slow growers. Also heard they usually starve from eating life in the sand bed but would it be possible to supplement their feeding with other foods? 

RoyalGramma001

Hi everyone! How is everyone doing?

I have added my first two fish to the new tank, a beautiful green chromis and an interesting convict blenny/engineer goby whatever you'd like to call it. In a couple of days I will add my current goby and in a couple of weeks I will add a horseshoe crab! Lots of exciting things to come hopefully!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
RoyalGramma001

Thinking of adding a fox face later this week but still researching I will probably upgrade at some point so it will not be in there all of its life.

RoyalGramma001

Really exciting day!!! I've moved a lot of rock over from the old tank and the convict blenny is doing great! Today I managed to find a Corazons damselfish at my fish store a good 4 inch fish fro $120 what a deal!!!

Ill take some pictures tomorrow with a cannon camera!

• Like 2
RoyalGramma001

Hey everyone today I got everything from the old 20 gallon transferred and today I got three new creatures, a royal gramma named James P. Sullivan, a cleaner shrimp named Pierre, and a purple firefish I named Roz from Monsters inc. because they look grumpy. I got a nice picture of my royal gramma but firefish hasn't been out and about yet. large.7563DC4C-BEE4-467D-ACF9-4F142AF6C984.jpeg.24153b519c2fe2e0e51f509c9d9de720.jpeg

James P. Sullivan the royal gramma!

• Like 4
On 6/5/2021 at 6:23 PM, RoyalGramma001 said:

Anyone know how long a tank needs to be established for a leopard wrasse?

There are a few wrasse keeping guru's and writeups on R2R, you may wanna ask over there, at the very least I don't but I figured I'd give ya' a place to look.

RoyalGramma001
4 hours ago, A.m.P said:

There are a few wrasse keeping guru's and writeups on R2R, you may wanna ask over there, at the very least I don't but I figured I'd give ya' a place to look.

Ok sounds like a plan I'd like to keep one.

• 4 weeks later...
RoyalGramma001

Hey everyone a little update I got a snowflake eel named muffins a couple weeks ago and has grown like crazy. Downside of that though it possibly ate 4 fish 😬. Here it is.large.900D5FD9-03BA-42D3-8DB3-137838B7F85D.jpeg.5a153b05e5a3b6ec69268108c12c7389.jpeglarge.FE511364-8423-4E6C-9534-4AEF6BC8DF91.jpeg.9ec8f7e1d177a7fd595113ac92644325.jpeglarge.815694BC-D12A-4EB5-ACD9-C94979965521.jpeg.fdf03b2818357cbbe75950e9b2c9bee2.jpeg

• Wow 2