Cultivated Reef

Red Sea Max Nano-New Setup

tahoeblue

Looking for a Nano Reef Guru expert to help me as I fire up my new Red Sea Max Nano setup. Just added Carib Sea Life Rock, Agra-Alive sand and RO/saltwater yesterday. I have kept nano reef tanks in the past, but it’s been some time. I work in  veterinary medicine, so I am a quick study, but tend to over complicate things. I want to keep things simple and ensure success with fish and some nice beginner corals.

You have about a month to start deciding

Put a SeaChem Ammonia Badge on it, nuisance algae does the same thing.  It can't grow in ammonia

Feed it a pinch or two of fish food each day

Keep the flow up

Jump start coralline algae with keeping lights on schedule, you have to add something that has coralline on it of course.  Or buy the bottled coralline, which didn't work for me

Dose your liquid bacteria each day

I would add CUC when the nuisance algae starts growing

Suggest inexpensive corals in 2 months.  Green star polyps, birds nest, zoas, xenia maybe if you like that

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, farkwar said:

You have about a month to start deciding

Put a SeaChem Ammonia Badge on it, nuisance algae does the same thing.  It can't grow in ammonia

Feed it a pinch or two of fish food each day

Keep the flow up

Jump start coralline algae with keeping lights on schedule, you have to add something that has coralline on it of course.  Or buy the bottled coralline, which didn't work for me

Dose your liquid bacteria each day

I would add CUC when the nuisance algae starts growing

Suggest inexpensive corals in 2 months.  Green star polyps, birds nest, zoas, xenia maybe if you like that

2 hours ago, tahoeblue said:

Excellent intel, thank you! How long should I run the lights each day?

Depends on your lights

I do blues and violets for 12 hours, with a 2 hour ramp up and down

And ramp up the whites in the middle of the day for 4 hours

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
kellyhanson193

I just purchased RS max nano arriving 1-13-21. I've decided to go with 15lbs of live rock packed in water from KP Aquatics..10lbs caribsea live sand. I'm still deciding about heater and for extra flow maybe the red sea 25 wavemaker. Soft coral tank with 3 fish. I'll let the tank cure and cycle at least 4 months before adding fish and wait for signs of coraline algae before adding coral. I'm in no rush and take my time and hopefully making better decisions for my new family members. If anyone has any information or suggestions about equipment ect...please share your thoughts. Thanks guys

When I started my first tank in feb 2020 I rushed it and most of the corals I bought first up either bleached and died or bleached and now are just starting to heal my first pair of clowns died from me not feeding the enough because I heard stories of people over feeding them. Now I am stocked to Capacity and regret buying so many corals for cheap instead of saving up and buy expensive ones now 😔. It is a Aqua one mini reef so same volume as Red Sea nano.