Innovative Marine Aquariums

AI Hydra Program for Nano w/ Lower Light Corals

BigMike80

After watching reef builders Nano build series I really like the look of his coral selection and he mentions them being hardier and lower light. Does anyone have a good AI Program for a tank with corals having lower light requirements? I like his idea of giving enough light to make them happy while minimizing algae growth.

Here’s a follow up video of that series.

1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

What sized tank,coral species you want,blah blah lol ? That would be helpful in trying to form a schedule. 

I have an IM Nuvo 20 and for corals I’d like to style it after that reefbuilders nano tank. mostly hardy soft corals, leathers, LPS corals, some zoanthids and a RBTA. 

Thanks for the advice. Here’s a list of the corals I’d like to add to this tank based off of the reef builders nano video series.

Green Star Polyps
Torch Coral
Hammer Coral
Tiger striped Candy Coral
Prism Favia
Trachyphyllia
Acan Pachysepta
Acan Echynata
Green Polyp Leather
Long Polyp Leather
Sinularia Finger Leather
Duncanopsammia

So based on you list,your target goal should be around 80-150ish near the bottom of the tank,and around 200-210 near the top of the rock work. I would suggest getting a par meter rental somewhere and adjusting your lights to whatever it is you desire,write the percentages down and do pre-sets accordingly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

So based on you list,your target goal should be around 80-150ish near the bottom of the tank,and around 200-210 near the top of the rock work. I would suggest getting a par meter rental somewhere and adjusting your lights to whatever it is you desire,write the percentages down and do pre-sets accordingly. 

Thanks for the advice!  I really had no idea where to even start.  

• 2 weeks later...

Most corals do not have high light requirements, BTW.  The ones that do are exceptional.   Clams (no, not a coral) are another exception.

I wouldn't take light settings for my system from the internet, BTW....maybe, at most, as a guideline or starting point.

Use a light meter to make your own settings.  An inexpensive lux meter will do, but use a PAR meter if you have access to one.  (Doesn't really matter.  Use *some kind* of light meter.  There are even free lux meter apps if you're too cheap. They can be a little hinky (it's an app!!), so be prepared to experiment a little.)

Something around 200-300 PAR or 10,000-15,000 lux is generally fine.  More is often OK, but not necessarily better and possibly harmful under some conditions.  Generally, I kinda target 10,000-30,000 lux.  But my old halide system was belting my tank with around 60,000+ lux and it was all-good.   Full sun at sea level in the tropics is 100,000 lux, BTW, or 2,000 PAR.

Set the color by eye – select a blend that "looks 20,000K" and which appeals to your eye.  Usually that's a lot of blue and only a little white – other emitter colors should generally be OFF.