Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dosing Pumps for a 22 gallon Nano

Nargard

To start, I know nothing about dosing pumps. I am trying to educate myself on the topic as I am slowly gathering equipment for my 1st nano reef build, a 22 long with a fiji-12 sump. My goal is to have softies, lps, and sps with the correct number of fish that my volume can handle. Any suggestions for reasonably priced dosing pumps that are reliable would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BRS 1.1l/m pump is probably the best. I have a Neptune DOS, but only because of my Apex. 

The CoralBox wifi pump has good reviews. 

You could go with a Jebao, which I run on a planted tank. Not as reliable but priced very well. 

• Like 1
On 12/22/2020 at 4:34 PM, mfield16 said:

BRS 1.1l/m pump is probably the best. I have a Neptune DOS, but only because of my Apex. 

The CoralBox wifi pump has good reviews. 

You could go with a Jebao, which I run on a planted tank. Not as reliable but priced very well. 

So now I'm diving down the Apex rabbit hole......

What is your experience and thoughts on using this system? It looks incredible (and expensive!).

I like it and haven't had any issues since setting mine up. I've read that the DDR sensors can fail, but I look at my levels in the container often, so that really doesn't matter to me. I went that route as I already had the apex, and I wanted to be able to easily view everything without needing another app. I already have the Kessil app for my light, and the MyIA app for my powerhead. 

2 minutes ago, mfield16 said:

I like it and haven't had any issues since setting mine up. I've read that the DDR sensors can fail, but I look at my levels in the container often, so that really doesn't matter to me. I went that route as I already had the apex, and I wanted to be able to easily view everything without needing another app. I already have the Kessil app for my light, and the MyIA app for my powerhead. 

What components do you control off of the Apex? Or do you use it mainly to monitor water chemistry?

Temp, salinity, orp for no reason other than it came with the probe, 2 return pumps, powerhead, ddr, dos, leak detection, auto feeder when I am out of town (currently), ATO. I manually enter the water parameters just to track.

• Like 1
On 12/21/2020 at 10:48 PM, Nargard said:

a 22 long with a fiji-12 sump. My goal is to have softies, lps, and sps with the correct number of fish that my volume can handle.

That's not going to be many fish – that's small!  😉 Zero is an acceptable number of fish, BTW – there's no rule that says you have to have any.  You can have a coral-only tank, or invert-only.  I did that for a long time.  👍

22 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

That's not going to be many fish – that's small!  😉 Zero is an acceptable number of fish, BTW – there's no rule that says you have to have any.  You can have a coral-only tank, or invert-only.  I did that for a long time.  👍

Ha! I wasn't clear in my post. I've been so focused on creating an environment suitable for corals that I forgot to mention fish! I will be asking for recommendations when I get that far for sure. There will certainly be fish!

• Like 1