Fluval Spec 60L

stock light (removed)

3w blue LED (removed)

AI Prime16 HD 

18w Innovative Marine Fuge light (off)

5.4kg dry rock

4kg dry sand

TMC Reef Tide 4000

InTank media basket (chamber 1) with BioMax filter media and floss.

InTank basket chamber 2 with Chaeto (removed as turned to black gunk). chamber 2 now has Some rubble and the light mounting bracket.

100w heater

TMC 4000 powerhead 

cycle method= Red Sea Reef Mature. 

D-D jump guard lid

H2Ocean ATO

Fish:

1 x Yellow Goby

1 x Tailspot Blenny

Inverts:

1 x Nassarius snail Bruce

1 x Dwarf Conch

3 x Bumble Bee snail

2 x Astrea snails

1 x Herman the Red Legged Hermit

3 x Dalmatian hermits (tiny)

2 x Cerith snails

1 x Electeic blue hermit named Titan (given away as was to big) 😞 

1 x Skunk Shrimp

Corals:

GSP

Green Kenya Tree

Branching Frogspawn 

Greentip Torch

Purple Candyapple Zoa

Rainbow implosion Zoa

Rainbow Incinerator Zoa

Planned stock/ideas:

Mesh lid

AI prime HD

H2Ocean nano top off

temp controller

Purple Firefish or Helfrishi Firefish?

Blood Shrimp

Hammer on biggest rock (Center piece coral)

Mini Zoa island (on smallest rock, front of display)

Arch rock.... maybe something encrusting, not sure the light will be capable, still thinking ideas for that)

Rock Flower nem maybe

further research needed.....

Deceased stock 😔 (I’m not proud of this)

3x Ocellaris Clownfish named TigerRoll. 

Sashimi (clown)

Sushi (clown)

Cheato (melted)

2 x feeder shrimp (liquidised in powerhead)

1 x feeder shrimp (lasted 10 days)

Zoa Luna Eclipse (single polyp) 

Edited by Sealybomb
Keeping things up to date
  • Like 2

Sounds good to me..... my water is very milky at the moment though! 
will be posting my progress here so feel free to point me in the right direction at any point 😆

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sealybomb said:

And added fishies 😎 24hrs later still alive!! 

CEE8A762-830E-46BB-B0AA-06910ADA9F45.jpeg

Cute clowns. 🙂

You might want to check on the little guy at the top - if his poop is white and stringy as indicated in the pic, it *could be a sign of internal parasites. Just something worth checking over. 👍

28 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Cute clowns. 🙂

You might want to check on the little guy at the top - if his poop is white and stringy as indicated in the pic, it *could be a sign of internal parasites. Just something worth checking over. 👍

Ok..... what would the action be against them? I do not have a qt and only these two little guys are in there with a snail.

what should I be looking out for ect?

Ok so here is an update. 3 days ago (Thursday) I tested (Red Sea test kit) some parameters ammonia=0, nitrite=0-0.1,  nitrate ~20ppm.

I took delivery of 1x nassarius snail and 2x ocellaris clowns (very small but one slightly larger).

The snail, named Bruce, is doing fine and is fairly often out and about. A tiny red hermit called Herman appears to be doing well but I hardly see him.

The smaller clown, Sushi, is doing fine also.

The slightly larger clown, RIP Sushimi, was paler in colour, seemed to have weird looking poop hanging off him and didn’t eat like Sushi did. On Saturday morning he was dead 😔

now I know we shouldn’t rush these things but I did a 20% WC and parameters looking good I went to my LFS and got another small clown..... reason being is Sushi is doing great so kinda tells me it isnt my water quality that’s the issue. 
So now we have Sushi and TigerRoll. Tiger is slightly smaller again but already doesn’t appear to be looking good 😖 he’s frantically swimming around the surface and gets blown around by the water movement. He was acclimated for 30 mins and had a 20min journey from the LFS.

I really have my fingers crossed that he pulls through but tbh I don’t have my hopes up very high after seeing how he behaves.

if he dies I will wait a couple weeks and try again. I really wanted a pair instead of one lonely fish!!! I also don’t want to be killing any fish! 
what is the survival rate of these guys in a new set up? (Tank cycled in just over 6 weeks) am I just being unlucky here? 
if anyone reads this feel free to let me know your thoughts, and a thank you to those who have helped me along so far 🙏  

very sorry to hear that.

good luck with the new one. my lonely clown lurks in a corner all day, and then wanders around at night. i wonder if he had a companion would he be more outgoing. initially i decided against 2 clowns because i figured once they paired they'd rule the tank and terrorize any other inhabitants, or else they'd fight until one was dead.

i don't know how others do it but i kept just the blue lights on for a day when i introduced him, and will probably do the same when i add the next fish. and room lights out. i'm about the least experienced person here so i can't give advice.

7 hours ago, rough eye said:

very sorry to hear that.

good luck with the new one. my lonely clown lurks in a corner all day, and then wanders around at night. i wonder if he had a companion would he be more outgoing. initially i decided against 2 clowns because i figured once they paired they'd rule the tank and terrorize any other inhabitants, or else they'd fight until one was dead.

i don't know how others do it but i kept just the blue lights on for a day when i introduced him, and will probably do the same when i add the next fish. and room lights out. i'm about the least experienced person here so i can't give advice.

Haha your not the least experienced, you are on par with me! 😂

this morning both Sushi and Tiger are alive and Tiger at the moment doesn’t appear as erratic as yesterday so that’s a good sign. 
I have had the small blue light (3w) on yesterday for a couple hours then it was lights off for the night.

at about midnight I saw Herman the hermit out and about climbing a rock and this morning Bruce the Nass is going for a walk.

im feeling a bit more confident at the moment and will try feeding soon to see how that goes!

I have seen that clowns can live as a single fish but do better when paired up. That’s the only reason I wanted 2. With these small setups you need to be careful with stocking and having two will really cut down anything else I can keep in there in the future.

thanks for keeping an eye on my thread 😎 

• Like 1

Herman chose a shell he likes 😎 I only had him for about a week and it was clear he wanted to move out of the old shell (he kept “sizing up” a similar sized shell for a couple of days) so I placed in a few shells that were slightly bigger. Next morning he was in! Coolest thing to happen in this tank! And might have spurred me to get an electric blue hermit!! I look forward to getting him!! 

FB6F9F31-512F-4D51-AB7F-FA090F5D1FE4.jpeg

B85F5B0F-7E28-44B9-B9D6-ECEA06F6942B.jpeg

• Like 2

So this is awkward.... trip to the fish store to get some water (plus I like to go there, have a nose around). Seen the live feeder shrimp sold at £0.25 each so I think this might be a cool little addition. Probably should have done a bit more research into it but I didn’t. Anyway I give them a good acclimate and put them in. I was supposed to have 2 but the guy put in 3 by accident.

so in they go. Cool critters! Immediately they start picking at things. All over the place and super active. Great.

I saw one of them go close to the powerhead and it looked a bit dodgy but then he seemed to be able to easily swim away from it. 

Problem is I’m sat eating my dinner and hear the powerhead make a funny noise. I look at the tank and I have made frigging shrimp soup! 2 of them, at the same time sucked into it like something from a horror movie! 
My guess is 2 of them went through together 😖 probably held on to each other in a panic! Fml

so now there is just one. I’m hoping he doesn’t try the same crap that his buddies did. Also hopefully this incident doesn’t ruin the tank! Not sure what it’s going to do to my levels 😣 will do a good water change first thing in the morning and have a good clean up! Anyone know how long it will take for 2 freshly liquidised shrimps to turn into ammonia?

really gutted as these guys were fun to watch! 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, rough eye said:

better than it happening to a fish. is there some sort of guard on the ph? what kind is it?

Scroll up a bit, there is a pic of the box. No additional guard just the standard cover thing that comes with it.

2 shrimp went into the PH and I recovered half of 1 body (they were about 3/4” long).

will change filter pad in the morning, 20% WC and dose a bit of Prime just to be on the safe side 👍

• Like 1

I’m super excited about this! A bunch of heads have opened already and they absolutely pop in colour under the stock blue LEDs 😎 as always probably the camera doesn’t do justice but I think you can still see it....

192E6F00-93F0-4F4F-A0D9-8482F6B26D83.jpeg

• Like 1

This is pretty cool. So my GSP looks good under blue light (not the stock light but a 3w night light, from Amazon) ... so I just shined a laser pointer, the UV LED, and wow!! 😳 

might play around with getting a UV strip put in for evening viewing at some point 🤪

ps let me know if that’s a terrible idea!

(the first pic is night light, 2nd shining small laser pen)

B8E7691F-C529-4ECB-A46C-3EF4237AD5EF.jpeg

5C1879C3-0C42-427E-9C63-5570F394BE7D.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to get rid of Titan the electric blue hermit. He was just to big!! Such a lovely looking critter though, glad I got to spend some time with him 😎 took him to my LFS 👍

looking forward to my display algeas turning up tomorrow!!! Fingers crossed they all don’t just melt on me!

• Like 2