Pod Your Reef

Sealybomb’s Fluval Spec 60L

Sealybomb

Gonna have to move my frogspawn 😣 he doesn’t seem to like the light settings I have and I don’t want to change them as everything else is doing well.

added some named Zoas and they appear to be doing well. One of the little colonies split when I took them off the plug so now they are dotted around the rock and fingers crossed they can attach themselves. Just before writing this I spotted another tiny aiptasia so will deal with him shortly!

cleaner shrimp and yellow neon goby have been in for about a week and last night the shrimp moulted 😎 and 4 days ago I added a tail spot blenny and the torch 😝 

3F4DC92F-DD74-46CC-84BD-FE49C27142FD.jpeg

E77E1E6F-4156-4925-B80B-7F460B1F4B41.jpeg

08AD3A2F-8E9A-436D-B16E-0DFB74F0DB64.jpeg

C1B5BD72-1005-4AA9-8A5C-A85BA0ED1823.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

@Murphych thanks mate.... yeah I defo feel like I am learning a lot.

For example... my torch coral seems to be doing fantastic but the frogspawn withered away and died. The frogspawn had one head when I got it but there was another “dead head” on its skeleton. Now I know you shouldn’t get a euphyllia that has a head that already died! I got it very cheap and was hoping I could save it.

another mistake I made was with my Zoa frag. I removed them from the plug and the bit of rock they were on broke up. I placed them in the tank hoping they might attach themselves.... nope!! I now have two individual polyps glued to snail shells! I really hope they grow and a hermit moves into the shell 😆 maybe one day haha I will defo post it here if they do!

and last tip I learnt..... if you alk drops, don’t just dump a load of it in to bring it back up 😂 I’m pretty sure that’s what nuked half my GSP! 

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 9:08 PM, Murphych said:

How's the tank going mate ?

Ummm not 100% sure right now!! I have had to leave it with the Mrs for 2 weeks (and she doesn’t really have an interest in fish!) but she told me everything is doing ok 😂 which could mean anything!! 
GSP was really damaged and had some weird “stuff” growing on it.... the bits that were healthy I have split to grow on a rock so will have to see how that’s doing when I’m home. Due to work though I’m hardly going to see it until end of May so that’s worrying!!! 
If everything is good then though will be going softie shopping 😎

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2021 at 10:12 AM, Murphych said:

Yes mate looking good!!

Thanks buddy, yeah looks good. There are some issues going on though when you have a closer look. Thing I’m most happy about is I finally have new growth! I rescued a single Zoa polyp from the store. It was in an empty tank that clearly wasn’t being maintained. I asked the bloke if I could have it and in the last 2 weeks (it’s been there for approx 2 months) it has sprouted around 8 new heads 😎

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

I have 2 euphyllias. The anchor is doing fantastic but the frogspawn has been really struggling the last couple of weeks. I thought it was my water/lighting and although I have done WCs I haven’t messed with anything else and my levels are always pretty consistent. Today I spotted this little mother f&^*#>! A Flat worm!!!  I plan to manually remove it and see if I can spot any eggs ☹️

15AC2F41-50DB-4DB1-9796-D4AE1151432D.jpeg

58C99839-3B18-484E-91B1-999F5ADC664B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/21/2021 at 9:51 PM, Murphych said:

Updates??? 

On 8/21/2021 at 9:58 PM, rough eye said:

yes, and about time for a full tank shot.

Been a while, my bad 😣 

been away since august a lot with work…. Tank has suffered a lot as a result. All fish and shrimps doing good, GSP, Kenya tree and Zoas doing very well/spreading but the torch and hammer corals didn’t make it. A lot of algae going on and in need of a good clean!!! Will post a couple pics later of the good and the bad!! 

On 8/21/2021 at 9:51 PM, Murphych said:

Updates??? 

On 8/21/2021 at 9:58 PM, rough eye said:

yes, and about time for a full tank shot.

Been a while, my bad 😣 

been away since august a lot with work…. Tank has suffered a lot as a result. All fish and shrimps doing good, GSP, Kenya tree and Zoas doing very well/spreading but the torch and hammer corals didn’t make it. A lot of algae going on and in need of a good clean!!! Will post a couple pics later of the good and the bad!! 

CB82A13A-713F-4A9D-AFE2-576714C270E9.jpeg

D686F686-1935-4944-8AD8-DE5A0EC2CCD3.jpeg

AB101980-AD8C-43BD-B5F3-30A2EF6A87E0.jpeg

6ACA8E5B-CC44-4762-A269-8B4E188214EE.jpeg

3BBC96BE-345D-44BB-B5DA-8C971D2F4BC3.jpeg

• Like 3

I am happy that my fish are healthy, most of my (easy) corals are doing great…. Not happy with how crap it all looks…. Even though I know algae is fine for the fish, no one likes the way it looks!! 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Sealy,

Great looking tank. I just modded a Spec 16 as well and had a question for you...did you seal the lower intake in chamber 1? looks like you have some silicone over it? Im Noob reefer and tank is started but that's not sealed up and I feel like I'm losing out on flow into the in tank media chamber. Can I use silicon in wet tank or do I need to find a piece of plastic and use super glow to bind it down? advice? thx!

• 3 weeks later...

@emmysnewtank sorry for the late reply! I can only think you mean the small hole near the base in chamber 2? If so then yes I blocked that using a little plug I got as a freebie when I bought an InTank media basket. I siliconed it in place (used proper aquarium safe stuff) while the tank had water in it. Gel super glue should work just fine but might be a bit messy.

hope you new tank is doing ok, let us know how u are getting on!

• Like 2

Definitely some growth happening. My Kenya tree has about 8 “babies” so in a couple of months I will need to prune them!! One cluster of Zoas is doing great and most doing some growth but very slow …. Some of them have shrunk to almost nothing 😣 GSP is making a great recovery! I posted somewhere about my GSP melting away but I seem to have managed to rescue the smallest amount (about the size of a finger nail) and now it’s grown in three places around about the same size as my palm!

still have a small red patch of cyano but doesn’t seem to spread or do anything and as I haven’t touched the sand bed in months I plan on just leaving it be. The algae covered rocks are much better now too, still little bits here and there but they look good….. the result of tweaking my cleaning routine 😎 the whole system is now about 50 weeks old!! And I’m almost confident in saying, even though I have stopped testing my water, that I’m a good little nano reefer 😛 and also thank you here to the people that have given advice along the way, cheers 🍻 

35FA2B00-A41F-425F-83B3-867AC2A27775.jpeg

6B63C9AC-C227-4E6D-A27B-9AC72CBCD896.jpeg

BB8F27AE-2F72-4F9C-A15A-A3965729DB5A.jpeg

7C09BCEB-1867-474C-A284-EC7BD49B994D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This is upsetting. My Duncan decided to melt …. After the flesh had gone you can see that 2 baby heads were also growing.

im not testing like I should be as I left my test kit in work (got a small tank there too). WC have been routinely done and everything else is looking much healthier.

also I’m looking at starting my own cultures for plankton, pods, brine and mysis 😎 it’s more of a practice just to see if I can grow them for a future build I have in mind. The wife doesn’t know yet but I plan (dream) on a large IM macro tank with seahorses and mandarins. It’s gonna be a while yet though ….

68A7DD8B-704D-4743-AB35-975509BD2720.jpeg

6ECD357D-3EB0-460F-AFB7-CDC10A9B9C0B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I know there is a bunch of ID threads out there but if anyone could help me identify this it would be appreciated 🙃 I believe it’s some kind of algae and although it is getting bigger I’m not to concerned about it. For info I have a small patch of bubble algae and a few patches of green hair but this is something else.

picture sent the best but the stuff I’m asking about is groaning under the mushroom…..

5660F347-3330-435A-B95D-89A81330A6A0.jpeg

F3A8DB17-7CA8-4921-A22A-51C34C3D614A.jpeg

2BB7BDF5-1A3A-4781-B802-0916FF325CC8.jpeg

F761C6F0-AF64-469F-9F36-F4D2EA1ABD93.jpeg

EB99DE06-FFCC-46B8-A44F-E1F4D7DE0301.jpeg

22 hours ago, Maas101 said:

It looks like bryopsis to me. If it is I suggest removal asap, it can be a nightmare to control if it takes hold.

17 hours ago, Murphych said:

Second that! 👍🏼

That’s good enough for me guys! Thanks for the help 😎

woke up this morning and it seems to have heard what you wrote…. And decided to make a run for it! 😂 should make removal easier!

177F056C-BE71-44C9-BB1C-D82E118B6EF0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I am allowed a new fish tank and want some opinions, let me explain…..

me and the wife should be moving into a new house soon and she has agreed that I am allowed one fish tank which I can put in the hallway. Obvs it will have to be a good looking setup.

I will have to do my own research of course but I’m thinking something like an IM possibly the peninsular (as you walk in the end would be facing the door allowing for a full view into the little marine world!)

my experience is with a small Fluval so this will be a big jump. I don’t test very often as I rely on my water changes to keep things in check but that’s going to change with a bigger setup I imagine 😣 I have zero exp with skimmers or dosers etc 

Its going to be a while before she lets me spend money on this stuff but just wanted to know people opinions. If you were in my situation what would you get, what would you stock? I love the ideas of something like a snowflake although I’m aware of the size tank they need. I also love the idea of a micro algae setup. My current tank is just over 1yr old and would also like to see the corals and rock I have given a chance to continue in a new set up. Anyways what do you think? 

• Like 1