Pod Your Reef

Question on setting up treatment tank

Sector001

So, i have Ich in my 20 gallon nano and I need to set-up a treatment tank fast. Problem is, I don't think I have enough bio-media in the nano to put in the treatment tank. I have a mesh bag with MarinePure 1.5 inch Bio balls but I don't want to take too many out. I think there is about 8 in the bag. It's a Waterbox 20 cube so have no sump.
All my rocks have coral on them, so I can't pull a rock out.
Can I cycle quickly by adding Seachem Seed and Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride?

Looking for any suggestions.

I would ask your LFS for some cycled media and explain the situation or see if you can hit up some local reefers for some media. That's what's worked for me in the past when I needed to cycle a tank fast. Unfortunately there is no real "instant" cycle aside from using already cycled media. I feel like you'd be alright to set up a 10 gallon with the heat cranked up and a few bio balls taken out of your main display. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Sector001 said:
So, i have Ich in my 20 gallon nano and I need to set-up a treatment tank fast. Problem is, I don't think I have enough bio-media in the nano to put in the treatment tank. I have a mesh bag with MarinePure 1.5 inch Bio balls but I don't want to take too many out. I think there is about 8 in the bag. It's a Waterbox 20 cube so have no sump.
All my rocks have coral on them, so I can't pull a rock out.

If this is to treat a fish in an emergency situation. I have set one up with just a sponge filter and biospira and monitored. I did water changes every few days in the first week or two just to be certain.

Not all Bacteria products are equal for a quick cycle. Biospira and fritz seem to be the best. 

• Like 1
On 12/20/2020 at 7:54 PM, Sector001 said:

i have Ich in my 20 gallon nano

What is the current state of the outbreak?  What are the signs?

I don't think I have enough bio-media in the nano to put in the treatment tank. I have a mesh bag with MarinePure 1.5 inch Bio balls but I don't want to take too many out.

If the main tank has a normal quantity of live rock (bonus point if there is a sand bed), then 100% of the fake bio-media is extra.  The main tank might even do better without it. 

You can cycle an unstable tank quickly...that's about it.  Possible, but not ideal.

A better option to me, depending on what you say about the current state of the outbreak, is to set up a UV filter (you'll need an oversized unit since you aren't just targeting wimor a micron filter (or both if you want).  Consider using one of the better-known reef-safe ich treatments like Kick Ich at the same time.

If the infection is acutely bothering any fish, give them one or two dechlorinated, temperature-matched tap water dips per day if you are able to catch the fish easily.  (There's no use if you have to chase them around the tank a lot to catch them.  Be clever...do not use brute force.)